The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
@Tristan:
Try the finnish stages. The pace is a bit lower there and due to the slippery surface you can concentrate on technique. There you can nicely learn how to balance the car using your pedals, which is 90% of what you need for RBR.
And drive slow enough to not crash. Approach your limit from below. It's similar as in LFS. When you go into arcade-mode you can't learn how to handle a car in LFS. You need to begin slowly so you can approach the limit step by step.

Vain
@Tristan: If you haven't already, you could try deleting/renaming PC_inputfilters.ini (or something like that) in the RBR install folder and in-game remove any curvatures in controls, speed sensitive steering and use more lock in the car's setup while driving. I found 720 degrees much more responsive than the default 540.

RBR steering felt a bit sluggish until I did that. Much better.
Noted with thanks both of you. I plan to persevere a bit, so tips are helpful.

The console interface is annoying as well, but I suppose I'll just have to learn to live with it
Sweeeeeet, Nice one Don!

RBR popped through the letter box today, so when I get back from college tonight i'll get it working (Hopefully) and join the tournament. Will need to get used to it again and with wheel (Was good with the pad but reactions were alot faster)

Sweeeeet
Quote from tristancliffe :But the steering feels dead (as if it's really unsensitive and very non-linear), and the force feedback is unnoticable.

Steering feels dead even after doing this? I'm sure I've recommended you to do this lag fix at least once, so if you haven't done it just do it. Now. "Maximum Fade" option should be basicly the same as linearity setting (or then I've understood something very wrong).

Quote :Same with the mods - they fact that it's almost impossible for me to find anything really puts me off any form of mod.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... p=3160948&postcount=3

Quote :The graphics need a pep up - the default cars look utterly crap.

Yes they do look. Again mods is the solution. At least every car addon made by eddy3spain/Rivers/UrQuattro/Rueda "mod team" looks amazing.

Quote :The sound is okay, but needs volume balancing. The view needs to be from a cockpit.

For sounds, check that rscnet.org link above. There is a link for a great sound mod that gives more beef to the sound.

For a decent cockpit view, use Camera Hack. With it it's possible to adjust and change view ingame.
http://toca.game-editing.net/dl?f=rbrcamhack3.0.zip

Quote :The engine needs to rev properly - anyone who says the fact it takes about 10 seconds to return from 7000rpm to idle is due to anti-lag is talking out of their arse.

Yup, even with anti-lag it's weird. Also engine braking is weird or should I say it just doesn't exist...

Quote :The fact I'm crap at it isn't the point And I think a DFP is an absolute neccessity, but I only have a Momo. Bah, I can feel an order coming on. But I can't own a DFP for 10 minutes without having to spend £250 on FREX stuff, because the CFP is crap in it's default guise (no paddles).

Don't get DFP or FREX stuff, get G25?
Bump!
@ Don's tournament
Doesn't the modded physics and add-on cars make competition, dunno... unbalanced?
Quote from spankmeyer :@ Don's tournament
Doesn't the modded physics and add-on cars make competition, dunno... unbalanced?

Actually isn't it just realistic. Do you think private teams have any real chances against Citroen or Ford this year's season? Just joking
Yeah and the Ford team changed the laws of physics too, damn them!

EDIT: The tournament went straight to the rFactor bin. Now I'm confused looking at the website what mods I need, why cars don't work, which physics should I use, which car is the fastest ehh.... help?
It is possable to make skins with demo mode and use mods with demo mode
#210 - Don
ok, i changed the damage to "realistic".

i allowed all possible cars, so that there is big chance, that you will have atleast one of them and will be able to join the tornament - because its very often problematic - too many cars, too many physics and other stuff. (and now imagine such thing in LFS, the "real" online racing sim )

i`d recommend trying to join the tournament without downloading any new cars. The new cars are maybe faster, but you will notice that only if you are really really fast driver and know the tracks pretty well.
Quote from deggis :Yup, even with anti-lag it's weird. Also engine braking is weird or should I say it just doesn't exist...

Well, that (along with wear of different parts of exhaust and engine) is the major drawback of an anti-lag system...
G25? Only when it's FREXable.
#215 - Don
You can delete my times and gimme another go please!

Lol, I was raring to go so straight after I installed it I went onto the game, clearly tehe wrong choice, should have done a few rallys lol.

But I was a bit confused as to why I couldn't use my newly installed 2006 Impreza, or any other impreza for that matter, I only had a choice of 3 cars.

It's way cool anyway, hopefully i'll be back up to speed for the next one.
Hmm. I think I could give RBR a second try. I just don't get the über rallysim feeling from it... But off I go..
make sure you guys do the steering lag fix. especially those using the dfp.
Quote from Gabkicks :make sure you guys do the steering lag fix. especially those using the dfp.

?
Tell me more! Do I miss something important?

I´m on DFP_rev B, RBR_1.02, Profiler_4.60
Just ordered mine. $32.20 ($20.60 USD) New Zealand dollars (including delivery) although i accidently put $32.50 when paying online They say it will take 1-4 weeks for delivery because they have none in stock.

The demo runs ok for me but i really should update my graphics card.
It just doesn't feel ... realistic. I'll rally trophy next to see if I could like it more... even if it is more arcade...
The steering lag fix is a lot better. Still not sure on the handling, even after downloading a default setup pack (not worked out where to put 'personal' setups yet though), but it might just be setups.

CamHack is almost impossible to work. The post-processing/replay speed mod thingy made by Kegetys works like a charm, which nice in-game help. But camhack is just needlessly complicated.

The sounds aren't great - I have no idea what's going on.
The force-feedback is almost nothing.
The engine behaviour is all wrong (listen to real WRC cars, and they don't take 10 - 15 seconds to return to idle)
If you stall and want to restart, you HAVE to go to neutral, and the starter button doesn't seem to work. You have to lift the throttle and press it again to 'automatically' start.
The auto-reset with the crappy animated 'helpers' sometimes works automatically, and sometimes doesn't, so you don't know whether to reach over and press esc.
The pace notes, no matter what settings or mods I try, never come at intelligent points.
The lack of feedback (both force and aural) means it's very very hard to tell if you've locked a wheel or two.
The handbrake is very grabby and too quick to respond I think. It's like the car suddenly gains 40mph when it's applied.
The speedo reads in kmh, which I have little mental understanding of without actively thinking about.

I WANT to like it. I think, deep down, there is a gem of a sim in there (unlike rF which I tried to like before realising it's a big pile of poo near the surface, and poo all the way to the core). I'm almost willing to try anything to make it better. It seems there is no quick fix. Is there any sim which works so effectively out of the box than LFS? Every other sim it is accepted practice to spend at least 15 days editing ini files to make it playable - surely something is wrong in that regard?

The one thing I haven't been able to tell yet is the fabled 'rubbish tarmac physics'. It's not quite an LFS in that department, but I quite like it all the same.

Cheers for the advice earlier, but you'll need to keep it coming to really convert me, though you're closer than anyone has got before!
Quote from Don :
for info how to join it, read here: http://rbr.onlinegames.cz/index.php?act=al&p=howtostart

Any chance of getting that in english? Or atleast letting me know what language it is so I can try a translator. All this online talk is making me want to reinstall RBR, especially now that I have the harddrive space for it.

EDIT:: Ok I got the plugin installed. What do I enter for the username? I know 'lfs' is the password as you stated. I tried liveforspeed international for the username but that didn't work. :-/
Quote from tristancliffe :CamHack is almost impossible to work. The post-processing/replay speed mod thingy made by Kegetys works like a charm, which nice in-game help. But camhack is just needlessly complicated.

You don't need Camhack, just open a notepad and edit zxy-axis value a bit in a config file and set the driver view as you please. That's the only view you need.

Quote :The sounds aren't great - I have no idea what's going on.

I thought the sounds were great. You don't like clanks, squeeks and rattles? That's how it sounds like in a rally car, they do not sound pleasant... and if you break your door off, the engine noise will make your ears bleed as the little sound proofing you had is now 400 meters behind you in a ditch.

Quote :The force-feedback is almost nothing.

Your settings are messed up. I can confirm that FFB on DFP feels nice and accurate.
Quote :The engine behaviour is all wrong (listen to real WRC cars, and they don't take 10 - 15 seconds to return to idle)

I have to agree somewhat, but it's not 'all wrong' - 'All wrong' is when you press gas and the car grows three legs and one tentacle to move itself forward.

Quote :If you stall and want to restart, you HAVE to go to neutral, and the starter button doesn't seem to work. You have to lift the throttle and press it again to 'automatically' start.

Is it a bug? A feature? Does it matter? Throw it in neutral, press ignition and give a little gas, engine starts and you're off again. Takes about 5 secs and I bet you lost a lot more time already when you managed to stall the engine in the first place.

Quote :The auto-reset with the crappy animated 'helpers' sometimes works automatically, and sometimes doesn't, so you don't know whether to reach over and press esc.

Auto-reseting varies between difficulty level and what game mode you are playing. The 'call for help' only works when you are stationary and stuck in a rescuable place.
Quote :The pace notes, no matter what settings or mods I try, never come at intelligent points.

I think it's more about how you perceive the notes. You have to leave small margin of play every time depending on circumstances as you can't take the notes as a absolute truth.
Quote : The lack of feedback (both force and aural) means it's very very hard to tell if you've locked a wheel or two.

Either your FFB settings are messed up or you don't hear the cues? LFS has a silent wheel lock-up too, though isn't it mostly considered as a bug?
Quote : The handbrake is very grabby and too quick to respond I think. It's like the car suddenly gains 40mph when it's applied.

You can adjust hand brake when tuning car. The sense of speed gain might be that the handbrake doesn't actually slow you down at all, your speed stays pretty much the same but the rear comes around. Thus it's very easy to go wide.

Quote :The speedo reads in kmh, which I have little mental understanding of without actively thinking about.

That kind of explains why you seem to have such a hard time getting around RBR. There's not a single reason why you should even look at speedo during racing. You drive the different kinds of curvers with a certain gear number and there's no need to even once check your speed before entering corner.

Quote :Is there any sim which works so effectively out of the box than LFS? Every other sim it is accepted practice to spend at least 15 days editing ini files to make it playable - surely something is wrong in that regard?

Damn right! But we already know, LFS and the design team are something very special...
RBR was designed on consoles and you can tell: The horrible menus and a lot of settings were defaulted very strangely for the thumbstick game pads in mind.
I'd suggest you install RBR again and do not install any mods this time. The game was perfectly playable and enjoyable after just changing the driver view axis values in config file and changing the in-game settings.

Quote : The one thing I haven't been able to tell yet is the fabled 'rubbish tarmac physics'. It's not quite an LFS in that department, but I quite like it all the same.

I haven't played LFS for a while, but I really liked the very snappy feeling of tarmac on RBR. It's not about having tons of mystery grip - you can lose grip easily if you press too hard - but you can definitely feel the grip going and coming back much better than in LFS. And France tarmac rally during rain made me shiver more than playing F.E.A.R for the first time.

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG