The online racing simulator
Quote from evandroPRO123 :it is already possible

It is? I haven't found this attachment type.

But to go along with this. The ability to not render / use the generated wheel barrell and spokes. And in place use subobs for wheels.
Well as for me would be cool to get in dashboard settings extra setting "Turn off numbers/lines" wich olny lefts us olny with needle
It may be possible to limit the vehicle's maximum and minimum height via the "allow" tab in the vehicle editor, in the same way that we have the option to limit tire pressure.
Probably not the right topic to post this, but I have a problem with the editor when it comes to suspension.

We can precisely set how far the suspension can compress using the "Max up" slider, but we can't really do that when it comes to how far the suspension can extend. Theoretically we can do it by adjusting the "Lowest wheel height" slider, but the problem is we also use that slider to set the desired ride height once we set the suspension to desired stiffness. So the stiffness, ride height and max suspension extension can't be set to precise values without sacrificing one of them.

The car I'm working on has soft suspension and I find it impossible to make it the way it should be. As I lower the stiffness of the springs the ride hide goes lower and lower, so I have to raise the "Lowest wheel height" to compensate. Because of that I end up with 36cm of suspension travel instead of desired 26cm Frown I can't set the control arms to the desired length because they are too short for this much suspension travel, the suspension isn't supposed to extend as far as it does.

Would it be possible to add a "Max down" slider? Or maybe you have some other idea how to solve this issue?
I join this problem. Sometimes it is extremely inconvenient, it is impossible to set an extremely accurate suspension stroke, which would be a benchmark regardless of the adjustment in the game itself in the garage. At the very beginning of the appearance of LFS Editor, I made mistakes many times and did not attach the true meaning of this slider. This setting is inconvenient in this form. It would be great if you could add an adjustment slider, which is located in the garage of the LFS. So we can see how the players will be able to customize their car, and in what position the car will be located. Now it looks like a "lottery"
"Max down" is double the motion range of the first default setup, IIRC from tinkering. You can set a different value in other default sets, but when the user makes their own setup, the motion range is based on the first set.

IE, if your first set is a low-rider but your second set is really high, when someone has the 2nd set selected and clicks 'new setup', the user setup it makes will be the values from the 2nd set apart from the motion range, which will be calculated from the 1st set. (Again, only IIRC! It's been a while.)

Someone, somewhere, suggested using the first setup as a base to define that motion range. I haven't got to using that method yet myself, but it seems like a good idea.
Quote from Amynue :Probably not the right topic to post this, but I have a problem with the editor when it comes to suspension.

We can precisely set how far the suspension can compress using the "Max up" slider, but we can't really do that when it comes to how far the suspension can extend. Theoretically we can do it by adjusting the "Lowest wheel height" slider, but the problem is we also use that slider to set the desired ride height once we set the suspension to desired stiffness. So the stiffness, ride height and max suspension extension can't be set to precise values without sacrificing one of them.

I agree and there's no way around it at the moment.

How it works in LFS is you can set the bump stop at the top of the suspension's motion (as you know, with the "Max up" slider in the "Suspension" tab at top left) but the lower stop is set by "Lowest wheel height" in the "Suspension tab at the bottom of the screen.

But how it is coded at the moment, that lower stop then coincides with the maximum spring extension, so there is no force from the spring at that point. This has simply been the case since the early days of LFS, there is no code for a maximum extension, separate from the point where the spring itself is fully extended.

This is a reasonable approximation for many vehicles, but I can understand that it doesn't work for some, and you want the spring to be already compressed to some extent when the suspension is at maximum extension. Or looked at another way, you want to set a maximum extension that stops the suspension moving too far, even though the spring is still pushing at that maximum extension.

To change it to work as you want it requires another variable in the editor and saved in the vehicle files. An update is needed in the physics code which sets up and operates the suspension. It can be done but would require an incompatible version of LFS which I can't work on right now as I'm in the middle of the multithreading.

I also realise the "Max up" and "Lowest wheel height" are quite confusing. We need three variables to replace these two but they should also be less confusing and correspond better with a real vehicle.
Quote from Scawen :This is a reasonable approximation for many vehicles, but I can understand that it doesn't work for some

Yeah, it yields satisfying results most of the time. Vehicles with low spring rate relative to their weight are the ones most affected by this shortcoming - which unfortunately is the type of vehicle I'm trying to recreate.

Quote from Scawen :you want the spring to be already compressed to some extent when the suspension is at maximum extension. Or looked at another way, you want to set a maximum extension that stops the suspension moving too far, even though the spring is still pushing at that maximum extension.

That's how it is on most real cars, right? It's not like you put the car on a lift and springs fall out Smile That's why coil spring compressor tool is a thing. Usually it's the shock that dictates how far the suspension can extend.

Quote from Scawen :It can be done but would require an incompatible version of LFS which I can't work on right now as I'm in the middle of the multithreading.

That's unfortunate... I was hoping there would be some "quick fix" for this Frown I'll have to put this mod on hold for now.

Anyway, thank you for your comprehensive answer and I wish you good luck on your multithreading journey Smile
Please allow 110% parallel steering. Smile
also steering axis offset
I realize this is something that has likely already crossed the dev's minds and potentially takes a whole lot of coding, but a tire grip multiplier would come in very, very handy. In the future maybe even some control over the slip curve?

When creating historic cars especially, i encounter issues where say an R3 or R4 tire would have the grip i would want from the car. But obviously it never switches on, especially on light cars with big tires. A tire grip multiplier would allow me to pick a softer compound and change its grip coefficient.

Then again, who knows what the new tire model will bring in terms of tire parameters. Omg omg omg

EDIT: Just thought of another suggestion; an FFB force multiplier for the car within the editor context. Depending on suspension type, setup, the steering force differs a bit from car to car, which is how it should be. But there are some types of vehicles where this difference is very big, like for example karts. With the 250cc superkart i've made, i have to run the ffb force in game at around 40% to get the same amount of force out of the wheel as i would in other normal cars at 7-15%. It's about the same in other karts. A simple force multiplier that's assigned to the car would solve this issue.
I hate to ask this since you already put LFS modding officially, Sir Scawen, but is it possible in the future, we have option to put an option for brake wear / brake fading capabilities?

Also, I would like to have an option to make some limited setup, or even fixed setup for some road-going car, which if compared to some other simulator out there, they differs between race car and road going car by its capabilities of setting setups, that might be interesting if exist, so any road-going car could be more exciting to compete, imagine one make race from 1 model car, which only able to edit several setup, i.e. roll bar only, and so on

-------------------

I initially would include my wish to have brake squealling sound too, but I'm afraid it might be too complex, and became disadvantage for peasant spec to have processing that sound, so I will keep it until 2 eish above are became exist, thanks from Indonesia, Sir Scawen and team 😄
I hope to see s_clock with transparent background so it can be used as overlay, would help to make new custom gauge clusters which is something my current WIP mod would greatly appreciate

Quote from HighSpeedGarage :It would be cool to have S_CLOCK_ALP - a texture that performs all the functions of S_CLOCK, but does not have a black background. In this case, making dashboards would be much more convenient and they would turn out much more beautiful.

Quote from Buksikutya77 :I hope to see s_clock with transparent background so it can be used as overlay, would help to make new custom gauge clusters which is something my current WIP mod would greatly appreciate

I'm updating notes at the moment. I like the idea of transparent clocks. It would be at some time when we can release an incompatible version, and it would only be in the new development version so I can avoid the ongoing nightmare of writing and debugging the code twice (once for the existing public D3D9 system and once for the new D3D11 system). So this is for the future.

The existing clocks come with preset needle and text colour (on the black clocks, needle and text colour can be set by the user). I suppose the alpha version might be on a dark or light background so the mod creator needs to be able to set the needle and text colours?
Quote from Scawen :I'm updating notes at the moment. I like the idea of transparent clocks. It would be at some time when we can release an incompatible version, and it would only be in the new development version so I can avoid the ongoing nightmare of writing and debugging the code twice (once for the existing public D3D9 system and once for the new D3D11 system). So this is for the future.

The existing clocks come with preset needle and text colour (on the black clocks, needle and text colour can be set by the user). I suppose the alpha version might be on a dark or light background so the mod creator needs to be able to set the needle and text colours?

I see it like this.

For calibration purposes, you have the same clocks, just without background. By calibration I mean, if we want to put custom .PNG texture for a dashboard, or 3D Modeled dashboard ( For example Rubie's mods, or "BUMER 7" Mod) We have to adjust the arrow to match the KMH ( S_clock one to the 3D modeled/.PNG )

Edit: Or another way making the arrow accurate to the 3D Dashboard / PNG numbers

After the calibration, we should be able to Remove the s_clock numbers, so only the arrow will be left.

By doing this, we could have more precise arrow, because right now on some mods with 3D Dashboard, the arrow is pretty thiccccccc Tongue This is because we have to stretch the S_clock mapping a lot, to hide the S_CLOCK numbers, so only the arrow will be left visible.

Example is Flame CZE's "Valuta V8"
To me that seems like another option for s_clocks_alp:

- show numbers (no/yes)
- show markings (no/yes)
- needle colour
- text colour
Transparent s_clock would be great, thank you Scawen. Smile

@Buksikutya77, it is gonna be a nice mod, I'm playing it right now in BeamNG. Smile
Quote from Scawen :To me that seems like another option for s_clocks_alp:

- show numbers (no/yes)
- show markings (no/yes)
- needle colour
- text colour

The more customizability we can get the better. Also it would be nice to extend the speedo with a slider by percentage or something. So if my car has a top speed of 180km/h I can set the speedo to scale to 200 even tho it can't reach it. Or it changes by final gear ratio. Another annoying thing i had is Shine type. It would be nice to allow a custom one so it wouldn't require playing with the texture alpha value. Presets are nice, I like them, but there's always that one off where it's frustrating, so if we could have a custom value option where it asks to input a value (let's say Metal is currently 90% but I want 70%). Also some other gauge options would be nice such as odometer, compass maybe, and other stuff that's data the game always has on hand and could display. I'm sure many people would love to play around with these things.
-
(Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE

- show numbers (no/yes)
- show markings (no/yes)
- needle colour
- text colour

Clock texture with alpha channel is a great improvement for mods, choose the color of numbers and arrows as also is a great feature.

If it can be done in a short time, then i would like to choose from multiple fonts. In some cases to create a realistic replica, you need bold numbers in s_clock texture, sometimes italic, sometimes a special font, and in idial so that you can choose it yourself from installed in windows if it possible.

For example now i making Nissan 400Z GT4 replica, in race dashboard there a bold nubers, and i cant recreate that.. and if possible I would like to use more than one type s_clock texture because I still have analog gauge that I would like to recreate.

By the way, the new racing dashboards have color screens, and for throttle pressure there is usually a fill-in Circle or half-circle or straight line. And s_clock_formula kinda have it, but it does not bend into a straight line or into a semicircle, but into some intermediate states. And It would be cool to have it multicolors. But same time I would prefer the release of new graphics and physics as soon as possible Big grin
Attached images
0.1.png
3859995.jpg
1.png
0.png
0.2.png
0.3.png
Thanks. Yeah, dash updates are for later, not to be implemented into the 'old' version. I was just making some notes, to put lower down under the more urgent notes.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks. Yeah, dash updates are for later, not to be implemented into the 'old' version. I was just making some notes, to put lower down under the more urgent notes.

just for the sidenotes: maybe customizable color for rpm/ tc / shift lights? and the possibility to add turn signals and headlights indicators on s_clock_f3/f1
Would be cool if we had a check engine light option in clocks, it would turn on when engine damage occurs
Hi, can you create a way to make the engine easier?
For example:
Torque...Nm @...rpm
Power...kw @...rpm
Quote from NENE87 :Hi, can you create a way to make the engine easier?
For example:
Torque...Nm @...rpm
Power...kw @...rpm

The torque and power values are not just two numbers but dynamic curves, so there are infinite number of possible curves that have a given torque and power at a specific RPM. An alternative way would be to have a lookup table mapping RPM to torque values, but it is a completely different approach and it’s probably not a simple change.

- show numbers (no/yes)
- show markings (no/yes)
- needle colour
- text colour

Bingo! Been in my wish list for years. Finally i can scratch it out..Thumbs up

P.S.
We can't use digital (formula) and analogue gauges at same time at the moment. Would be nice to have one adjustable sheet with many options to use multiple variations at same mod.
-
(Snoop.DriftEra) DELETED by Snoop.DriftEra : Confused this thread with that thread: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/2041120#post2041120

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG