The online racing simulator
Test Drive: Saturn Aura XR (aka Opel/Vauxhall Vectra)
Wow.

This could be the best FWD midsize sedan GM has ever built.

For the most part we don't get the good stuff here in the US. Now and again we get a gem from overseas (the departing Pontiac GTO a gift from Holden would be one example) but for the most part we don't get the stuff you guys in Europe get. That's starting to change.

Saturn in the US is basically turning into Opel USA, and we'll probably wind up with every Opel model in the US (Captiva = Vue. Astra. Maybe even Corsa) and it starts with the Aura. What a way to kick things off.

The car I drove had the uplevel engine--a 3.6L DOHC V6 making 252 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with manual mode (no true stickshift is offered). Off-the-line performance is spirited to say the least, and the car surges forward with considerable gusto. The car's wide powerband and prodigious amount of torque gives it a lot of low and mid range punch for passing or squirting out of corners. The brakes were equally good, providing confident stopping power from four-wheel ABS discs. The suspension is up to the task as well. It's not bone-jarring firm, but it's firm enough to keep the car well-planted at speed. Likewise it's still comfortable enough to be a good daily driver, soaking up the typical road irregularities and potholes to be found on your average American surface street while letting only the largest craters through to the cabin.

Speaking of the cabin, it's a really nice place to be. The car I drove had the Moroccan Brown leather and wood trim, which features only a little brightwork on the console and some trim rings on the dash. The wood paneling is unfortunately not real wood, one of the few sticking points I have with the car. The brushed metal trim looks much better, but it's not available with the brown leather. Interior room is excellent for a midsizer, allowing plenty of front head and legroom for a six-footer like me. Once the front seat was adjusted for my comfort I climbed in back to see there was still a couple inches between the back of the seat and my kneecaps. Rear seat passengers had their own audio controls as well, something good to keep the kids quiet on long trips--however those same audio controls eat into legroom for the middle rear-seat passenger.

Cargo space is ample in the Aura, however the trunk opening itself is a little too narrow and a little too high up. I'd like it to have been a bit wider to facilitate loading of bigger items.

That said, there are a few points lacking on the Aura. The car lacks a four-cylinder option (available on both the Accord and Camry) as well as a manual transmission and a hybrid drivetrain. All of these things however are on the way, so it's only a matter of time.

Will this be the car to save GM of North America? No--it'll take more than one car to save GM. Does it beat the Accord and Camry at their own game? ...I'm going to say yes. Yes it does.
#2 - bbman
Erm... LOL. The only comments you hear in Europe about the Corsa aren't positive... Could be a different point of view though...
#3 - herki
The following isn't meant offensive:
Maybe you think the Vectra/Aura is a good car, because Americans mostly drive American cars, and almost all of them are for European (and most likely Japanese, too) standarts total crap. So a car, like the Vectra/Aura, which is quite bad for us might be great for you. You have to admit, the Vectra is one of Opels best cars. The Corsa however isn't. Trust me, you don't want a Corsa.
#4 - ajp71
I think the Vectra is definatley one of Opel/Vauxhalls most under rated cars. You'll find the build quality is substancially better because we tend to prefer well built cars to the US market that tend to like the biggest engine for their money regardless of whether the interior is cheap plastic crap (again no offense )
You can understand my surprise then to find the Aura both gives you the most power for the money AND has a well-put-together interior.

So yeah. I think it's a great car.

Getting the Astra over here will also be a benefit to GM (as Saturn's current Delta-based compact, the Ion, is a complete unmitigated pile of CRAP!)

Perhaps my standards are different from those of you in Europe.
Well.

Tbh..

All Opels (Vauxhalls) suck.
Quote from zeugnimod :Well.

Tbh..

All Opels (Vauxhalls) suck.

Not really. I will agree if you say "All Opel build after 1980 suck.

Diplomat, Admiral, Commodore and other old Opels are pure Rüsselsheim Iron build to run for decades.

Topic: Vectra totally suck. Silly V6 engines instaed of Straight & is just a joke. Friend of mine killed several Omega MV6 engines, they can´t stand gear changes at high RPM. That was NO problem with the old 2.5-4.0 Straight Six engines. Vectra GTS the fastest Opel ever build? PFFFF! People forget about the Omega 3000-24V, Irmscher Senator 4.0-24V and of course the amazing Lotus Omega.
Ehm..yeah, ok, Im born in 1986.
#9 - Smax
You've all forgotten the Holden Monaro badged as a Vauxhall in the U.K, that's got plenty of bang for your buck.

Generally speaking I'd agree that GM Vauxhall/Opel's offerings are pretty poor when compared to the likes of Toyota, Volkswagen or even perhaps Renault. Some of the performance models suffer from such bad torque steer that they're plain dangerous.
Audi ftw!

And VW.
VW? illepall

But I like the Golf. It´s sooo easy to overtake.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Nothing at all. Owned a Golf II GTD once, was a solid peace of an ugly car. Just 4.5-5.5 liter Diesel/100km. But imho VW cars (beside Transporter 1 - specially the Samba -, Ovali-Bugs and T3 1600 Fastback) don´t have any character or something like this. Cars for the masses with no spirit.
Quote from Crazy Harry :VW? illepall

But I like the Golf. It´s sooo easy to overtake.

of course, VW owns Audi. And Seat. And Skoda. And Lambo. And Bugatti...

tbh, I hate the golf, it's just a ... car ... no emotion coming from it, not passion whatsoever... I hate it
Quote from herki :tbh, I hate the golf, it's just a ... car ... no emotion coming from it, not passion whatsoever... I hate it

I hate it for being the chav car number 1 around here... Every idiot has to has a riced up golf... illepall
Especially the 50hp "tuned" ones. Double the loudness, still no power. On a track you could probably rival it with the UF1000.

Well, I'll stay with my Audi 100. I mean, that thing is older than some forum members here ('86), and it still runs like a charm. 5 cylinder engine is cool, too
Quote from AndroidXP : 5 cylinder engine is cool, too

Totally agree. My buddy Bernd ownes a (1985?) Audi 90 Quattro. Looks like a 200 just smaller. Very cool car, 2.2 liter engine 136hp and runs great. Don´t have to say something about the cornering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pRwz8a7AN0 <-- 4.2? OWNED! Avant 270 km/h+
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Audi cars are lovely to work on, I briefly owned a 1986 Audi 90 (2L 5cyl), was a pleasure to work on. Pretty nippy as well, possibly it used the same engine model as yours AndroidXP.

That video..wow, pure ownage.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG