The online racing simulator
Are You A Sim-Racing Dad?
(99 posts, started )
#51 - Gunn
I think we have enough numbers for a reasonable survey. I will be compiling my list of Sim Dads soon. Then I will send each Sim Dad the survey to fill out. Once I have collected the results I will attempt to document the profile of our average Sim Dad and perhaps take a look at the extremes and funny stories from these guys.

So if you are a Sim Dad but haven't yet posted here, please do. The more data I retrieve the more interesting and relevant the report will be. I think you will find the survey quite comprehensive but not too long-winded.

Thanks for cooperating and being patient.
Not a Sim-Dad but curious about your project, Gunn. Will you be publishing the report more widely than just here? Are you a professional psychologist or sociologist? I mean to say, is this real work for you, or are you just doing it out of interest?

Cheers, and best of luck with it,
--Jason.
#53 - Gunn
Quote from jtr99 :Not a Sim-Dad but curious about your project, Gunn. Will you be publishing the report more widely than just here? Are you a professional psychologist or sociologist? I mean to say, is this real work for you, or are you just doing it out of interest?

Cheers, and best of luck with it,
--Jason.

I'm just doing it because I think our community might find it interesting, perhaps a little amusing, and it might broaden our understanding of the types of people who we interact with in online sim racing.
Sim Dads are also in my own peer group, so I have a personal interest and general curiosity about these people too.

I have a few other concepts I'm cooking up as well, if this one succeeds I'll move on to the next.
Another Sim-Dad here.. daughter of 10 months sits on my lap and presses all the pretty coloured buttons on the wheel, usually Look Left / Right whilst i'm trying to go round corners...
sim dad of two here, once caught my monsters driving lfs with one under the desk working the pedals with her hands while her youger brother sat in the chair steering, shouting instructions at here when to accelerate and brake. They were 6 and 4 respectively then. Wish I'd taken a photo
My girl prefers skinning to racing....
Quote from al heeley :sim dad of two here, once caught my monsters driving lfs with one under the desk working the pedals with her hands while her youger brother sat in the chair steering, shouting instructions at here when to accelerate and brake. They were 6 and 4 respectively then. Wish I'd taken a photo
My girl prefers skinning to racing....

LOL I remember you saying something about that... I think on the RSC forums.

Uh any ways I have two kids, both teenagers (started a little young )
My son races on occasion... He's 15 and at that age who would wanna be stuck in front of a box all the time?

My daughter doesn't really play at all, but is about 85% responsible for knocking my pedals outta calibration.
Sim Dad of 5 here. Its good that all of my kids love to jump on the pc and have a race but it does get anoying when I can't get much time on my own computer. I think that playing sim games on my pc has made my kids much better drivers and they can easily beat all of their friends (and some of mine aswell) when playing console racers.
Father of two kids, the oldest is 9 and isnt really interested in driving that much, he prefers his fifa 06 on playstation... and my daughter competes with me on pc time for wanting to draw barbies on som site.... Guess they have other interests then me hehe...

Göran
Yep, I'm a simracing Dad, My 11 year daughter, although not interested in racing, occasionally tries it too. She could easily identify a McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, etc since she was maybe 5 or 6. My wife can barely tell F1 from Nascar (really - quite funny actually).
Quote from deggis :My dad hates computers. Only time I remember he played something was some F1 game on IBM 386. Weird that he have never even been interested to even watch how realistic sims that I play are, altough he watches a motorsport from tv a lot. I think lot of older people don't understand that sims are in a certain way more than just computer games.

It's much more than a game. I wish more people would try it to learn how to control a car at the limit. Most of my friends just give my a funny look when I start preaching. "Isn't that for kids" is the usual response. Well, maybe something like NEED for Speed is.
I'm a dad!!! I am 26 years old simracer with a 2 years old son, and i'm from Portugal! By the way... my racer nick is UltraSardine
Dad over here also. My son just turned 2 and #2 is due in december.
Sim racing Dad of 1. I have a daughter of 5 who has also tried LFS sitting on my knee steering whilst I brake (mainly!) and accelerate. She wasn't half bad actually steering the MRT around South City!!
Quote from th84 :sim dad here too my 2 yr old son(almost 3) likes to sit on my lap and honk the horn while i race!! it got to the point that i had to buy him his own wheel, formula force(the yellow one) and i attached it to the coffee table next to the computer desk!!! he has a blast!!!! this is the third momo ive gone through.. thanks, in part, to the sim baby!! it seems the pedals dont work to well after juicy juice has been spilled in them

OK so now I know what to expect! Gonna get some formula force (you said it's pretty juice-friendly, right?)!
2 years LFS racer here in October. Count me in Gunn.
I've just seen this post - I'm a father of a boy (aged 6) and a girl (aged 5).

My little lad struggles to reach the pedals but loves playing (well crashing actually, especially when the car goes into orbit!!). I've given him my old MS SW FF wheel and blocked online play using the firewall until he's older.

The little girl is more interested in dolls!
yep...some daddy over here, too...

1 daughter, 5y.o. now,(she can drive round the small fe-track without hittin the wall (in 2nd gear))
son on his way (guess he will pop () out within the next week...)

so, the 18-years-counter is set back next week 4 me *joking*

here smthg. 4 those, whose kids are 2 young 2 play LFS : http://wiedi.elbone.net/misc/bilder/babymops.jpg
My girlfriend's dad plays games ALOT
Not sure what racing games but he has a logitech wheel and i think he has tried LFS
When i see him racing, i go up to him to tell him what to do he gets abit annoyed at times when i have ago on the other PC and beat him hehe
not a dad, but a brother, me little brother(age 7) can do a 33.xx on KY Oval(he isn't good with brakes).
Simracer dad here.
Two daughters, 3 yrs & 3 months.
I'm apart from tracks now due to house moving but will be back in a month or two.
#70 - CSU1
Yeah, I was caught by the curlys too I'm 23 and am father of two girly girls of 1 and 3...omg do they wreak my head while I'm tryin to race lol it's all good though
Puts hand up and admits to being a Dad.

Spent a few hours on line LFS last weekend, while 8yo was in the next room playing Forza Motorsport on the x-box...

He goes ok too, the cheeky kid..

A few years back when playing 2 player games i used to slow up from time to time, not anymore...
:bump:

Any news on the survey yet Gunn? never did get my copy!

Just as an afterthought, when we had the LFS Kart meet recently, I even persuaded EmmyLou to come along too..she was gutted that I wouldn't let her have a go in the karts!

quick photo of some of the [dSRC] team that turned up on the day...http://www.tenball.co.uk/mkpor ... astup&cat=0&pos=7
I am a dad! apparently

Some women have cruelly taken my children.

What should I do?
#74 - CSU1
Quote from anttt69 :I am a dad! apparently

Some women have cruelly taken my children.

What should I do?

A friend of mine in the same situation.A couple of years went by and she wouldn't let him see his kid.As far as advice goes the only thing I can think of atm is if you do plan on seeing them she can't stop you if you have proof of support to them ie. bank statements etc. etc.
hope this helps.

Are You A Sim-Racing Dad?
(99 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG