The online racing simulator
Live for Speed sound potential
(66 posts, started )
The only games that use sampled sounds are the ones that lack substance. I hope LFS never stoops so low as to use prerecorded sounds for the engine and drivetrain.
LOL it's funny the subject switched from LFS's crappy sounds to my "hatred" for LFS.. No I actually like a lot about LFS.. just the sound totally sucks and it's funny to hear people defend it. And I already have a mini moat.
#53 - Vain
If you refer to my comment above with that "defending" I may assure you that I'd be the first person to slap Scawen in the face if I met him for neglecting LFS's sounds.

Vain
Not anyone in particular.. just in general over the years.
Quote from BWX232 :it's funny to hear people defend it.

We're not defending it saying "it's great, don't change it!". We just understand that it's on the to do list and there are currently other things that Scawen is getting done first... 99% of us would love better sounds and the other 1% who say they're happy with them definitely wouldn't be complaining if they were improved.
Just had another little play, and managed to make my 911 sound even better.
Attached images
New Sound.jpg
Attached files
Beefy Porsche.mp3 - 938.4 KB - 235 views
#57 - Vain
Now it sounds like a cheesy pimped Subaru crossed with a diesel for the strange low revs sound.

I'm just giving feedback, even if I may be speaking a bit too frankly. I'm only comparing the sound you offered to my memory and some onboard-footage I have from various generations of 911. Disregard it if you think I'm an idiot with no clue.

Vain
Nah i think your right. It sounds less like a 911 than my first one.

Edit: Not sure how you make it out as a Subaru though
Sounds like GPL to me Haven't played it in ages but that's what it reminds me of...definitely sounds beefy.
Well its definitely LFS.
#61 - Vain
Quote from DaveWS :Not sure how you make it out as a Subaru though

I said "cheesy tuned subaru", e.g. "horrible".
In other words: It still sounds related to a flat engine, but somehow strange...
By the way that doesn't go for low revs. Those are just weird.

Vain
Speaking of GPL, the updated sounds available for GPL are some of the nicest car sounds ever. the 16-cylinders sound AMAZING.
The existing sounds do the job. They're functional, but they aren't very pleasant--or realistic for that matter. The tire noises sound like something out of an old Road Runner cartoon--real squealing tires don't sound anything like that. The engine in the FXO DOES sound a bit like a flat 4, but the LX6's mill doesn't sound a thing like any straight six I've ever heard.

Your Harley sound does sound a lot like a V-twin cruiser, but not a Harley. I've heard Harleys and they're not that smooth. Your first 911 though is almost bang-on.
Quote from Rebeldevil :Your Harley sound does sound a lot like a V-twin cruiser, but not a Harley. I've heard Harleys and they're not that smooth. Your first 911 though is almost bang-on.

Already mentioned, by me in fact.
Quote from Forbin :Unfortunately you can't change the firing interval so it's not quite like a true Harley (single crank pin like a WWII radial engine). It's more like your standard Japanese cruiser with a much more even firing interval for less vibration. That said, I agree, it really does sound quite good, like a metric cruiser with straight pipes.

Quote from Rebeldevil :The tire noises sound like something out of an old Road Runner cartoon--real squealing tires don't sound anything like that.

I wonder where they came from then

Live for Speed sound potential
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG