The online racing simulator
3rd LFS.exe crash in 1 hour
(41 posts, started )
Quote from anttt69 :just had another game crash had LFS on for 2hour s played on & off then half way through a big race with a decent lead over 2nd place man it just crashed? black screen LFS.exe an error has occured at exeption .......blah

That sucks mate, but maybe you should try to give more specific information. I'm pretty sure blah doesn't help.
Because each crash gives the same result, for me anyway, that it's encountered a problem and has to close.

However with Team Speak off i've had no crashes in a while and it seems fine now.

If you have others programmes off try turning them off Trax, like MSN or team speak programmes, (not signing out, i mean exit) and any toolbar application you don't need (Quicktime, winzip etc etc) and remove old crap from your pc like old BF games you never play, free up some space. If you havn't done, defragment your pc and have as little stuff on ur desktop.

Doing all of this seems to have helped me, but it as all over a length of time when trying to work out what the f0x was up.
Quote from Bawbag :Because each crash gives the same result, for me anyway, that it's encountered a problem and has to close.

However with Team Speak off i've had no crashes in a while and it seems fine now.

If you have others programmes off try turning them off Trax, like MSN or team speak programmes, (not signing out, i mean exit) and any toolbar application you don't need (Quicktime, winzip etc etc) and remove old crap from your pc like old BF games you never play, free up some space. If you havn't done, defragment your pc and have as little stuff on ur desktop.

Doing all of this seems to have helped me, but it as all over a length of time when trying to work out what the f0x was up.

Thanks for the tips Ray, but basically all the things you mention, I've already tried. LFS crashes with and without MSN on, with and without IRC, etc. Plus, I always keep the pc clean, defragment at least once a month and so on... The worst thing is that it doesn't seem consistent. I can have three crashes in 15 minutes (see those crash posts above) and after the third crash it can be fine for many hours (like saturday night).

have you tried some ram testing tool like memtest, or set some higher ram timings?
Quote from ORION :have you tried some ram testing tool like memtest, or set some higher ram timings?

I've tried ram testing some time ago, but I have to say that I wasn't really sure whether I had the right program and right settings for a good test. The idea of a ram problem did cross my mind during the weekend, so I'll give that ram testing another try. Problem is that it probably won't be for another two weeks before I have access to that pc again.
If you try that RAM test, make sure it runs for couple of loops. I had one machine which needed like 6-8 hours of RAM testing and several loops before it spotted the faulty RAM chip. Better leave it running over a night or day (if going to work/school etc).

As a side note. I have Radeon 9700 and the drivers must over a year old and I've never had any problems (lucky me). If it's your daddy's PC and he doesn't play any 3D games (right?), it well be problem in the gfx card. If so try some other 3D games or a 3D test. I had once a card which worked fine in 2D, but crashed after 1 min of 3D gaming.

As a quick fix: Don't run LFS on your daddy's PC

Anyway good luck and I hope you find the cause of the problem.
Quote from Aquilifer :If you try that RAM test, make sure it runs for couple of loops. I had one machine which needed like 6-8 hours of RAM testing and several loops before it spotted the faulty RAM chip. Better leave it running over a night or day (if going to work/school etc).

As a side note. I have Radeon 9700 and the drivers must over a year old and I've never had any problems (lucky me). If it's your daddy's PC and he doesn't play any 3D games (right?), it well be problem in the gfx card. If so try some other 3D games or a 3D test. I had once a card which worked fine in 2D, but crashed after 1 min of 3D gaming.

As a quick fix: Don't run LFS on your daddy's PC

Anyway good luck and I hope you find the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the tips mate, I will try them all (apart from the sentence that starts with "Don't run..." though illepall )

Quote from traxxion :That sucks mate, but maybe you should try to give more specific information. I'm pretty sure blah doesn't help.

true...... trouble is i cant remember any more info as when it happened i just moaned @my puter in dis-belief & then shut down LFS.
Running over nicht might not be a good computer, because ram can get quite hot when its stressed a lot for a very long time, and it doesnt like being hot.
So 12 hours or something might be a bit extreme if you have a crappy cooling

Usually its not a problem though, but I dont want you to burn down your house while your sleeping
Quote from Bawbag :

Doing all of this seems to have helped me,

Thanks for the advice bawbag, now I know how it feels to be doing well during a league race only to be cruelly robbed by system failure.

Ironicaly if I had of finished the race I would now be ahead of you in the league.
Quote from ORION :Running over nicht might not be a good computer, because ram can get quite hot when its stressed a lot for a very long time, and it doesnt like being hot.
So 12 hours or something might be a bit extreme if you have a crappy cooling

Usually its not a problem though, but I dont want you to burn down your house while your sleeping

I was suggesting leaving it overnight because I cannot see my computer being in 'nonproductive' use for such a long time. I get withdrawal syptoms for not playing LFS within 2 hours

I don't know how long you sleep but 12 hours sounds quite extreme to me. Have you been playing LFS all night and feeling sleepy?

Anyway the time I mentioned (6-8 hours) is quite long and I think it should emergy earlier if you really have a faulty memory chip. If you have many memory chips (like 2x512MB, 4x256MB etc) you might remove them one at the time to see which has the problem (when it start working the faulty is probably the one not inside). This is often faster than running RAM test, but not so exact (better test with RAM test too to see if it really is faulty). But to me it sounds more like GFX card problem.

BTW: And off course these tips have no warranty - if you burn your PC, house, cat, dog, father or even mother in law don't blame me

Traxxion: I'm glad you liked my quick tip about not running it in your daddy's PC. Always happy to help (idea was that if you play it rarely there it might not be worth try finding hard where the problem is)
OK, now its getting serious. I had a similar crash like described above, but now on my own pc..... pc frozen completely, sound looped and a hard reset was necessary.
This pc is only a couple of months old and hasnt ever had problems with anything... Specs: P4 3.2Ghz, ATI X1600XT, 2048Mb RAM.

I wasnt running DrWatson or anything at the time because like I said, I never have problems with this pc.

The replay is attached again. I was spectating and inside Vincent Staal's car at the time of the crash. LFS was in windowed mode.

If more information is needed, just ask. But please have a look at this, I'm seriously starting to think LFS is not good for my pc...

Attached files
temp_mpr.mpr - 504 KB - 187 views
Sad to hear

This sounds now like there is some similar 'thing' in your computers. I might try reinstalling gfx drivers (bit older might work better than the latest). You have to remove the old drivers completely (with Driver Cleaner if nothing else). If the new drivers are installed over the old ones, you might get things like these. If this doesn't help I'm running out of good ideas.

Since your PC is so new it is probably very unlikely that the Windows is trashed (unless you have played with registry etc).

BTW. Do other games work correct? Even if they do some other driver version might work better with LFS (yes, I've seen this with other games, although they used more complicated 3D effects ).

Good luck. I hope you get your system running well soon.
Thanks again for the suggestions

Ive tried a lot of gfx drivers on my dad's pc and none of them solved it. I have tried Driver Cleaner after u suggested that earlier - with no result either.

I havent been playing with registries no. And my Windows isnt trashed at all . In fact I dont do much more than LFS on my own pc. Im very keen on keeping my pc in shape, which Ive done for many years without any problems.

On my dad's pc, other games work fine (my brother plays Call of Duty almost non-stop without any problems whatsoever). I can't tell if they work on my pc since I dont have any other games than LFS

Thanks again, I'm just hoping Scawen can do something with the replays and error reports..
Hi, I see this is an old thread, but I had the same issue, so I think it might be helpful to share my experience. Sadly, it's not a game bug and the devs can do nothing about it. I fixed the problem by buying a nVidia GeForce After trying about thousand BIOS and Catalyst settings, additional cooling of the Radeon, lowering details, everything...nothing worked. It's just some incompatibility, that occurs when using an ATI videocard with a VIA mobo chipset. So, traxxion, I suspect you are using a VIA chipset, aren't you?
My video was a PowerColor Radeon 9250. It's a very low end videocard, so when the problem first occured I thought It's just not capable of handling LFS. But that didn't make much sense because it ran so well on the integrated VIA video which is a junk And still, other games (Open GL) ran also well on the Radeon. The problem is about applications that use mainly D3D...
So, after reading about million pages on the issue, I found that it's between ATI and VIA ... Nothing we can do about it.
nah its not that.
i used to have an VIA board / chipset with a radeon 9200. no crashes at all.
there has to be more as that...maybe...via + ati + pentium ( i dunno! )

3rd LFS.exe crash in 1 hour
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG