The online racing simulator
Hackers alert / license rental
(189 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :
I'm disappointed by the lack of understanding going on now.

... and one from Chris advising me how to use my own brain. This is ridiculous and antagonistic.

I thought things were getting better after Chris's post where he acknowledged certain issues we have all learned more about on this thread. Learning more is a good thing, I think. So I don't know why argument and jibes continue at this point.

Jesus Christ, Scawen, come on.

The only thing Chris is guilty of here is not heeding his own advice to think carefully about how you could interpret his message. You've done a lot of crying about people in this thread making up things you haven't said, and now you've done exactly that yourself. You know damn well he didn't say that, and you should also know that wasn't his intent.

In my 16 years involved with LFS, one of the few constants has been you feeling persecuted when people disagree with you. I've defended you from many entitled critics over the years (look it up) but this is beyond the pale. You're acting like a child, and you're treating your biggest fans and partners like garbage. It's painful for us to read, and it is embarrassing for you.

I have a few suggestions.
  • Take a few days to implement some security measures sorely lacking from the authentication system. You owe it to your customers to provide these features to offer them at least the option of better protecting their accounts, and it's a way for you to help protect your business. Solving this problem is entirely in your power.
  • Lock the thread, if for no other reason, because you can't help yourself.
  • Take a day to consider how you've hurt the people here and try to make it right.
If your goal was to destroy good will you've built in a dwindling community, you could scarcely do it more efficiently than you're doing it here.
Quote from chucknorris :It's easy to say that if nobody can verify that.

(...blabla...)

Hence why I proposed to have a solution built-in right into LFS that would enable to identify individual hardware. But it's ultimately up to Scawen to decide whether the issue is big enough to undertake such steps.

am not sure why u need to invalidate that 7.5% when it is a fact, yes it is based on IPs and we dont need more than that to get a global view of number of shared accounts (yes, I didnt write rented account as u imply in ur post
hhowever I see u still need to blame other people for the issue and dont even think of changing anything in ur handling of it, again it's the job of other people to fix the mess that u still help to create (neutral stance, u wrote it)

(I expect partisan reactions with facepalms and question marks yes go on it's telling so much lol)
Quote from tmehlinger :You're acting like a child, and you're treating your biggest fans and partners like garbage.

That's not true, you are simply not reading my posts as they were intended.

Quote from tmehlinger :It's painful for us to read, and it is embarrassing for you.

I'm not embarrassed. As I've explained many times, asked a few questions, made a single unpopular suggestion and I stated a few facts. There's nothing wrong with that.

Better go back and read the thread again so you can see how it evolved.
Quote from turbofan :am not sure why u need to invalidate that 7.5% when it is a fact, yes it is based on IPs and we dont need more than that to get a global view of number of shared accounts (yes, I didnt write rented account as u imply in ur post
hhowever I see u still need to blame other people for the issue and dont even think of changing anything in ur handling of it, again it's the job of other people to fix the mess that u still help to create (neutral stance, u wrote it)

(I expect partisan reactions with facepalms and question marks yes go on it's telling so much lol)

I don’t see how this childish fight is going to resolve anything.
Quote from tmehlinger :Jesus Christ, Scawen, come on.

The only thing Chris is guilty of here is not heeding his own advice to think carefully about how you could interpret his message. You've done a lot of crying about people in this thread making up things you haven't said, and now you've done exactly that yourself. You know damn well he didn't say that, and you should also know that wasn't his intent.

In my 16 years involved with LFS, one of the few constants has been you feeling persecuted when people disagree with you. I've defended you from many entitled critics over the years (look it up) but this is beyond the pale. You're acting like a child, and you're treating your biggest fans and partners like garbage. It's painful for us to read, and it is embarrassing for you.

I have a few suggestions.
  • Take a few days to implement some security measures sorely lacking from the authentication system. You owe it to your customers to provide these features to offer them at least the option of better protecting their accounts, and it's a way for you to help protect your business. Solving this problem is entirely in your power.
  • Lock the thread, if for no other reason, because you can't help yourself.
  • Take a day to consider how you've hurt the people here and try to make it right.
If your goal was to destroy good will you've built in a dwindling community, you could scarcely do it more efficiently than you're doing it here.

Scawen never brought up TC in the first place, that was your players and community that bringed that part up.
Quote from Scawen :I'm disappointed by the lack of understanding going on now.

The point is the lack of updates as far as i understand. Considering you as a very passionate developer, some people may understand that things are not easy so far, but, still, plenty of them just need some kind of approval. This is not related to the game itself, nor the gameplay provided by the TC or JaR or idk. The tempo of LFS development just doesnt suit the modern(shitty) world, so people try to entertain themselve in this game more and more. Selling TC currency for real $$$ = TC issue, not (direct) devs problem cmon, lol. Shared accounts - same. Im telling u this as a very long-term shared acc user(never cruise, only drift and race)
Quote from paket42x :Im telling u this as a very long-term shared acc user(never cruise, only drift and race)

Quote from Scawen :
I'll have to take some more days off actual Live for Speed development in order to try to detect accounts that are being passed around.

If everyone is as generous and honest as this genius, it won't take you as long as you think.
Quote from paket42x :Im telling u this as a very long-term shared acc user(never cruise, only drift and race)

perma ban Wave
This particular acc was never shared, so u gotta chill guysRofl
"as a very long-term shared acc user" get banned my men
Hi all,

I will disconnect from this thread now to focus on work.

I'd like to thank Chris again for his well written post which I said I would read again later.

I hope it's OK to say a few parting words. I know TC provides a lot of entertainment within LFS, which is a good part of why I've always done a few things here and there to support cruise servers. I don't believe TC or I can eliminate license sharing but we can be aware of it and reduce it. At least some of us learned a few things in this thread that we were not aware of before.

No doubt I have expressed some things too strongly and interpreted other people's words wrongly as it got too heated in this thread. I hoped after Chris's post that we were moving on, and I still hope that.
Ok, lets start real talk now
Quote from Scawen :That's not true, you are simply not reading my posts as they were intended.

As a general aside, if a multitude of people are not reading posts as they were intended, perhaps they have not been written as intended.
All right, I don't see any more comments and can't think of more that needs to be said so I'll close the thread.
This thread is closed

Hackers alert / license rental
(189 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG