The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Would it be possible to get clutch temp & engine damage as dashboard warning icons?
Would love to be able to use them both for mods and with SimHub.
I don't think the decimal point matters much in terms of performance, but seeing it is very useful to realize that your shifting is a bit too aggressive.
-
(KingOfIce) DELETED by KingOfIce
talking about minor and major damages, any chances to avoid cosmetic repairs to save time? like only repair suspensions and engine or solo suspensions.
Quote from Scawen :
One bad shift affects it quite a lot, so I think one decimal place is enough. Maybe the straight percentage with no decimal place would be OK?

It's perfect like you have made it, the decimal is usefull for competitive drivers.

Quote from Scawen :
I was thinking the engine symbol could start grey then go yellow then red with more damage. Possibly if pit engine repair is implemented, the colours could line up with "minor damage" and "major damage".

Matching colours with the minor and major damamge would be a great idea.
Quote from Eclipsed :I'm wondering what does this percentage say? If I damage the engine to 90%,do I have 90% of power at each revs range?

It seems worse than that. Like if it says 50% you really have quite a lot less power than 50%.

Rough explanation: It's more related to the 'input power' ignoring the internal resistance of the engine which stays the same.

Quote from Kanade :Would it be possible to get clutch temp & engine damage as dashboard warning icons?
Would love to be able to use them both for mods and with SimHub.

I would like to do that but I can't add the extra warning light position into the car files while maintaining compatibility so that must be done at a later time, when new cars will be incompatible with old versions for some other reason.

Quote from Facu23 :talking about minor and major damages, any chances to avoid cosmetic repairs to save time? like only repair suspensions and engine or solo suspensions.

I know what you mean but some of the 'cosmetic' repairs do correspond with suspension repairs. Anyway I think it's all a bit complicated for now as I have to be getting on with other things.

I'm not sure if I'll do engine repair in pit stops at this time. Still considering it. It would increase the pressure to release a new full version. This current test patch is fully compatible which means it can hang around here for a while and we can add a feature every now and then.
EDIT by Scawen, removed IMG tags now that this urgent D5 bug is fixed in D6

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/681628340561379351/1064897326835052574/image.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/681628340561379351/1064898500929781860/image.png

Gears look broken, I can't change first gear as I want and sixth gear is the same as final drive ratio Uh-hu
also 1st gear change 3rd, 2nd change 4th ,3rd change 5th, 4th change 6th, 5th change 7th and 6th changes final drive ratio
incorrect engine health percentage
I'm pretty sure I've come across a bug with the Engine Health percentage.
When i look at my perctentage (on my own car), it says 93.7%. But for someone spectating, it shows 92.5%.
I have attached an .mpr if that helps.

We also tested to see if the damage was different if i was spectating the entire time, but it was the same result.
Attached images
GPC_0zAYEpdMM7af.png
GPC_j2Hq97bkRE0V.png
GPC_ZYDX278FcFy9.png
Attached files
kriss_0.1.mpr - 51.6 KB - 99 views
Quote from Rubie :Gears look broken, I can't change first gear as I want and sixth gear is the same as final drive ratio Uh-hu

Thanks, silly bug, fixed in D6.

Quote from kristofferandersen :I'm pretty sure I've come across a bug with the Engine Health percentage.

Not really a bug but the damage in the health packet is represented as a byte so there are only 256 values from 0 to 1.

So when viewed as a remote car, it is only an approximation.
-
(superlame) DELETED by Scawen : no longer needed (master server updated)
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : no longer needed (master server updated)
Seeing the engine damage displayed in server now - maybe this should not be public,but same as fuel - shown to others only when enabled? Or at least as tyres - show color only without value.
Tested D5 no issue and good to have engine status without external tool.
Quote from Eclipsed :Seeing the engine damage displayed in server now - maybe this should not be public,but same as fuel - shown to others only when enabled? Or at least as tyres - show color only without value.

definitely
-
(NENE87) DELETED by kristofferandersen : off-topic, post in improvement suggestions instead
-
(suomipoika1502) DELETED by kristofferandersen : off-topic, post in improvement suggestions instead
Quote from Eclipsed :Seeing the engine damage displayed in server now - maybe this should not be public,but same as fuel - shown to others only when enabled? Or at least as tyres - show color only without value.

I like the idea of only showing the colour to others.
It seems that most think the engine damage number should not be displayed for remote cars. That would be a simple change and consistent with the tyre temperatures.

What about the point at which it changes from yellow to red? While that is not very important yet, it would become more important if we do engine repairs in pit stop. In that case the yellow amount of damage could count as "minor damage" and the red would would count as "major damage" and take longer. So then it becomes important to set that value correctly (currently 95%).

Although I'm still not sure about implementing engine repair, it seems simple enough and for for sim racing purposes and longer races, it would be good to be able to fix the engine.

By the way, for anyone who is worried about me working on the test patch, do not worry, I'm working on the dev version. Pausing to do a few minor changes in the public version (which also go into the development version) isn't really a problem.
Quote from Scawen :
What about the point at which it changes from yellow to red? While that is not very important yet, it would become more important if we do engine repairs in pit stop. In that case the yellow amount of damage could count as "minor damage" and the red would would count as "major damage" and take longer. So then it becomes important to set that value correctly (currently 95%).

Although I'm still not sure about implementing engine repair, it seems simple enough and for for sim racing purposes and longer races, it would be good to be able to fix the engine.

By the way, for anyone who is worried about me working on the test patch, do not worry, I'm working on the dev version. Pausing to do a few minor changes in the public version (which also go into the development version) isn't really a problem.

I think for spectators / commentators of a race it would be good information on why someone is falling back, not sure if color-coding it would give away too much from a strategy point of view. But unless it's an endurance race I think having the severity displayed is not a disadvantage.

Regarding pit-stops, I think it's the same. Races long-enough to actually do pit-stops (refuelling, tires...) are usually a league thing. If you damage the engine during the typical 5 lap sprints it doesn't matter as the time loss with "limping on" is smaller than any kind of pit stop. In terms of longer races it would be nice to be able to fix "some engine damage" as it would keep the driver / team motivated to continue. You get a penalty, but still have some kind of chance on a decent result (this is a game afterall).
What would also be helpful (and that is for suspension damage as well) is a repair-time estimate in the F12 menu.
Quote from Scawen :What about the point at which it changes from yellow to red?

I think I asked this question a bit ambiguously so this part your answer isn't quite what I was getting at:

Quote from three_jump :I think for spectators / commentators of a race it would be good information on why someone is falling back, not sure if color-coding it would give away too much from a strategy point of view. But unless it's an endurance race I think having the severity displayed is not a disadvantage.

To be clear: I think the grey/yellow/red should be displayed remotely and can't do any harm, even if the health percentage is hidden.

My question is more about that 95% switch point between red and yellow. If engine damage repair is implemented then this value is a balancing issue, because it will switch between 6 seconds (minor damage) and 12 seconds (major damage).

Quote from three_jump :Regarding pit-stops, I think it's the same. Races long-enough to actually do pit-stops (refuelling, tires...) are usually a league thing. If you damage the engine during the typical 5 lap sprints it doesn't matter as the time loss with "limping on" is smaller than any kind of pit stop. In terms of longer races it would be nice to be able to fix "some engine damage" as it would keep the driver / team motivated to continue. You get a penalty, but still have some kind of chance on a decent result (this is a game afterall).
What would also be helpful (and that is for suspension damage as well) is a repair-time estimate in the F12 menu.

Thanks for the feedback. Any more views on allowing engine repairs would be welcome. I've looked in the code a bit more and it does look very simple to implement, and doesn't require an incompatible version.

EDIT: It's simple enough to do if no new options are added and engine repair is done along with other repairs according to the F12 setting:
Repair damage : [yes/no]
Ah, sorry.
I think it's a bit hard to judge, as a definitve value was not available previously. So I struggle a bit to understand what a 5% damage actually feels like / is in terms of performance drop off. So it's hard to know what a common noticable value would be on track.

As a first guess I think 95% should be fine. The threshold can still be adjusted on later patches / versions depending on more feedback anyway, so I don't think it's really an issue. Smile

EDIT:
Actually this might be worth considering as editable server option (change minor/major, and time) at a later point anyway, so leagues could set the realism themselvess.
I hope we can seperate engine damage repair from the other things. If I have 0.2% engine damage and I want to repair suspension, I don't want that 0.2% being fixed. But another box of yes/no might be more work.
My engine damage experience from past is that 0,47% of damage in UFR did cost us over a second per lap at KY3; similarly 0,8% damage in XRR at AS4 did cost me around 1 second per lap as well.

So I think 95% engine health (5% damage) is actually a massive damage and huge performance drop; it would be a critical damage already if there was such damage category beyond minor and major.
Quote from rik97 :I hope we can seperate engine damage repair from the other things.

I keep trying to say that is not on offer at this time.

The choices are: [edit: during pit stop]

1) No damage damage repair, as now

2) Engine damage repair, grouped along with MINOR DAMAGE and MAJOR DAMAGE
Yellow engine damage would cause MINOR DAMAGE repair (6 extra seconds if MINOR DAMAGE is not already being repaired)
Red engine damage would cause MAJOR DAMAGE repair (12 extra seconds if MAJOR DAMAGE is not already being repaired)

I hope it's clear now. There is no point discussing multiple options, new translation strings etc on this thread because I am not doing that. I'm talking about a few minutes work, not days.

The only questions are:

A) Option (1) or option (2) above?
B) What percentage to decide between yellow (minor) and red (major) engine damage?
I'd prefer option 2 - better to have engine damage accounted for than not.

I'm not familiar enough with engine damage amounts to have an input there, but presumably the thresholds between none/minor/major can be tweaked easily enough in the future, after the leagues have had some time to gather some experience of it.
Option 2 !
Option 2
I would also vote for option 2 now,but with intention in future bigger update seperating the engine repair from other repairs per F12 menu setting,while also adding repair time for engine repair.
Quote from Eclipsed :I would also vote for option 2 now,but with intention in future bigger update seperating the engine repair from other repairs per F12 menu setting,while also adding repair time for engine repair.

what he said.

Option 2
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG