The online racing simulator
Škoda 110 L
(40 posts, started )
Thanks Smile

Progress: created more detailed stock rims. Minor shading fixes. Created racing seats for the rally version. Updated rally version setups. Set stock pressures for the stock version according to the manual (AI drivers are now forced to use knobbly tires to prevent rolling on the roof). Updated height of the center of gravity according to newly gained information. Added a skinnable external visor on the rally version windshield.
Attached images
stovka_progress_15.jpg
Progress: finished the rally interior. Minor shading fixes. Created racing skins. Fixed proportions of the front mask and aerodynamics of the both versions. Fixed max RPM of the stock engine according to the FIA homologation archive. The rally version is now capable to compete with the XFG on rallyecross tracks. Waiting for the final version of the licensing contract.
Attached images
stovka_progress_16.jpg
stovka_progress_17.jpg
Great job!
Very nice car. Is there a chance of a smaller steering wheel that won't block the view? Big grin
Quote from seksen :Very nice car. Is there a chance of a smaller steering wheel that won't block the view? Big grin

Unfortunately, back in the day cars had large steering wheels. It is a detailed replica and I would like to keep it as realistic as possible. I would suggest to create your custom view or to turn driver and steering wheel off Smile
Smile A very well-made mod and super fun to drive. Modelling and textures that are at the top of what LFS allows. Great sound too. IMHO one of the coolest LFS mods actually (Ok, there are many Big grin).
Quote from stuchlo :Unfortunately, back in the day cars had large steering wheels. It is a detailed replica and I would like to keep it as realistic as possible. I would suggest to create your custom view or to turn driver and steering wheel off Smile

Thanks. Does the custom view work on the online server? Is it done with a mod editor?
Other than that, my current experiences include poor handling. I lowered it a little and stiffened the suspension, and it improved a little. I think the 5500 speed cutter can be made because it engages the cutter in fourth gear. It has a great first gear for its power.
Thanks everyone for the feedback Smile

Quote from seksen :Thanks. Does the custom view work on the online server? Is it done with a mod editor?

In game "options -> view" you can set your custom view for each vehicle. It can be used on most servers.

Quote from seksen :
Other than that, my current experiences include poor handling. I lowered it a little and stiffened the suspension, and it improved a little. I think the 5500 speed cutter can be made because it engages the cutter in fourth gear. It has a great first gear for its power.

It is a stock car, recreated according to IRL specification to be as realistic as possible. Default setups were tuned according to a repair manual and some stunt videos. The gear ratios are stock and 5000 max RPM are defined according to historic FIA homologation forms (homologation numbers 5312 and 1672).

For a faster driving I would suggest setups similar to the rally version with shorter gears and lower and stiffer suspension. If you create a nice racing setup, feel free to upload it to the setup section Smile
Quote from seksen :Other than that, my current experiences include poor handling. I lowered it a little and stiffened the suspension, and it improved a little.

Okay, so I have once more checked quality of the default setups and found out that I made a mistake. Stiffness and damping was previously tuned according to stunt videos, but now I have found the exact data in the manual (which I missed for some reason before). Now the stiffness, bump and rebound are computed exactly according to the real values and handling is slightly better (but still not ideal for racing Big grin) Thanks for the feedback, it helped with debugging Smile
Tomorrow we gonna bring this old thing for a spin in Fern Bay:

In case interested,feel free to join - full info: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/107304-327th-RTFR
Livestream by SimBroadcasts.tv starts 18:50 UTC (link in info thread).
Attached also RTFR promo skin,in case someone likes to add more colors to this car.
Attached images
RTFR.jpg
F7BE47_RTFR-promo.jpg
Livestream link for tonight's stream featuring this mod. Thanks for the great work!

Cool car to look at, a lot of detail and textures are really well made. Wheels could be made up to par with the rest of the model though Smile

The main issue i have with this car is the driveability, i do not know if your rear suspension type is the best way to replicate the suspension setup that the real car has, during compression it seems like the camber changes too much. Certainly goes the right way as the lower it goes the more negative it should be but dunno, it doesn't look as natural when you drop the car a few times in pit menu Big grin Open diff is also propably the worst thing you can put on this car as it makes many things way more unpredictable such as getting one tyre fire out of exits in turns and under braking if you happen to turn in it becomes a twitchy mess that needs constant sawing with the wheel to stay under control. Those things cause the car to run out of optimal tyre temps so fast that these issues multiply. But yeah, i've no clue if it is the best way to replicate the original.

I was told the car didn't really have any other differentials and that much i can understand why it is limited to open diff only, maybe in the future if its possible to limit differentials into other types you could try viscous diff instead which is sort of an open diff with preload. It retains many of the charasteristics of the open diff but with the preload it keeps at least some power on the tyre with grip so you actually dont light up the inner tyre every time you want to make a turn Big grin

Lastly, the hitbox LOD causes issues. Currently it has an angled front and rear with the front being lower than the rear of the hitbox, causing any type of front to rear contact to lift the front car up a bit and when you do this online the cars desync a bit and can cause glitchy hits. I don't know if it can be seen on the vid above but i had one incident where i only barely touched another cars bumper and was sent into a 360 spin. Bumpdrafting was also of course, out of the question and i am willing to bet you could bumpdraft these in real life with absolutely no worry at all Smile Flat surface on both rear and front up to the bumper level would be optimal solution for this.
Thanks for the feedback Smile
Quote from nikopdr :The main issue i have with this car is the driveability

Yes, I know that the Škoda 110 L Rallye mod is difficult to drive. In fact, I was amazed how fast were participants of the Rony's TFR event Smile. When recreating a real car, there is always a compromise between a good handling and realistic physics. Personally, I prefer realistic and historically accurate mods over "good to drive" ones. I have tried to recreate a realistic feel of an early 70s rallying. And driving a historic race-car is difficult Big grin Because of the Cold War, Czechoslovak manufacturers had to use simpler solutions. This is why it has a swing axle and an opened differential only. Despite this handicap, the car was better at rallying than more powerful competitors (which usually used beam axles back in the day) and was popular even in GB. Other historic cars usually used beam axles, which are not supported in the LFS and therefore an independent trailing-arm suspension is used instead. The independent trailing arm is much easier to handle than both beam and swing axle (but it is not realistic). This is why this mod is not easy to drive in a comparison with other historic mods.

I did not drive the car IRL, but have followed the technical specification closely. The only thing, which cannot be recreated in the current LFS version is the correct FF. The car has a worm-and-roller steering, which has a much less self-centering effect (despite the caster angle). I will try to lend an IRL car in the future and approximate the FF according to it.

Quote from nikopdr :Lastly, the hitbox LOD causes issues.

Thanks, I will try to tune the LOD3 to cause less multiplayer problems in the in the future :)Also I will add a second mirror for a better visibility. Unfortunately, it will take some time, because currently I am working on some models and some changes will have to be reviewed by the manufacturer again.

Current TODO list:
  • optimize clocks
  • fix shading of a damaged plates
  • improve engine sound
  • add a second mirror
  • lend an IRL car and approximate a more accurate FF
  • try to find a safer collision model
  • more detailed wheels
Outstanding mod, thanks, stuchlo!

The fact the car tends to slide a bit and has to be counter-steered actually contributes to the fun, IMO Wink
Great follow up!
The car will be featured next Monday 22.15 CET at wee.cesav.es
Registration before 21.30 CET same day!
Everybody registering is welcome!

Škoda 110 L
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG