The online racing simulator
Most nostalgic memories with LFS
Considering how long this sim has been around for, what is the most nostalgic memories you have of it?
Racing at the 16H of Kyoto bacck in 2008, connecting the first time after getting my S2 license back then, being able to chose between multiple pickup racing servers, under pretty much all categories: GTR, TBO, LRF... it was real fun back then..

Wish people would like to race again instead of just cruising, I mean.. it's not bad but nothing like the constant close racing you could get
Quote from ADOLF1612 :Racing at the 16H of Kyoto bacck in 2008, connecting the first time after getting my S2 license back then, being able to chose between multiple pickup racing servers, under pretty much all categories: GTR, TBO, LRF... it was real fun back then..

Wish people would like to race again instead of just cruising, I mean.. it's not bad but nothing like the constant close racing you could get

Sounds amazing! I can't wait to get my S3 license on this account. It ain't the same when using my uncle's account. I added you.
Back in around 2008, when the Conedodgers GTR server was always full. Aston National, 10 lap racing, one mandatory stop. I was one of the few weirdos racing the XRR, typically mid field, but a single time I managed to win a race. More by luck as the actual top runners all crashed out, but still. That last lap running in first was probably the most tense I've ever been racing online.
Several…
  • racing in the Kyoto 250 and the Kyoto 500 in 2008
  • Racing in the 16h race at Kyoto and having to double stint in the middle of the night as my team mate did not show up
  • Having a commentary stint in the Masters of Endurance 24 hours of Aston
  • Organising LFSCART
  • Collaborating and joining New Dimension Racing
  • Running leagues with Genuine Racing
  • Joining the CityLiga team and being involved until its end
  • My only league race victory in the UF Owner‘s Club by Zwarte Wind Racing (later Concept Racing)
  • being involved with SimBroadcasts
  • Hanging out on TeamSpeak with Dom, Deko, Ronald, Pete, Elmo, JJ Wang, … and many many many more
GT World Series with GenR. Spending long hours on TeamSpeak3 with the guys and trying our best to beat the ineX guys. What a blast.
being considered a top 3 driver of the whole sim 10 years ago
considering how long it got, I'd say driving first FM Fox Friday race.
Quote from ACCAkut :Back in around 2008, when the Conedodgers GTR server was always full. Aston National, 10 lap racing, one mandatory stop. I was one of the few weirdos racing the XRR, typically mid field, but a single time I managed to win a race. More by luck as the actual top runners all crashed out, but still. That last lap running in first was probably the most tense I've ever been racing online.

ConeDodgers! I was there too, how I wish such a server would become populated again, just plain GTR pickup racing goodness, no ratings, no intake restrictions, nothing more, spent hours racing there with all 3 GTRs but FZR and XRR were the most rewarding always
Quote from ACCAkut :Back in around 2008, when the Conedodgers GTR server was always full. Aston National, 10 lap racing, one mandatory stop. I was one of the few weirdos racing the XRR, typically mid field, but a single time I managed to win a race. More by luck as the actual top runners all crashed out, but still. That last lap running in first was probably the most tense I've ever been racing online.

Servers seemed to be more full back in those days... A bit of a shame, but glad to still see some regulars online. Winning a race is a great feeling, considering how difficult that may be.
Quote from TFalke55 :Several…
  • racing in the Kyoto 250 and the Kyoto 500 in 2008
  • Racing in the 16h race at Kyoto and having to double stint in the middle of the night as my team mate did not show up
  • Having a commentary stint in the Masters of Endurance 24 hours of Aston
  • Organising LFSCART
  • Collaborating and joining New Dimension Racing
  • Running leagues with Genuine Racing
  • Joining the CityLiga team and being involved until its end
  • My only league race victory in the UF Owner‘s Club by Zwarte Wind Racing (later Concept Racing)
  • being involved with SimBroadcasts
  • Hanging out on TeamSpeak with Dom, Deko, Ronald, Pete, Elmo, JJ Wang, … and many many many more

You really lived the experience! Im jealous. Kyoto seems to be a nostalgic fan favourite...
Quote from MousemanLV :GT World Series with GenR. Spending long hours on TeamSpeak3 with the guys and trying our best to beat the ineX guys. What a blast.

Ahh... TeamSpeak. Brings back many memories. These days Discord is the TS of today.
Quote from Iginla :being considered a top 3 driver of the whole sim 10 years ago

Damnnnn... What a flex!
Quote from ADOLF1612 :ConeDodgers! I was there too, how I wish such a server would become populated again, just plain GTR pickup racing goodness, no ratings, no intake restrictions, nothing more, spent hours racing there with all 3 GTRs but FZR and XRR were the most rewarding always

It's a shame I wasn't there when things like this were happening... What would you say is the current best equivalent to relive the style?
Quote from LightBlazeMC :It's a shame I wasn't there when things like this were happening... What would you say is the current best equivalent to relive the style?

I think the closest available right now would be the Air Attack Multiclass server, but it's got 2 issues: 1) not being that populated, it only gets some racing a few hours a day and it depends on which day it seems like, and 2) the fact it's got a Rating system, the server has you race and accumulate points by completing races and driving cleanly, and depending on your amount of points you'll unlock cars to race with, you'll have to start racing the UF1 (the mini-inspired car) and keep on unlocking cars over time

Conedodgers back in the day was just log in, pick any of the 3 GTRs and go racing, yeah it provided some serious crashes and pile ups on turn 1 every race but it was part of the fun, avoiding that and chasing the faster guys, some very close races happened there, sadly there's not that many racers interested in pickup GTR racing anymore, or almost any pickup racing in that matter, today it's either Demo servers, league racing or Cruise/Drift servers, at least now cruise servers allow mods and you can test drive a lot of cars all the time but.. nothing like the abundant close racing of yesteryear

To be honest I think such kind of racing could make a comeback if properly announced and supported by the community, creating some new servers and pushing them either here and inside other servers to encourage drivers to join these pickup racing servers instead of cruising/drifting, we could have a resurgence of fun available racing in LFS again.. I only wish, but I'd totally help if such thing could happen

Maybe even use the likes of Youtube or similar to promote the servers and racing... who knows...
Quote from Iginla :being considered a top 3 driver of the whole sim 10 years ago

u my idol back then
Quote from LightBlazeMC :Considering how long this sim has been around for, what is the most nostalgic memories you have of it?

The most memorable was getting my first bank card to pay for S1. First, it took an hour to commute to city center. Then I discovered the bank's site showed a wrong square, the house numbers were off a lot, so I had to walk a kilometer to the correct building. It was early december, and I had only a thin hat on my head, it was getting colder (-10) and I started to feel cold.

In the bank in 2003, you would sit down at a table or even come into an employee's room. They even gave me tea. Rather surprising treatment, when you're used to state banks' queues and crowded rooms.

Going back home, I took the first bus, which went in another neighborhood, hoping to connect to local buses, but they were absent. Had to walk 2 km to home, while it was already getting colder. It was -15 on our thermometer when I came home. The skin on my entire head felt like burning. I was scared I'd get sick with meningitis, but fortunately nothing happened.

Next month, guys from the city next to ours (200 km) learned that I can buy a voucher, they came by car, we met somewhere in the center (probably near that bank again), they gave me money and also 2 1L bottles of beer from their local maker. Nice and memorable. We have never met or written each other again.
I was thinking about this, I like my drifting, but when S2 came out I remember having a few races in the mini with a packed field, no one was that good, so that made it closer, that's the problem now, people are too bloody good 🤣

S2 at Christmas was the best for me though and my parents had just bought me a wheel, then S2 came out, I can't remember exactly the date though, needless to say, my parents didn't see me much that Christmas 😄
Racing in Masters Of Endurance 24h 2008-2009 season Smile

I'm really keen to get back in LFS
- Cruising in LC Liberty Cruise servers for the last few months of their existence;
- Getting a first taste of organised racing with the CTRA servers for the last few months of their existence;
- cargame.nl;
- Endurance series in the early '10s: NDR GT1/GT2, SuperGT championships and pretty much having a whole pitwall's worth of data available for each race! LFS Remote, Live Trackers with tons of data, dedicated IRC channel for communication with Race Control or just live chat/banter with other teams, along with the usual Forum Threads. Incredibly professional conditions and organisation, that to this day still blow my mind.
(Also, sharing the track with a bunch of aliens)
Quote from detail :The most memorable was getting my first bank card to pay for S1. First, it took an hour to commute to city center. Then I discovered the bank's site showed a wrong square, the house numbers were off a lot, so I had to walk a kilometer to the correct building. It was early december, and I had only a thin hat on my head, it was getting colder (-10) and I started to feel cold.

In the bank in 2003, you would sit down at a table or even come into an employee's room. They even gave me tea. Rather surprising treatment, when you're used to state banks' queues and crowded rooms.

Going back home, I took the first bus, which went in another neighborhood, hoping to connect to local buses, but they were absent. Had to walk 2 km to home, while it was already getting colder. It was -15 on our thermometer when I came home. The skin on my entire head felt like burning. I was scared I'd get sick with meningitis, but fortunately nothing happened.

Next month, guys from the city next to ours (200 km) learned that I can buy a voucher, they came by car, we met somewhere in the center (probably near that bank again), they gave me money and also 2 1L bottles of beer from their local maker. Nice and memorable. We have never met or written each other again.

Cool story! That is crazy commitment!
  • First being introduced to LFS at my dad's work in 2003 during a school holiday and beating all his colleagues at RallyX in the XFG.
  • Getting S1 for my 11th birthday in 2004
  • Annoying Boothy on Fragmaster's Ventrilo server by telling everyone to "Press i to get a boost off the line" at the start of every race.
  • CTRA. I miss it.
  • Getting banned for 12 hours from Fragmaster's Oval Junkies and subsequently finding [TC] CityDriving in 2007
  • Joining the [TC] team in October 2007
  • Countless hours of laughs and fun on the [TC] LFS and Teamspeak servers with the great community over there.
  • Competing in Genuine Racing leagues with the [TC] Racing team.
  • Organising the 2015 [TC] CityDriving Gumball Rally with almost 200 entries.
  • CityLiga. Enough said. I even made a video to commemorate the series when it ended.
  • Cargame.nl S2.
  • My first CityLiga Grid 1 win, but especially beating Cali Winkler and Patrick Kunbinji (just).
  • Trying LFS in VR for the first time.
  • Accidentally agreeing to broadcast the NDR LFS S3 Voucher Giveaway event in 2016.
  • Entering the British 24 Hour Kart Race with a bunch of my team mates at [TC] (we later started Rethink Racing)
  • Deciding to hang up my racing gloves and start Sim Broadcasts with Chris and Deko on 22nd February 2020
I've made a lot of great memories since then, but it's not yet nostalgic, so I'll leave my summary there! I probably forgot a lot of things.
  • Cargame.nl severs, countless pickup races
  • Pickup races in GTR, FBM, FOX
  • Many hours on cruise servers gaining some great friends
  • Accidentally stealing a NDR rule book for my own series in my your dumb young years of not knowing of 'copy right' and royally angering deko. Sorry!
  • 'Racing' with SGP Team (I say 'racing' as I was dog shit slow back then)
  • Signing up for the Kyoto 500 in 2012, being given the number 72, not qualifying and making 72 my permanent race number in anything I can run when possible. Thanks for that deko, 72 will always live on.
  • Running several small leagues with varying success
  • At some point joining NDR and becoming 'JP2'
  • Help run NDR and get on deko's nerves with all my suggestions
  • Making many friends along the way and enjoying every minute of it (mostly)
  • Plus many many other things that I have forgot!
Quote from Jonathon.provost :
  • Accidentally stealing a NDR rule book for my own series in my your dumb young years of not knowing of 'copy right' and royally angering deko. Sorry!
  • Signing up for the Kyoto 500 in 2012, being given the number 72, not qualifying and making 72 my permanent race number in anything I can run when possible. Thanks for that deko, 72 will always live on.
  • Help run NDR and get on deko's nerves with all my suggestions

So you're saying your sole mission in life is to annoy me? Omg omg omg

And you're suggesting I get angry? Dead banana
Quote from dekojester :So you're saying your sole mission in life is to annoy me? Omg omg omg

And you're suggesting I get angry? Dead banana

Not my mission, just a by-product Big grin

Usually as a result of the above Tongue

Most nostalgic memories with LFS
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG