The online racing simulator
GP2 League , the great FO8
(36 posts, started )
#1 - Calum
Whats the thoughts on this ?

A league for folk looking for something extra from the usual FOX Leagues , but also not wanting to race the BF1 / do any F1 type stuff just yet.

I have just been getting back to the FO8 and I forgot what an amazing car it is to drive ( i dunno what zoom setting I have , but I swear it feels to me a far more realistic veiw than I have seen in other SingleSeaters in LFS ) , coupled with a few of the great LFS tracks from S1 and S2 , and I think you have a fun League with potential for competition on all levels ; backmarkers , mid-pack and a few up front.

I would love the idea of it being quite team based , and a limited number competing , such as 9 daring LFS teams , 18 drivers , and the FO8 ... a almost forgotten car , lost between the FOX and BF1.

Any thoughts at all please.

Calum
I love the FO8 so I'd be up for it, just keep it away from South City
#3 - axus
I'm in.
I would race in this series.
Count me in for that, im certainly interested.
#6 - kalle
I have been thinking something like this for some time now. I just haven't had the time to do it

FO8 :lovies:
Am an LX6 fan, but for a race car in LFS, FO8 is my top pick, it is a fascinating car. Probably the best one in LFS. Even if I don't compete, I'd really like to see replays and a good coverage of this. Because many FO8 races are interesting to watch. PLUS, the sound when they come at you head on and then pass you, the exhaust is just sexy Good luck :up:
#8 - Calum
:)
Good to see all positive relpies , thats neat.

Thanks folks , please feel free to comment and I will continue to think up some more rules and such.

Just think tho

Calum
Would be cool if you organized the teams in such a way that is represented GP2 a bit...

Either have someone make you a GP2 skinpack and everyone signs up for designated teams, OR, have people use their own team names and skins, but limit the entries to 2 per team. Would be cool.
thanks for the opinion Tweaker ...

Quote :but limit the entries to 2 per team.

Definately

GP2 Teams are professional , but are ( unfortunately ) not very well known in the public eye , and although I am sure there will be a few more who follow it closely on these forums ... "dams" , "po fms international" , "bcn competicion" and "dpr" will mean nothing to a good majority of the LFS community I beleive.

I think 8 LFS teams , being a mix of good , known teams , and lessor , unknown or new-start teams would make some form of team promising , I say 8 , because if this sort of league ever got started up , I would be tempted to enter a 9th team under the name of Arden International ( RedBull associates ) or if not that name , then perhaps RedBull Juniors hehe

But yes , a closely matched representation of the real GP2 Championship , using the FO8 , 9 teams , 18 drivers , approx. 11 challenging and realistic circuits , lasting just under half a year ( 1 race every 2 weeks ) , but I think its best to let the teams decide the time frame , if it ever got to that stage of choosing a time frame

Calum
Just so you know, myself and Misan are probably going to be running a Formula V8 league in the relatively near future which we haven't announced yet. We currently run the Vixen Challenge and after running 3 seasons of that have the experience and infrastructure to run another league with relatively little extra work.

I don't think that limiting the number of drivers from a certain team to enter is a good idea at all, when smallish leagues get to about half way, you are really just trying to get all the numbers you can. It also seems quite unfair on the drivers from a team that don't get picked but want to race. Infact i'd say it's a terrible idea and that i'd sooner include rolling starts or reverse grids .

Josh
I would be up for it
Quote from Calum :thanks for the opinion Tweaker ...

Definately

GP2 Teams are professional , but are ( unfortunately ) not very well known in the public eye , and although I am sure there will be a few more who follow it closely on these forums ... "dams" , "po fms international" , "bcn competicion" and "dpr" will mean nothing to a good majority of the LFS community I beleive.

I think 8 LFS teams , being a mix of good , known teams , and lessor , unknown or new-start teams would make some form of team promising , I say 8 , because if this sort of league ever got started up , I would be tempted to enter a 9th team under the name of Arden International ( RedBull associates ) or if not that name , then perhaps RedBull Juniors hehe

But yes , a closely matched representation of the real GP2 Championship , using the FO8 , 9 teams , 18 drivers , approx. 11 challenging and realistic circuits , lasting just under half a year ( 1 race every 2 weeks ) , but I think its best to let the teams decide the time frame , if it ever got to that stage of choosing a time frame

Calum

I think that if you limited the league to 18 drivers, and had it lasting half a year, then after about 6 or 7 rounds you would have about 10 drivers turning up, probably even less towards the end.

You really can't run leagues in LFS in the same way that championships are run in real life. People either lose the motivation or the time to compete quite soon. Imo the only way it's possible to run a league in the ways that you are suggesting are if it is run with subscription fees and prizes or something, but i don't think that would be very popular to start with.

Josh
Just to provide some evidence for this, in the Vixen Challenge there are 52 drivers entered to the league. 41 of them have completed the necessary hotlaps to be able to sign up for races; 29 entered the first race; 26 entered the second race; 26 again for the third race; 16 for the fourth race; 19 for the fifth race; 17 for the sixth and final race. In total 36 drivers have competed in some way during the season. So just 10 weeks after the league started we have only 1/3 of the drivers entering the final race.

If the league was limited to 18 drivers and was 6 months long i think there would be some extremely dull races from about round 4 or 5 onwards.
Thanks for your points Josh ,

Quote :People either lose the motivation or the time to compete quite soon.

True.

I will think about possible ways to keep it going , and like I said , the time scale would be decided by the drivers , so if half a year is too long for them , I would do a poll to choose the best day , time and period for the races.

Please keep me up to date on your FO8 league though if it comes around.

Thanks

Calum
To be honest I think IF it ever happened , and a GP2 Championship for LFS was started , I believe the drivers who enter may find it different and better than other leagues , and the close racing would perhaps entice / encourage them to come back and race again , and make more of an effort to turn up and want to fight for points.

I have been looking up some challenging circuits and been trying a few laps round each , the FO8 truly is an unbelievably great car , the racing seems so close , especially if you get the veiw correct.

I can dream lol.

Calum
Quote from Calum :To be honest I think IF it ever happened , and a GP2 Championship for LFS was started , I believe the drivers who enter may find it different and better than other leagues , and the close racing would perhaps entice / encourage them to come back and race again , and make more of an effort to turn up and want to fight for points.

I have been looking up some challenging circuits and been trying a few laps round each , the FO8 truly is an unbelievably great car , the racing seems so close , especially if you get the veiw correct.

I can dream lol.

Calum

Dream on indeed!

We race the FO8 in the OWRL, but the only way to get there is by driving in our FOX-division first, or by winning the qualification races before some of the season. So the drivers that make it to the FO8 will have experience and must have hang around for at least 4 races. Still, we see the points that Josh puts up happening in our FO8-Division.
Well in GP2 the teams field the drivers , and the teams are there to compete and win , so I am confident they wont put out any really bad racers.

So drivers may have single seat experience and be looking for a good advanced SS league , like FO8 , but having to race through the FOX could be off-putting for some.

Obviously it would be checked over the first practice and Qualy sessions that all drivers at least know the car a little bit , and have a general " race mind ".

Calum

E: This championship would only be open to Teams anyway , so that would perhaps help keep some drivers , its not like there millions of them , just 18 or so people who meet up for half a day every week or whatever time scale it is , I wouldnt have thought that too hard.
#19 - Nobo
I really think a FO8 league should be started! Maybe under the roof of SimFIA if we get the license. They could be support races for the SimFIA:F1 league. But organized by a different admin team.
And it shouldnt be a Spdo FO8 league against an other Fo8 league... it think we sould work to get something up together instead of everyone doing his own stuff. To set up a good league for close racing with many drivers! Just to think about! Sometimes little working together is not bad!
Quote from Nobo :I really think a FO8 league should be started! Maybe under the roof of SimFIA if we get the license. They could be support races for the SimFIA:F1 league. But organized by a different admin team.
And it shouldnt be a Spdo FO8 league against an other Fo8 league... it think we sould work to get something up together instead of everyone doing his own stuff. To set up a good league for close racing with many drivers! Just to think about! Sometimes little working together is not bad!

SimFIA or any other organizers don't need to run yet another league. Let some people have their own leagues and own systems, it's better that way imo....
#21 - Nobo
Its just "new people" setting up and hosting a league(not the same guys!! just everything under one roof, there were DTM drivers entering F1 and F1 drivers entering DTM last season, that was a very good thing about DTM and F1 running under same website!! But the hosts of the events are totally different!!)! get server support and a place to share stats and results and a place to meet!

And a GP2 league would fit into the concept of SimFIA
Quote :Maybe under the roof of SimFIA if we get the license. They could be support races for the SimFIA:F1 league. But organized by a different admin team.

I agree and would like that alot.

Quote :And it shouldnt be a Spdo FO8 league against an other Fo8 league... it think we sould work to get something up together instead of everyone doing his own stuff. To set up a good league for close racing with many drivers! Just to think about! Sometimes little working together is not bad!

I would really like to explore the possibility of the aforementioned GP2 League , I have sought out some really great racing circuits for the GP2 car ( FO8 ) and I think even with 16 or so drivers of varying skill levels it would still be a big challenge that would call for not just racing and speed , but also professionalism and sense ( some parts of certain tracks really requires you to almost stop and crawl round tight corners , just to ensure you dont tag a car point-blank in front of you , even if it means losing a place ( which I feel is close racing at its best , when positions are changing at slow parts of the track as well as the straights )).

Obviously Josh and Krutch seem to have other angles at which to encourage drivers to race in an FO8 League , but I am going to continuing building my thoughts on a GP2 type Championship.

Calum
I think the idea of teams signing up and nominating drivers is a good idea, then if one driver drops out, there should be another one in the team who can take their place (start with 0 points though)
I'm in!
Im in! I've been driving nothing but the fo8 lately and think it would be great to have a seriously league devoted to this car!

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG