Right, just to put this one to bed...sort of.

At least I now know what is causing the problem. After all my tests etc, it seems that Packet Loss is not the primary cause! Packet Loss is bad, but is not the main factor in this case.

It seems my ISP, Talktalk, have restrictions on basically the majority of ports that are NOT used primarily for browsing. So you can browse all you like and use the internet as normal, but when it comes to using P2P software or online gaming on a similar port range then you are stuffed

Basically the ISP is restricting these ports, making it pretty useless to try and play games online.

The way I discovered this was that at 12.30 at night, my line would go magically go back to normal! This is because the ISP lifts the port restrictions at this time of night.

I have asked my ISP to lift the restrictions to port 63392 as used by most LFS servers, but as yet I have had no luck

As a test to this, HackerX ran a server on port 113, which worked perfectly. So obviously some lower ranges of ports are not blocked, probably those around port 80 used for browsing.

So those of you with similar problems, I would check with your ISP about what port restrictions they have. Unfortunately for me I will have to wait untill my contract runs out before I can switch ISP and return to normal use.
This is mainly for those of you who use the Talktalk Broadband service.

LFS now works perfectly OK now. After several phone calls to Talktalk they eventually unblocked the port 63392 at my request. So those of you who also have this service should also be back to normal.

Basically the story was that the ISP restricted ports in the 6000 range (or something like that) to limit the use of P2P software, unfortunately LFS was caught up in this range.

Have fun racing again
I have just requested my ISP Orange to do the same. fingers crossed
Never thought of that, nice one Mr Bogey. Going to ring my ISP ( Plusnet ) right now

Is this something new then, as this never used to happen. Is all ISP's doing the same, due to the influx of 8mb+ BB readly availble
#30 - mr_x
would it not be possible for the devs to change the port that LFS uses so ISP's don't have it blocked?

I'm having problems since U20 with something similar. I get occasional lag in servers (when all the cars disappear) it lasts about 3-4 seconds every time. quite annoying when i have someone next to me and i have to guess where they are! It's not my connection as i can play any other game with little or no lag online. so could be the same problem as above. my ISP is Pipex if anyone was wondering I'm on 2mb/256k
Quote from mr_x :would it not be possible for the devs to change the port that LFS uses so ISP's don't have it blocked?

I second the idea. (if its possible) It probably effects lots of us. How do we send requests like this to the devs?
You might want to note that my ISP only unblocked the ports for like a week before blocking them again. Buggers! So I am now in the process of phoning etc etc again

The problem with changing the port for LFS, is that the ISPs often restrict a whole range of ports. And even if it were to change to a port that is currently unrestricted then I am sure the ISP would detect it and clamp down on that port too.

You can't win unless you really get your ISP sorted out. I thought I was getting close to having it sorted recently as I was speaking to tech guys who ACTUALLY KNEW(!) what I was on about and seemed like they were trying to help.

Anyway it is an ongoing mess until I change ISP when my contract runs out
@ Fordy & anyone else phoning their ISP:

They will most likely throw the 'fair usage policy' excuse at you. Just like has been done to me. Even though I am supposedly paying for an 'unlimited' service! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

hmm, cancellation fee = £70....ouch
#34 - Jakg
Quote from mrbogeyman :They will most likely throw the 'fair usage policy' excuse at you. Just like has been done to me. Even though I am supposedly paying for an 'unlimited' service! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i think it's fair for you to use a small amount of bandwidth on a perfectly legal game using the service you pay for instead of port 80 downloads
Quote from Jakg :i think it's fair for you to use a small amount of bandwidth on a perfectly legal game using the service you pay for instead of port 80 downloads

exactly. but they dont.

I think Pipex are going to get my custom soon....
#36 - Jakg
Quote from mrbogeyman :exactly. but they dont.

well have you tried explaining to them that you think its unfair that you are limited on what you pay good money for and that the newspapers would like to here about it?
Quote from Jakg :well have you tried explaining to them that you think its unfair that you are limited on what you pay good money for and that the newspapers would like to here about it?

I can't be arsed, and I have tried politely already. I don't fancy screaming at some scouser wifey who doesn't actually understand what im on about.
Quote from mrbogeyman :I can't be arsed, and I have tried politely already. I don't fancy screaming at some scouser wifey who doesn't actually understand what im on about.

Vote with your feet. Move ISP.

If you request a MAC (Migration Code) from Plusnet they HAVE to give you one, and assuming you aren't going to keep any kit they gave you, they shouldn't charge you. Give that code to your new ISP and you dont have to go through the faff that you do with cancelling and then ordering again.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Vote with your feet. Move ISP.

If you request a MAC (Migration Code) from Plusnet they HAVE to give you one, and assuming you aren't going to keep any kit they gave you, they shouldn't charge you. Give that code to your new ISP and you dont have to go through the faff that you do with cancelling and then ordering again.

thanks for that tip. ill keep it in mind.

ive started another thread about gamer friendly ISPs now anyway.
can't we ust change the port the game uses?
Quote from TheAni :can't we ust change the port the game uses?

If you fancy talking every server admin into changing the port, then yes. The problem being that any high port number (> 1024) is usually throttled and blocked by ISPs, if they do it at all, and running non-standard applications on ports < 1024 isnt a recommended practise.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Vote with your feet. Move ISP.

From experience, when you request a MAC code make absolutely sure you do not mention anything about closing your account with them, or alternatively spelling it out very clearly they are not to close it. Some ISPs punish leaving customers by giving a MAC code and closing the account anyway (which means you have to wait 2 weeks and the code is useless).
Thanks for your email. Ihug does not currently practice any port blocking, and the only throttling or rate restriction we do is limiting a customer to 64kbps when they go over their monthly data allowance.

____________________________________________________-

I didn't think it was that :|
Therefore this case is not solved!!
Well, it is solved because I know the reason for my crap connection.

Therefore I can now do something about it, like changing ISP.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :From experience, when you request a MAC code make absolutely sure you do not mention anything about closing your account with them, or alternatively spelling it out very clearly they are not to close it. Some ISPs punish leaving customers by giving a MAC code and closing the account anyway (which means you have to wait 2 weeks and the code is useless).

Which is an illegal practise, as far as I am aware.
How come it says this problem is solved im still having problems? Inface I "Cant connect to master server" at the moment, so I can't have a game.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Which is an illegal practise, as far as I am aware.

That's what I've understood as well, but after two months I now have my connection working perfectly, do I want to deal with UKO ever again, even if I might gain somehting from it? Naw, I'll just stick to what I got and make sure anyone I come in contact with knows that UKO is shite, which is good enough for me

Quote :How come it says this problem is solved im still having problems? Inface I "Cant connect to master server" at the moment, so I can't have a game.

Probably because the person who started the thread did get his problem solved.
That sucks Looks like I might have to get a refund or sell my LFS.

Kinda sucks really
Quote from antman2006 :That sucks Looks like I might have to get a refund or sell my LFS.

Kinda sucks really

You obviously do not have the same problem as myself. I suggest you start your own thread to outline your problem and provide details of what you have tried.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG