The online racing simulator
Give it Up for Eric Bailey
(66 posts, closed, started )
Quote from deggis :Too bad that we can't see Eric's full talent, thanks to the lo-res textures.

The nice thing is that I can play LFS at a constant 70fps with full detail on a PC that will laugh out loud at me when I try to play most other things (GTR/Drivers Republic etc). And LFS still looks pretty darn good to me.
Quote from Michael Denham :The nice thing is that I can play LFS at a constant 70fps with full detail on a PC that will laugh out loud at me when I try to play most other things (GTR/Drivers Republic etc). And LFS still looks pretty darn good to me.

True, even I have low-end computer but I don't understand why not include hi-res textures. Then you could simply choose between "normal" and "high" quality graphics settings. One reason could be that they want to keep the download file size small, which would be pretty ridiculous excuse since the 56 kbps modem era is over...
Very true...
Shut it, Green Chicane is the best thing about LFS
Ya Eric's work is nice, tho I do see room for improvement

Speaking of tracks, I think there are too much straight lines in LFS tracks currently. I'd like to see a track, not that long, say between 4 and 6km, like a normal GP track lenght, but something that makes you sweat. A track where one turn doesn't wait next one, where some turns are sharp downhill opposite banking blind turns, where you have sharp blind uphill turns, sequences that unbalance the car constantly...Without high curbs.
#56 - JJ72
Quote from Nick_ll :Speaking of tracks, I think there are too much straight lines in LFS tracks currently. I'd like to see a track, not that long, say between 4 and 6km, like a normal GP track lenght, but something that makes you sweat. A track where one turn doesn't wait next one, where some turns are sharp downhill opposite banking blind turns, where you have sharp blind uphill turns, sequences that unbalance the car constantly...Without high curbs.

cadwell.
Quote from deggis :True, even I have low-end computer but I don't understand why not include hi-res textures. Then you could simply choose between "normal" and "high" quality graphics settings. One reason could be that they want to keep the download file size small, which would be pretty ridiculous excuse since the 56 kbps modem era is over...

You might as well consider its [texturing time]x2
Quote from BurnOut69 :You might as well consider its [texturing time]x2

Of course but it would also look x2 better.
Quote from BurnOut69 :You might as well consider its [texturing time]x2

this is wrong, texturing will be only once and then downsampled for lower resolution, so no time waste
Quote from JJ72 :cadwell.

You omitted the word "sharp" in my post. Long long multi-apex turns are boring IMO. I'm not talking of a track like Blackwood where the challenge is more to keep the momentum. I'm talking about a track, designed by Eric, not a real track, where you actually have to brake, even in the FOX and where the challenge would be to actually keep the car on track on blind opposite banking turns and on sequences, like esses, where you have to reaccelerate uphill during the turns if you want to be fast.
I think he meant that Cadwell is a good example. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KL9unpxzewo (imagine it being wider, and for faster cars) (1:30 mark is where the cool corners are)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TpwvM4Hy7_o

I certaintly think it is... we don't have anything as hilly or technical as this. I am still dying to have more technical tracks... because when being asked what my favorite S2 track is... it never is easy to answer, because I still prefer Fern Bay or something that has a bit more "activity" when I drive. Aston certaintly needs a complete makeover to have some technical parts, that's for damn sure. Westhill could use 1 or 2 extra configs that cater towards people who wish to have technical action and some slow hard-braking sections.

My god I was watching the Turkey GP and that track is very well designed, and it has quite a few cleverly designed corners that need to be taken slow and require lots of skill. Aston lacks character, it doesn't have anything unique to make it stand out... other than its Eau Rouge chicane which is hardly ever used because it is so ridiculously unrealistic.
Errm...I looked at the map of Cadwell and was saying I found it didn't have much interesting turns.
Quote : Originally Posted by BurnOut69
You might as well consider its [texturing time]x2
Of course but it would also look x2 better.

It's not just texturing which makes or breaks good looks. There are other details; grass for instance, not simply flat textured ground, but actual grass. I'm thinking of TM Nations, there are probably other rally type games out there which do similar or better things with grass. If done well- the tracks would look more lively (alive). Less like play models. There is some grass in LFS at the moment but it's at the periphery of the tracks.
Quote from Electrik Kar :It's not just texturing which makes or breaks good looks. There are other details; grass for instance, not simply flat textured ground, but actual grass. I'm thinking of TM Nations, there are probably other rally type games out there which do similar or better things with grass. If done well- the tracks would look more lively (alive). Less like play models. There is some grass in LFS at the moment but it's at the periphery of the tracks.

having that type of grass, means a lot of alpha blending and a big impact on performance, i'd rather would like a smarter texture mapping and simulate 3d depth on textures...think about the 3d border of tarmac like i used on my textures as an example of what i mean.
imo texturing is always underestimated on games, a smart and good texturing can do a lot with very very little performance impact, while usually any special effect has a big impact on performance. if the goal of lfs is to be good even on old pc, then texturing should have more attention...
Absolutely, positvely, yes! 1,000 times yes! Great work Eric! And the other two... whoever they are...

This sim is top of the heap. And it looks fantastic!
Yes, Eric has done an amazing job with the tracks. Can't wait to see the next updates.
This thread is closed

Give it Up for Eric Bailey
(66 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG