The online racing simulator
Overclocking CPU
(27 posts, started )
Overclocking CPU
I was thinking of overclocking my CPU just to see how much of an improvement LFS would be.

Here is the components I have.

Athlon 3500+ XP 64 Bit
2GB PC3200 RAM
Nvidia 6800GT 256MB AGPX8

I just changed the settings on my graphics card to add Antialising Setting from "None" to 8xS, and Anisotropic Filtering to 16x.

On my previous settings, both Antialising Setting and Anisotropic Filtering were switched off. And on the race I would have 50+ onto T1 from the back of the grid, and 90 when racing alone. *only because I set the max fps to 100*

On the new settings. It's 40+ to T1 and 70+ FPS during the race. Just thinking of overclocking the Processor, to see how much better of a performance it would be. But before I do:

What is the consequence of overclocking processors?
Is it recommended?
How would I overclock it? Via Bios?

Any help would be appreciated.
#2 - dev
Every CPU in my house is overclocked On 3 of them (out of 5) i had to change the cooler.
#4 - Jakg
up to 10% is easy in the bios, but the stock cooler can't do 5% for long turns (without going to 48 degrees - but cool n quiet helps)
The main danger comes when you start to increase the current to the processor. That's when the temps start to increase. If you only overclock to the point at which you would need to increase the current you are pretty safe. There's another thread where this was discussed breifly here:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11921
#6 - CSU1
I got a diesel gererator and hooked it up to my psu, overclocked my tcp and everything is fine now
Overclocking is a good way to improve framerates in LFS, up to a point. Too high and you start getting math errors.

I overclocked my P4 2.8 up to 3.2 and got a 35fps increase in the LFS benchmark. I have it back at 3.0, just for my peace of mind, but it runs cool as a cucumber, I never top more than 45C.

I've since turned on AA and AF, so my framerates are down quite a bit, and since I have a slow cars (Radeon 9550) it's graphics card limited. Looks sooooooo much better though, lol.
#8 - CSU1
I AGREE 100%
Ok I'm in a right pickle. I was searching around in BIOs, just familarizing myself, and looking about on my PC. I accidently set the CPU FSB (Clock) *that is as much as I can remember* from 204, to 250. Don't ask how, I have trigger fingers.

And because it was saved to a "CSMOS" *can't remember the name* The PC doesn't boot itself up properly anymore.

Accidental, but I am sure it is fixable.

How do I solve this problem?
Quote from BigDave2967 :Ok I'm in a right pickle. I was searching around in BIOs, just familarizing myself, and looking about on my PC. I accidently set the CPU FSB (Clock) *that is as much as I can remember* from 204, to 250. Don't ask how, I have trigger fingers.

And because it was saved to a "CSMOS" *can't remember the name* The PC doesn't boot itself up properly anymore.

Accidental, but I am sure it is fixable.

How do I solve this problem?

You'll have to flash the bios back to the standard settings. Not sure exactly how though.

btw FSB=front side bus
Quote from Gentlefoot :You'll have to flash the bios back to the standard settings. Not sure exactly how though.

btw FSB=front side bus

Thanks mate .

Can anyone help how I can get to the BIOs and set it back to normal?

The monitor light flashes, *monitor works* and I can't get any further.
There will be a jumper someone on the motherboard. You'll need to either move the jumper to short the other 2 pins (out of 3), or short 2 pins manually. Do that for ~30s or so, and cmos will be reset.
You may be able to hold down Insert to force it to defaults temporarily so you can go back into the BIOS and set the FSB back.

Otherwise, you'll have to find the jumper on the motherboard that says something like "Clear CMOS". You'll then have to go back into the BIOS and set EVERYTHING back to how it used to be, including the date and time.

BTW, there's no such thing as an Athlon XP 64. Athlon XP was the old Socket A Athlon, sometimes refered to as K7. Athlon 64 is the newer Athlon, sometimes refered to as K8.
#14 - J.B.
You don't need to flash anything. Open your PC, look for the jumper with a battery next to it, pull off the jumper, put it back on but connect the two pins that weren't connected before, wait a few seconds, put jumper back to old position, done!

If you have any problems you should take a look at the manual that came with the motherboard.

EDIT: Wow, two posts while I was typing.
That is flashing BIOS, well resetting anyway.

When OCing, work in small bumps (around 10FSB), until you get stuck, then you can do one of two things.
1, Back down a tad, check if it is stable (using Prime95 on a loop for 24 hours) leave it alone
2, Start overvolting.

Do not forget however, that when you bump your FSB you are also overclocking every other bus in your system, so if your BIOS allows it, lock the bus speed for PCI to 33, AGP to 66, and if your RAM does not clock very well, put it on a divider. This usally means you can take your PC a little higher as you are not stressing other parts of your system.

Also remember to put the LDT on a lower divider, if I remember correctly you need to keep it below 700MHz on nForce3 boards.
Heh I won't bother after all .

Thank you for the help lads, I have my pc back up and running.

I do have one question.

Which AA and AF settings maxes out the LFS?

I have mine at 8xS and 16x at the moment.
What do you mean "maxes out"?
#18 - Jakg
Quote from BigDave2967 :Heh I won't bother after all .

Thank you for the help lads, I have my pc back up and running.

I do have one question.

Which AA and AF settings maxes out the LFS?

I have mine at 8xS and 16x at the moment.

that's the most you'll get without SLi (but if you do that it disables all speed benefit)

OT - whenever I go full screen it disables AA/AF, does anyone know why?
disclaimer : if u kill your CPU or any part of your pc by trying anything described below U are the only one responsible and dont have the right to get mad at me :P
This is also just a guideline as u might be using an older core 3500+ or even a motherboard that wont allow u to change every setting.
There are also faster ways to oc from windows ,but they dont allow u to adjust the multiplier,ram timings or ram divider ,so i prefer to Oc straight from the bios.

U will need a few software tools before u start;
First and foremost get Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) so u can monitor your temps and voltages.
Aslo get CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) so u can easily see at what speed your processor and memory runs
and Finally u should get Prime95 and use its torture test to check for stability issues ; let it run for about 15minutes and if it throws an error u should lower the OC(if u see no errors and temps stay low u can go higher), once u think u have a stable OC let it run a few hours and see it it stays errorfree.

Then on to the overclocking itself (and i hope u know how to do a CMOS-reset because u might well need it )

Start by lowering your CPU multiplier from 11 to 7 orso. (do this so u can test the higest FSB your ram can handle without actually overclocking the CPU at first)
Then relax your ram timings (3-4-4-8 should work) plus set the Ram voltage to 2.8 and start upping your FSB in steps of 10mhz, do this untill Windows wont boot or till u get errors in prime95. once u get errors or it wont boot, lower the FSB by 5. If it's stable then up it by 2 till u find the higest FSB that still runs prime stable.

Once u have found the limits of your ram u can start on the CPU.
Set the Ram divider to 200 or 333mhz (instead of 400, this time so u only OC the processor and not the ram) and the CPU-multiplier to 11, then start at 220FSB orso and boot.
U SHOULD get into windows and see in CPU-Z that the CPU runs at 2420mhz
Run prime95 for 15minutes and see if its stable (and monitor your temps! ,i would aim to keep your CPU temp below 55°celcius under load)
if its totally stable AND doesnt run hot u can up the FSb by 10mhz ,if its unstable but not overheating u can try upping the voltage by 0.05v.
Do this untill u get prime errors or untill the temp under load ges too high. Then lower the FSB by 5mhz and try again (same as with the ram ,if it works go 2higher ,if it doesnt go 2 lower)

Once u know both the higest ram speeds and higest CPU speeds u can start matching them up.
Say your ram goes up to 260mhz and your CPU goes up to 2500mhz without overheating. Then try to boot at 260(fsb) x 9.5(multiplier) which will give a cpu speed of 2470mhz. (note that the ram divider would be back at 400mhz here)
If your ram only goes up to 220mhz and your cpu up to 2600 u wil have to set the ramdivider to 333mhz and run the CPU at 260 x 10. this will have your CPU running at 2596 mhz and the ram somewhere near 220.

Once u have found a stable final overclock u can try tightening the Ram latencies, lowering the RAM voltage and cpu voltage in small steps (all 1 by 1) till u get a stable CPU running at the lowest voltages and u get a tiny bit of extra performance out of the ram with tighter latencies.

Note that some boards wont like half multipliers (they might not boot ,or underclock your ram by themselves) ; some ram might not like booting in anything but their rated specs (so a CL2 stick might refuse to boot in cl3) and some procs clock better then others. So u will have to test yourself what the highest speeds u can reach are.

As an example my 3500+(venice core)with TCCD ram runs at 2800mhz (280x10) rockstable for 24/7 at 1.45v and ram timings of 3-4-4-7 under a Tunic tower 120. (whee FX-57 speeds for 95€ instead of 850€ ) and temps are 35°idle ,42° load
Dont expect to reach 2800 mhz on a stock cooler ,but u should be able to reach +-2500mhz without much problems which is almost a 15% OC for free, which should be noticable in any benchmark and in LFS too

Hope this gets u started and u dont kill any hardware
I take it you rolled down your multi then, as the 3200 is 200x10.

But you cannot tell anyone values to use. As no two OC the same.
i dont think i told him any values to use? just a general ,rough guide on how he could OC

And yes i set my multi from 11 to 10; have a 3500,not 3200
I would have used 295 x 9,5 as my ram clocked all the way up to 302Mhz without throwing errors. But my lousy asus board locks the ram divider to 333mhz each time i use half multipliers..so 280x10 will have to do
Well all you can really do for someone who doesn't know OC'ing is provide them with a reading list. The way I learnt was to jump into BIOS and play until it breaks, flash, and try again.

That's ASUS for you. Though I did have a lot of problems using dividers on some cheap Samsung ram. Which was never fun. My new G.Skill OC'es like the stink, 275MHZ on 2-3-3. But I don't see much point in laxing up anymore then that, because the timings would just cancel out any speed boosts from the higher clock.
Quote from Noccy :i dont think i told him any values to use? just a general ,rough guide on how he could OC

And yes i set my multi from 11 to 10; have a 3500,not 3200
I would have used 295 x 9,5 as my ram clocked all the way up to 302Mhz without throwing errors. But my lousy asus board locks the ram divider to 333mhz each time i use half multipliers..so 280x10 will have to do

my abit an8 does the same when using .5 multipliers. im running it @9*300 w 1:1 rams (they top at 650). i just suck with the multiplier, since its a E6 3000+. 10*300 would be cool doh it tops at 9*335 in summer. will try some more as winter comes
I maxed out my 3500+ clawhammer at 2.7ghz on stock cooling w/ as5

Gotta love how cold canada is!

Overclocking CPU
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG