The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from SpaceMarineITA :Last thing about RF:

after 1.150 patch, rf evolved a lot from hallen point of view in the last page.

FF is now better, and cars are more comunicative.
In a certain sense it seems less permissive on errors, infact when i play rf and then return to lfs i feel to drive a bit more clean, quite less aggressive (not faster eh).

However if u are a good driver on rf or lfs you are good on the other too.
Only thing that you need a lot more on rf then lfs is a good setup making experience

yeah i just tried it and the game feels alot better than i remember. and the car movement seems pretty good. not those strange movements like in gtr2.
Quote from SpaceMarineITA :Last thing about RF:

after 1.150 patch, rf evolved a lot from hallen point of view in the last page.

FF is now better, and cars are more comunicative.
In a certain sense it seems less permissive on errors, infact when i play rf and then return to lfs i feel to drive a bit more clean, quite less aggressive (not faster eh).

However if u are a good driver on rf or lfs you are good on the other too.
Only thing that you need a lot more on rf then lfs is a good setup making experience

Nope, I am using the 1.150 version and have also tried the BMW Sauber.

There are things about the game that I know I don't like because there is no description of what things mean and what type of car each is, etc. This is a learning problem on my part, but rF should make it more intuitive and easier to figure out. I am no computer dummy, but I have as of yet figured out what "digital rate" means for a controller setup. Most of the cars are undriveable if you use 720° or even worse at 900° with a DFP. I am still twiddling with the FF and controller settings trying to find something I like.

It does not change the fact that you still can't feel what the car is doing very well and the car's reactions seem somewhat "canned". Please don't get me wrong, it is still much better than a lot of games out there, it just isn't to my tastes as far as the physics and interface goes.
i downloaded it today v1.150 and tired the bmw f1 first of all i notice how dark the tyre colour is and that relly put me off and i like the way they got the tyre sponsor to spin like that better then lfs i think, why is there no driver in the bmw not all impressed by that, first i tired the standard setting with all the default controller aids on and the car felt like monkey on the piss slopy has hell no fell for the car and i could not get the ffb to work even it said it was on full seting and was turn on, after all the that and getting used to the track and car so i turned off all the driver aids but left the tc on medium and the car felt alot better but only like 2/10 for me and when the car started to get loose i tired to correct it and nothing and it spins so easy and there is no way i could tell if the tc was cutting no signs or nothing, so a bad impression on me.
I tried the Sauber around the Nordschleife earlier (the tourist track version), and it was one of the most boring 5 of 6 minutes of my life.

Then I turned on Traction Control, and I nearly fell asleep. At least the FFB is better in the new patch, but the whole sim still lacks 99% of the feel of LFS.
lol, but you've got to love the carbon fibre weave inside the airbox.

And I'd love to see LFS's tyre deflection on landing
Quote from ajp71 :http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ ... 3%2Ejpg&credit=Hawker :doh:

I somewhat can't see that happening IRL.

Mod physics can be wrong, they does not have access to real datas.

I have had the luck of trying betas of 2 mods that will exit soon, and these will be amazing imho, however de gustibus non est disputandum, so don't play it if you don't like
the only thing that is bothering me with rfactor is FF
its very weird, force goes the same way youre turning illepall
Are you using a Momo? If so, try setting the FF to "Inverted" or something of the sort.
Yeah, on the strength slider set it to -100 (or any negative value you like). It makes is slightly better.
Quote from tristancliffe :Then I turned on Traction Control, and I nearly fell asleep. At least the FFB is better in the new patch, but the whole sim still lacks 99% of the feel of LFS.

I'm wondering does it even a real TC. In the difficulty (huh?) options there is that option called "traction control" but I think it is just more like a "throttle help" because you can only adjust it between off-low-high. And it's not adjustable from the car setup at all. Of course the most suspicious part is that this "traction control" help is in GTR2 too (and those cars shouldn't have TC afaik), it's in GTL (those cars definately doesn't have TC - so it just a difficulty setting related driving help in GTL) and probably in GTR1 too but I'm not sure. To be fair of course LFS has lots of features missing too but real adjustable TC is pretty major part of F1 cars.

I very much hope so. ^^
i haven't to think it. it's simply to me. lfs it's better, the best. and it isn't finished... lol so if isn't finished and it's the most realistic, if devs finish it... OMG i think isn't necesary say more .
This thread is still going? Ok, some comments and updates:

Arcade = USA, Sim = Europe. In the Need For Speed series, there are (were, NFS4, NFS5, and now NFS7 and NFS8 servers are shut down) significantly more European players online than USA players. I've read that the NFS series outsells all other PC based racing games. Then again, when they bundle 4 games in a collection does it count as selling 4 games?, World of Need for Speed is 4 games, Need For Speed Collection is 5 games (only at online stores now), both selling for $20 USA. I don't know about console sales in Europe, but I assume most are sold in USA.

LFS - tire physics very much improoved in S2 alpha versions T and later. The addition of a F1 car was really nice. The LFS crowd seems to be a selective group, as I get the impression that a lot of LFS players don't play other sims as much. The non-LFS players seem to play more of a variety of racing games.

Real tracks - Nordschleife and Spa are the top two on my list. Advantage for ISI / Papy sims here.

rFactor - rFactor was sort of a cheat, making a game that relied on mods being made for it. At least it now in include some real tracks and cars, including the BMW F1. The McLaren F1 mod is good, and some sim team versus team racing used this mod for a series of competitions.

Simbin - a lot of the simmers are always waiting for the next best thing, GTR mods. rFactor mods, GTLegends mods, and now GTR2 demo mods (there are track (including Nordschliefe) and car mods for the GTR2 demo already). Simbin includes some real race car drivers on it's staff, that's got to help a bit.

All ISI games - I wish they'd fix the replays so you can hear tire sounds. You make a great run, but when viewing, without any tire sounds, it could just be a car with real sticky tires just cruising around the track, you don't get any sense of how hard a player was pushing when viewing a replay.

Papyrus - Grand Prix Legends, and Nascar Racing 2003, a lot of mods and tracks. Several real NASCAR drivers play NR2003, and those drivers state that the physics are pretty good (especially the trucks). Really good replay system, along with movie making, lap analysis and lap compare utilities.

ISI night mode - a GPU hog, both rFactor and GTR2 demo slow quite a bit when night or night/rain are enabled. On high end systems, With the GTR2 demo, FPS is barely over 15 at the start of a race at the back of a grid of 19 cars.

Personally I like all of these games, and non sim games like the NFS Series (but I didn't like HP2 much), Toca RD2 and RD3, World Racing 1 and 2, and even Ford Racing 2.

I have made videos from many racing games, you can get links to view or download them here:

racing game videos htm
Quote from JeffR :All ISI games - I wish they'd fix the replays so you can hear tire sounds.

First they should fix the whole tyre sound. Sounds like the tyre screeching uses only one sound sample so it is just impossible to hear what the tyre is doing. And the sound sample sounds like a elephant or something (even that LFS sounds generally crap the tyre sound is very good), and above of all, that same sound has been there in every ISI engine based games since GTR1.
Quote from JeffR :The LFS crowd seems to be a selective group, as I get the impression that a lot of LFS players don't play other sims as much. The non-LFS players seem to play more of a variety of racing games.

That might be true. LFS is almost only car sim that I play today. Of course there are other good sim's out there, but sooner or later I just stop playing them. I think that development of LFS is the thing that keep's me playing it after all these years. Every now and then LFS get's some new features and other new stuff and the overall quality of the additional stuff stays constant, which is small problem with 3rd party mods IMHO. I realy like many car sim's (GPL, Viper Racing, Nascar, RBR), but sooner or later I've seen almost everything in it and I stop playing it.
some of the mods are very nice, driving an old legendary Ferrari (cant remember the exact name) round Montreal is pretty pleasurable, and whether the physics are right or wrong, its enjoyable.

As i said, If you stop picking faults with the physics engine (no offence to anybody), you can enjoy the game.. The online isnt very good, but racing against about 40 F1 cars isnt exactly bad.

I still think of LFS as the better Simulation, and rfactor more arcadey, but tbh, the only thing they have in common is cars, IMO

(also, i badly cant wait for the Monza 10K track, getting released within the next 2 days. Yes LFS is a good racer, but flying round a legendary track like that is something i cant see LFS being capable of )
Quote :cant wait for the Monza 10K track

I'm waiting for Jim Pearson to complete his full Isle of Mann TT track (37.75 miles long) for GPL. Lap times will be somewhere between 15 to 20 minutes (the real top motorcycles are just under 18 minutes. The 1967 F1 cars have more grip but less power to weight ratio).
Quote from DeKo :The online isnt very good, but racing against about 40 F1 cars isnt exactly bad.

rF has a far more advanced net-code than anything else.. not sure how you can say it is not very good.
a buddy of mine has rfactor and i did a few laps with different cars and different tracks. it feels okay. not as good as LFS but at least its better than gt4 in most aspects.
Quote from BWX232 :rF has a far more advanced net-code than anything else.. not sure how you can say it is not very good.

He didn't mention the netcode ... I understood his post as being about the lack of pick up races when compared to LFS.
Looks like you got your hands full BWX232
the 70's f1 cars are pretty fun. I just did a few laps around laguna seca with the renault. i wish we had somethng similar to that with lfs's physics engine just another car/track i want in
Quote from Pain-less :Looks like you got your hands full BWX232

LOL- I am not even going to try to correct all the flat out misinformation spewed out here about rF , but the major stuff needs to be cleared up at least.

The subjective stuff is just that, subjective.

LFS physics is definitely more advanced in many ways, no one can deny that- but in a lot of ways, overall, LFS lacks in some areas too.. People need to just realize both have their good points and both have their "not-so-good" points.

The problem I see here is that some people just like to bash anything that isn't LFS though, and not give any credit to anything else. The bottom line is both are good, both are worth the purchase price, both are worth playing and exploring. It's a shame most people cannot understand that.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG