The online racing simulator
Widescreen resolutions
(22 posts, started )
Widescreen resolutions
I got a new widescreen TFT (21" samsung) with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

In LFS i can only choose between 1680x1050 and some other 4:3 resolutions.
Is there a way to choose something lower in 16:10 like 1440x900?

I didn't find it. I can't believe that it's not possible to use other 16:10 resolutions in LFS. If so, i guess i'll have to post this in the suggestions forum.
#2 - CSU1
Sorry can't help, but have to say that avatar is gas
I am not absolutely sure about this because I don't have a widescreen monitor (yet), but LFS reads the resolution from Windows. So the solution is to add custom resolutions to Windows and then they will be available in LFS.
yup
I've got a 19" widescreen and use 1440 x 900 on LFS. It's groovy!

I think there was a box to press somewhere that said 'show widescreen modes'
i've looked for such an option but didn't find any.

@geeman: how do you add custom resolutions in windows?
There is no "show widescreen modes", but there is "show non-square modes" and that is what you may be looking for....
#7 - Wmc90
Quote from inCogNito :i've looked for such an option but didn't find any.

@geeman: how do you add custom resolutions in windows?

Its usually in either the NVIDIA CP or ATI CCC... depends on your card.

Just browse through either, and you should eventually find something like "Add Custom Resolution" or "Manage Custom Timings" (although that last one can be a bit tricky if the CP doesnt help you along)
In the NVIDIA Control Panel (classic mode) it's in the Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates tab. Note that the newest ForceWare has been reported to have problems on adding custom resolutions.

I don't know where it is in the ATI drivers, but I am sure it is not too difficult to find.
Quote from MadCatX :There is no "show widescreen modes", but there is "show non-square modes" and that is what you may be looking for....

I've already read that, but i didn't find this option. Where should it be? And it already shows the non square mode, but just one, no smaller ones.

i got an nvidia card, i will try to add custom resolutions when i'm at home.
Its not recommented to use interpolated resolution though, it will look very unsharp even if the interpolation is as very good.
So if you want to run LFS at that res you need to either try to find out if its somehow possible to use pixel doubling in the driver (like in FEAR), or get a faster computer that can run this high resolution
Quote from ORION :Its not recommented to use interpolated resolution though, it will look very unsharp even if the interpolation is as very good.
So if you want to run LFS at that res you need to either try to find out if its somehow possible to use pixel doubling in the driver (like in FEAR), or get a faster computer that can run this high resolution

but that's my problem if i want to interpolate or not. And it doesn't look so bad with a decent monitor, so it would be nice to have the freedom of choice....
(and i bet 1440x960 doesn't look half as bad as 1024x768 does, which i'm able to choose)

And I'm not upgrading my Athlon64 3800+ with an Geforce7800GT for LFS...
Quote from inCogNito :I got a new widescreen TFT (21" samsung) with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

Sorry if seems like I'm in the worong place, but i have searched.
I'm looking at Purchasing a LCD 22" 1680x1050 CMV221D

My main concern was the aspect ratios available in LFS didnt include either this resolution or down-scalable equivalent. But it seems (mentioned above) it relys on windows setings so thats cool.

Just a concern. I can run my current old 17" crt at 1360x1024, but i run LFS at lower resolution 1024x768 to get better FPS. I prob. wont be able to run LFS at the new LCDs native 1680x1050 (will give about 15fps) so I'll run it at a lower res. Will this work ok? I quite happy running at something like 1024x768 on a larger screen. (But this is Wide screen LCD 16:10 ratio)

My Specs: (i can run LFS at *35fps*[edit:26fps] with a full grid @ about 1024x768x32)
CPU AMD 1700XP CPU, 256 MB ram, 80GB drive
GPU Radeon 9200 (gpu ram, i'm not sure [edit: 128MB SE DVI])

Will I be able to knock down the resolution to get good fps, and let the lcd scale it up and still use a DVI cable? Or do i have to run lfs at 1680x1050 to make it work on my soon to be new LCD?

Edit:
Well i looked a little harder and found this page:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=1732
Something about changing to low resolution at the same 16:10 ratio looks like it might work. I'll let you know if my new LCD 16:10 stretches it ok... PLEASE GOD!!!
LFS should let you pick any resolution that windows lets you pick for the desktop. The even better news is that you can add custom resolutions to that list (although it's not quite as easy as shelling peas), thus you should be able to set LFS to any resolution you can dream of (that your monitor supports).
I have a Bilinea 20", 1680x1050 16/10
And in LFS there is a choice of 1280x800 wich is 16/10 too.
Using version U20.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I read my new LCD manual - Specifically states : Radeaon 9200 does not support @ 1680x1050 (16:10) +LOL+

So LFS wont show that resolution for me until I get a new GRFX card.
So I tried tweaking around to get the best aspect ratio result.
Seems to work best with available 1280x768x16(15:9), (18fps full grid, increases to 27-40fps away from traffic) Still that aint too bad since I've got an old GRFX card and only 256MB Main RAM. (So I'll be getting both upgraded soon) LFS is amazingly optimised. I've had no other games running at that sort of effeciency.

But still looks wonderfully emersive at 22" - monitor only stretches up a centimeter at that 1280x768 (15:9) rez. so i can live with that for a while. And i might be able to play around with stretching with driver software - and monitor adjusting. Still yet to try the DVI cable.

I've tried some other resolutions in LFS but all have wrong aspect ratio. I tried modifying cfg.txt in LFS folder. I tried all the following to force 1680x1050:
Screen Info 1 0 1680 1050 (16:10)
Screen Info 1 0 1024 640 (16:10)
Screen Info 1 0 1024 614 (15:9)
However because my video card wont support these LFS reverts it back to:
Screen Info 1 100 1024 768 (my current Windows rez - except the 100Hz)

So, I'll LIVE FOR 22" for the moment ===>
Attached images
desk01.jpg
#17 - Davo
Jason I've got the same monitor but using a 7600GT and run 1680x1050 native with 65 fps avg on LFS with everything turned up and 8xAA and 16xAF on. I'm surprised to find the 9200 doesn't support that resolution because even my old TNT2 can run it hehe. Perhaps it won't do that res in DVI onyl analog?

Ayway, try a resolution like 1280x800, or 960x600, or maybe even as low as 800x500 which are all 16:10 resolutions and will work with LFS and the aspect ratio will look good and not stretched.
1440x900 on a ATI 9600 series card
same sort of problem for me, I hope my comment could help other people with an ATI card.

=========================================
I wanted to by a 19" widescreen monitor, which runs on a max res of 1440x900. I wanted to test if that works on my graphics card, a ATI Radeon 9600TX (OEM).

First I didn't even get windows to that resolution.
-> I downloaded the unofficial Omega ATI drivers (with CCC, tray tools), then I could set Windows to 1440x900 resolution.

Then I tried in LFS, but there I could not get anymore then 1280x1024 (the same in LFS Viewer)
-> I changed in cfg.txt -> (viewer_cfg.txt for LFS Viewer)
Screen Info 0 60 1440 900
and
INFO_F12 1 0 1440 900

Now I can select 1440x900 in LFS and LFS viewer (the FPS almost the same as 1280x1024)

So that means I can order my 19" widescreen!
You had to go through all that trouble??? I have a sapphire radeon 9600xt and a 20" widescreen monitor at 1680x1050 resolution, and once I installed the monitor's driver, everything worked smoothly, and all the resolutions appeared in LFS. Check it out.
Hm, for showing into LFS the "non squared modes" u have to go in options---> display if I remember well.

it's one of the first three options under that menù.

When u change it, magically the list of possible resolution changes, adding the non squared like 1440x900 or highers.

The one thing I can't understand is that even if i've choose the max res I can with my monitor (1440x900 @ 32bit it's an HP 19'' wide), i noticed that ingame ther're the 2 black orizontal bars over and under the visual, as when we normally see a film in 16:9 in a non 16:9 screen.

Do u have the same problem or noticed the same "error" ? It's strange, cause in theory, if I've a 16:9 screen and i choose a 16:9 resolution, the visual should cover all the screen, or not?
19",21",22" wide are 16:10 and not 16:9.Maybe thats the reason you have black bars in the top and down.Nothing more comes into my mind right now.
#22 - Davo
Turn off wide screen effect.

Widescreen resolutions
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG