The online racing simulator
Editor Test Patch 0.7D40
(188 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Drifteris :So i was using an older version of editor something like 7C before, wasn't doing anything recently so was no need to update, but now downloaded D19

I don't know how people make their mods, i open vehicle editor, select my mod and it loads. Click E to go into modeler and do mapping, coloring, building, etc. Back in 7C, after doing some mapping i would press ESC and it would instantly go back to vehicle editor so i could check the lights, subobjects placement, etc.

Now it asks me if you want to quit the editor because there are some unsaved changes. As far as i know it automatically saves the changes done in modeler when you quit into vehicle editor, even in this D19. So why this extra Yes/No window? Now it only confuses me and i might quit the actual vehicle editor.

I get this pop-up too and it is a bit inconvenient. What I usually do is switch to Modeller, do some editing, then switch back to Vehicle Editor and vice versa. Having the dialog pop up every time can get a bit annoying, as I don't need to save the standalone model at all.

Maybe the unsaved changes dialog should not be shown if you enter the Modeller from Vehicle Editor?
I'm not sure how or why I made this change but maybe I was trying to make something consistent with something else. Maybe it was related to the reinstatement of SHIFT+X to exit, which I did every single time without fail, and only hid all the triangles which was so annoying (because X was the Hide key).

Now that H is the Hide key, and SHIFT+X works again, I did think there could be a danger of people pressing SHIFT+X, intending to hide points or triangles, but exit the modeller instead, so losing their modeller state including undo buffer and current selection.

I wonder if ESC should be instant exit without question (if modeller started from vehicle editor) but SHIFT+X should continue to ask for confirmation. It seems a bit odd but maybe it makes sense.
Quote from Scawen :I wonder if ESC should be instant exit without question

Few times by mistake I have lost all of the changes I made because I thought I'm in Edit Mode (Modeler) where the changes are saved automatically and usually I just ignore the message, but this time I was in vehicle editor and got confused since the message is the same.

If changes are saved automatically no need of warning. If I want to export my model as .sre, I would without reminders.
Would be nice if there is a warning message when exiting the LFS Editor window by the X.
I also sometimes lost my progress when I accidentally pushed ESC or clicked on X. I would like to have warnings if changes have been made.
-
(NathanBrazil) DELETED by NathanBrazil : wrong spot
Minor updates in D20:

ESC or SHIFT+X from Modeller do not give warning of changes if entered from Vehicle Editor
You can hide subobjects other than the selected one: show subobs NO (with subobject selected)
The single subobject mode works great, thanks! Very helpful Thumbs up
The mod upload checker has been updated to a new version.

I recommend that mod creators should use the latest test patch, to avoid any inconsistency with the upload checker.

EDIT: I have now reverted to the original mod checker. Although now there is nothing wrong with the new one, there can be inconsistencies when mod creators don't use a recent update of the editor. This is too often the case, so it isn't yet the best time to use the new mod checker.
Today I did a quick update to allow certain options to be set per vehicle, instead of being controlled by race class:

- Indicators / Headlights / Pit limiter light (in 'Light Colours')
- Handbrake / Horn / Starter Motor (in 'Allow')
- Oval suspension arms (in 'Suspension')
- Grooved slicks (in 'Wheel Object')

To use these settings if they have been adjusted in Editor D24, you will need LFS Test Patch D24.
Quote from Scawen :Today I did a quick update to allow certain options to be set per vehicle, instead of being controlled by race class:

- Indicators / Headlights / Pit limiter light (in 'Light Colours')
- Handbrake / Horn / Starter Motor (in 'Allow')
- Oval suspension arms (in 'Suspension')
- Grooved slicks (in 'Wheel Object')

To use these settings if they have been adjusted in Editor D24, you will need LFS Test Patch D24.

Omg thanks for the handbrake and hornBig grin
Just a question, I mapped some tris for pit limiter light as l_brk and enabled feature in editor but nothing happened with the car on track... im missing something?
You are correct to use the brake light assignment (you can't have brake lights and pit speed limiter light).

In Light colours tab, click the TEST button below "brake" to make sure the lights work.

You need to enable:

Pit speed limiter (in Allow)
Pit speed limiter flashing light (in Light colours)
Ok, 7D24 pit lights are wonderful, thank you Scawen
Quote from Scawen :You are correct to use the brake light assignment (you can't have brake lights and pit speed limiter light).

In Light colours tab, click the TEST button below "brake" to make sure the lights work.

You need to enable:

Pit speed limiter (in Allow)
Pit speed limiter flashing light (in Light colours)

But it's only for f1 class?
No, the idea of this change is that these options are individually selectable per vehicle, instead of being controlled by the race class.

Previously, the flashing light was enabled by F1 class, but now it is set by its own switch. You do need LFS Test Patch D24 to see the effect of the new switch, or it will still be controlled by the race class.
Quote from Scawen :No, the idea of this change is that these options are individually selectable per vehicle, instead of being controlled by the race class.

Previously, the flashing light was enabled by F1 class, but now it is set by its own switch. You do need LFS Test Patch D24 to see the effect of the new switch, or it will still be controlled by the race class.

Great adition, but would be hard to add a new mapping for it? Mapping it as brake makes it confuse. Most of modern cars have a dedicated pit/rain light. Seeing it as brake is confusing lol. My suggestion is to move it from brk to fog Tongue

Anyways love the update. Very useful.
Quote from Facu23 :My suggestion is to move it from brk to fog

Thanks for the fog light suggestion. In my version I've added a switch in the editor to choose 'brake' or 'rear fog' for the flashing pit speed light. I think this allows enough possibilities, while allowing existing F1 cars' flashing lights to continue working.

I've also added some limited sidecar support. I can't do full sidecar support at this time. I've done what I can within the limits of a compatible version. I'll describe it here in case anyone thinks of something.

Limited sidecar support for D25:

Lone wheel (e.g. front) can be offset left (in Suspension tab)
- offset wheel to right is currently disabled for compatibility
Pair of wheels (e.g. rear) can be longitudinally staggered
- only the rearmost wheel of a staggered pair is driven
- anti-roll is disabled when the pair is staggered

So this allows you to start with a trike, move the front wheel and driver to the left, and move the rear right wheel forward. Then the left rear wheel will be driven. You can use front passenger seat or a rear seat for the passenger.

Further sidecar support I can't do at this point but is noted for future:

Allow positioning of a lone wheel on the right (to allow bike on right)
Allow freehand positioning of passenger seats
Allow suspension (edit: I mean frame) tubes to not be mirrored
Passenger moving left and right for weight distribution (important for sidecar racing)
Thanks for everything you are doing Scawen, I really like what is happening.

Also I am really happy for this one coming in the future.. ( my VSEDEHOD mod needs it!! Big grin Big grin )

Quote from Scawen :Further sidecar support I can't do at this point but is noted for future:

Allow suspension tubes to not be mirrored

Editor D25: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102626

Modeller:

A new style dialog is now used for merge points (ALT+M) options
FIX: Points more likely to remain selected after scale or lathe

Vehicle editor:

For flashing pit speed limiter light - choose brake or rear fog
Width / ratio / rim width move in bigger steps with right click
Frame position adjustments use expected steps for mouse clicks

Limited sidecar support:

Lone wheel (e.g. front) can be offset left (in Suspension tab)
- offset wheel to right is currently disabled for compatibility
Pair of wheels (e.g. rear) can be longitudinally staggered
- only the rearmost wheel of a staggered pair is driven
- anti-roll is disabled when the pair is staggered

NOTE: You also need LFS test patch D25 for:
- one-wheel-drive sidecars
- pit speed limiter flashing light using fog light
Editor D26: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102626

Mod Export:

A new limit of 8192 triangles / 12288 vertices for LOD2
Groups are compressed when exporting for test or upload

Modeller:

A new function "reduce detail" is visible with triangles selected
A point is selected if unambiguous after merge to green or average
About the "reduce detail" function:

There are new limits for LOD2 in Editor D26. Maximum 8192 triangles / 12288 vertices. This is because of load glitches when people leave the pits in high-polygon models, with high-polygon LOD2 (which really should not be the case).

To help with this, for those who want to work down from a high poly model, I've added a crude "reduce detail" function that acts on the selected triangles.

I suggest using CTRL+SHIFT+LMB to flood-select groups of triangles, then click "reduce detail" (or SHIFT+R) on the small groups. Inspect them each time and undo if the effect isn't good enough.

Automatic LOD reduction is a challenging problem so this crude version is about all I can do for now. I'd like to know if anyone finds it useful.

Also to help with optimisation / load glitch reduction: Groups are also compressed when exporting for test or upload. This should have no effect on the appearance of the model.
I've tested the new reduce detail function. I probably won't use it very often, but it's a good option to have, thanks! Thumbs up

I've noticed something else (I'm not sure is this the right thread)
When I press Ctrl to rotate or select points in 2D mode - this happens:
Some of the buttons goes down there and moves around with the last selected point.
It's seems to be a problem, because it blocks the 'R' for free rotate. Only if I zoom out several times I'm able to catch that 'R' and use it.
Hard to explain sorry. Shrug
Attached images
79.jpg
80.jpg
81.jpg
Thank you for the report. It's now fixed in D27.

[ That bug came up because I had to move the position of the code for drawing the axes (and selected triangles and the 3D drag axes) to a location before the other buttons were drawn. I didn't notice that the button manager needed its position reset after that code. ]
I want to release all the recent updates (in Editor and LFS) as a new official version, but after recent time in the vehicle editor I had to do some updates first. I found it too ugly and hard to use, without tooltips, with some overlapping text and general disorganisation. This is the result of it being an old in-house development editor that was thrust upon the community without enough time to polish it. So I've spent 2 or 3 days making some improvements which should make it a better place to work and in turn can help you make nice mods. Smile

Doing tooltips is harder than you might imagine and I haven't finished them in all tabs. My head is spinning now. I would be grateful if you would test the vehicle editor updates and let me know if it seems OK.

Changes in Editor 0.7D28:

Various improvements in layout and organisation
Tooltips are now available (allows reduced button text)
A new button to show the view from driver's eye position
Editor sliders now have both arrows on the right
FIX: Spare wheel pitch now expressed in degrees
FIX: Nudging of RPM sliders in engine editor
Just a thought: The new button to show the view from driver's eye position can be useful for animation too, if can be added there.
This thread is closed

Editor Test Patch 0.7D40
(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG