The online racing simulator
Chatting too much?
(53 posts, started )
Have you seen this Saberskunk race yet? :ices_rofl
Was at a friends house and they were using X-Fire to chat with their mates while playing a full screen game.
LFS is the the list of games that are compatible, anyone tried this?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I think you should be allowed to talk as much as you like, theres a button to block messages after all.

ive been playing lfs since 2002... and i have nooo idea what button you gotta press to acheive this. :lol:
"-"
Quote from Turbo Dad :Was at a friends house and they were using X-Fire to chat with their mates while playing a full screen game.

i seem to remember that an earlier version of lfs was compatible, but S2 wasnt. i havent tried recently but it didnt work about 6 months ago.
Quote from SamH :Teamspeak works as a wonderful glue for a good evening of racing, I've found. I strongly recommend it.

TS or Skype "ftw"
I dont want to block Chat Messages but I really hate the ugly Sound LFS gives when theres a new Chat Message, it goes CLINCK - CLINCK - CLINCK - CLINCK - CLINCK makes me crazy
#33 - mr_x
Quote from Turbo Dad :Was at a friends house and they were using X-Fire to chat with their mates while playing a full screen game.

hmmm I might have to try that, I usually use Ventrilo, but when I'm playing online with one of my mates (who also uses xfire) he doesn't like using vent, so might have to try this next time! :P

Quote from George Kuyumji :I dont want to block Chat Messages but I really hate the ugly Sound LFS gives when theres a new Chat Message, it goes CLINCK - CLINCK - CLINCK - CLINCK - CLINCK makes me crazy

I always thought it was more of a ffffssshhhh
Teamspeak is a brilliant resource that can be used for teams. During league racing its an excellent tool, apart from the "oh bugger" that seems to be projected from my mouth at every messed up turn.

On the subject of chatting, I wouldn't know how I'd cope without it. It all adds to the LFS experience.
Quote from mr_x :hmmm I might have to try that, I usually use Ventrilo, but when I'm playing online with one of my mates (who also uses xfire) he doesn't like using vent, so might have to try this next time! :P

I always thought it was more of a ffffssshhhh

Yes your right, it is more a FFFFFSSSHHHH - FFFFFFSSSHHH - FFFFSSSSHHH - it gets SO ANNOYING - is this supposed to stay in the Game - how can I shut it off ?
there are some sound files you can rename (or delete) in your snd folder message.raw and sysmessage.raw this will stop the sounds you mention

I like to chat and read the chat whilst driving

SD.
S2 Has had patches since then I reckon, It might work, or it might not.
Quote from Quint999 :even worse than constant chatting

someone constantly commentating on the race ( very badly i might add) whilst your trying to get on with it

There is a "-" that blocks messages.
#39 - Jakg
Quote from xWolFx :S2 Has had patches since then I reckon, It might work, or it might not.

it still works (just tested it)
I dont know, what you call "spamming", but for me it is, when somebody sends the same line over and over again or if he just writes nonsense. Thats of course not acceptable.

A normal conversation or somebody commentating on a good pass or sth is hardly spamming IMO.
Like you can sometimes read on several servers:

Less chat better racing
Quote from zeugnimod :I dont know, what you call "spamming", but for me it is, when somebody sends the same line over and over again or if he just writes nonsense. Thats of course not acceptable.

A normal conversation or somebody commentating on a good pass or sth is hardly spamming IMO.

I'm with you there. If someone asked me politely to stop commentating, then I would have done that. But if someone literally said it differently, in a harsh or rude manner, then clearly things are going to get worse before they get better.
Quote from Quint999 :PS nice edit, i saw the original reply.

Lol?

If you mean me, I just added the last sentence to the first paragraph.

Some people read their posts again after submitting them and add something to them after 30 seconds then. It doesnt even show as an edit. illepall
Quote from Quint999 :Actually you was asked politely, to which you took great offence.

I'll back down here and suggest this .. go try out your constant commenting skills unannouced and uninvited on various servers during the race and see what response you get. If its favourable , then fair enough, i apologise.

I'll admit its a bit unexpected, I was trying to liven up the events. Darkone did it on the Redline server unexpectingly and it was a huge sucess. Thought I'd give it a try myself, and you were the only that complained. I didn't see anyone else. Especially for those that spectated.

Anyway, I'll "STFU" (which I admit, chatting too much is a flaw for myself) and race, and compliment, until asked which brings into a conversaion.

Happy racing.
Quote from Quint999 :STFU was certainly not said by me , or any swearing at any point . If that was said , maybe someone else also disagreed

My 1st comment was "Do you mind not doing that, thats extremely annoying"

which to be faiir could have been much politer, so i apologise for any offence

Agreed its just my personal opinion so i'll STFU as well

My apologies, I should have stopped commentating on that comment. I was referring to myself as a way of saying "STFU" (My Dad says that to me as a laugh)

No one insulted or swore on that server as I recall.

Glad to see we cleared this up.

Happy Racing once again
Quote from Modoff :haha yea mr rodgers when u block messages its a prime oppurtunity to talk some s*** . I only go on lfs to talk anymore lol cus it kinda kinda borring. How i see it, if they dont want to read my chat, block messages. When I am racing I am either still talking or just ignoring it, it doesnt bother me when people chat while im racing. Unless they ask me for my setup a million times when I'm on a hotlap or in a good battle. Thats usually the only people I wont give my set to is people who bother me about it.

Can i have ur set please?
Quote from Modoff :Thats usually the only people I wont give my set to is people who bother me about it.

to whom is he giving his setups then?

i dont have any problems with chat sound and i dont bother deleting its file, "-" key is alright with me.

but i cant figure out (this topic was risen many times at this forum) how to disable server messages
I think, Shift + "-".
What I hate is when you're in a race with a lot of people and after the first turn you're about mid field and all the people that wrecked in T-1 keep voting for a restart and getting canceled - over and over... having it block the map
and then seeing yellowflag on the screen but not knowing where cause all those people are voting for a restart - then you slam into some body right
after you've given up on trying to make sense of the map, buried under all the restart votes.
I have to quote SamH at this :

"I get to know people by talking while sitting on the pit wall during races, having a smoke and drinking a coffee.. wouldn't be without it. If ya don't like, then "-" us "

Also racing more than chatting suits me fine too
Quote from SparkyDave :there are some sound files you can rename (or delete) in your snd folder message.raw and sysmessage.raw this will stop the sounds you mention

I like to chat and read the chat whilst driving

SD.

Thanks
#52 - Gunn
Say no to LFMSN!
#53 - SamH
LFSkype FTW

Chatting too much?
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG