The online racing simulator
Pc advice
(24 posts, started )
Pc advice
I'm looking to get a new pc for gaming but my budget is around £600 (is that $750 or something?)

So far i have found this pc which is cheap but has some decent kit on

follow me

What are your views on this pc? Will it play most new games?

Also, i have found this one

http://www.cclonline.com/produ ... =80&manufacturer_id=0
#2 - Jakg
build it yourself - the first pc is a "hypermemory", which means that it doesn't have a graphics card, it leeches power of the rest of the computer

EDIT - Wrong, it does have a graphics card, and the card has a small amount of memory but leeches the rest of the power of the rest of the system - still not ideal for gaming though
Quote from jaws99 :I'm looking to get a new pc for gaming but my budget is around £600 (is that $750 or something?)

Actually closer to 1130$

Building yourself yields the best result most of the time. Those cheap pre-built PC's are usually cheap because they saved some money on some rather unimportant looking parts, or actually openly advertise the drawback as a "feature" (shared memory, onboard GFX and other crappy stuff...).
So is a hypermemory card not very good?
#5 - Ziil
You gotta have a separate graphics card if you want to play any 3D games (besides REALLY old ones). You can always find a cheap graphics card on sites like www.newegg.com, so you can buy a bundled computer and upgrade it later.

However, make sure that the mother board on the computer you are about to purchase is compatible with the latest graphic card formats.

EDIT if you are on a budget you can buy yourself an older 128mb PCI-e card, that's gonna last you a couple of years.
tbh i'm looking for something i can just get in a package without farting about getting differant bits.
Well, okay, but don't come back and whine that LFS runs shitty because the gfx card doesn't even support Hardware Vertex Shading, or some other "minor" stuff.
Settle down mate.

I've decided i'm going for this one. If i do ever need to update the GFX card i can do so.
#10 - Jakg
Quote from jaws99 :So is a hypermemory card not very good?

not really - i would recommend something along the lines of a 6600GT, which, coincidentally (honestly!) i have a spare one of which i will be eBaying shortly, but a 6600GT is probably the best buy, although a 6800GT might be a better option

on eBay a 6600GT would set you back ~£55 (...i should know, i actually had two and just sold one for £60 on eBay), or about £55 from eBuyer (which would be new), although it would be a bit slower
Quote from jaws99 :Settle down mate.

I've decided i'm going for this one. If i do ever need to update the GFX card i can do so.

Yeah yeah, the PC you quoted in your OP seems quite reasonable. You'll definitely be able to play LFS on it, but other newer games (if you play any) might not run that fast.
The system you linked to in your first post will run LFS fine. It'll run most modern games perfectly fine, if you put a proper graphics card in, you can get a 7600GT for around £100 at the min that would do the job fine.
but the one in my previous post is a better pc right?
#14 - Jakg
Quote from jaws99 :but the one in my previous post is a better pc right?

what do you mean? the pc with the "HyperMemory" card will be CRAP for gaming, it needs a graphics card
go on overclockers.co.uk

i built a pc on there specs include

Nvidia 256mb 7600GT
2gb RAM DDR2
Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz (1066FSB)
New Case
500w psu
Gigbyte motherboard
400gb hardrive
fans
Soundblaster card

for 750, all you need to do is rip the dvd/cd drive out of your current one and put it in the new case, its all good
Quote from Jakg :build it yourself - the first pc is a "hypermemory", which means that it doesn't have a graphics card, it leeches power of the rest of the computer

Errmm... no.

HyperMemory to ATi is what TurboCache is to nVidia. It has a real graphics card, but in an attempt to save money (thus making the card cheaper) it only has a small ammount of onboard memory (usually around 64mb-128mb), the rest is then shared from the main memory. You can flash them so they never knew they had the ability to share memory, but that means your card is capped at what ever it has on the PCB (Read: Not a lot).
#18 - Jakg
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :...

really? never knew that! Anyway, if it's the same as a nVidia's "TurboCache" then it still isn't a great card - i've edited my post though
So is the last pc i posted good or not?
#20 - Jakg
it aint bad,no, but it seems to be a bit expensive for what it is
if you have the capablitlties and know what your doing build one, if nt buy one, but look around a lot first, avoid pc world, some are ok but the rest are pretty poor,

if you build one you can upgrade it alot easier and pick your components,

Build pcs you cant

your choice really though mate
Scratch what I said, I thought that PC didn't have a real graphics card

Honestly if you know something about computers, build a PC on your own. These bundles always get you in some way, so that in 3 years you'd have to buy a new bundle.
#23 - SamH
Unfortunately, forum etiquette forbids me from explaining my exact feelings for CCL. It's the only store (I live 30 mins from their depot/storefront) where I've been driven to threaten to climb straight over the counter and beat seven bells of you-know-what out of the sales assistants, and wholeheartedly mean it.

In my personal experience (which unfortunately runs to about £1500 of hardware), they are the MOST gross abusers of trading standards I've ever experienced. Buyer beware!
What's wrong with them?

Pc advice
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG