The online racing simulator
Scawen's new style of progress reports
(102 posts, closed, started )
Nice reading as always. Night looks thrilling, but days and shadows are much greater now. It will be great to race that with new tyres! And track temperature changing (I am just wishing, I have no clue).
Merry christmas all!
Sadly, reports now appear much less frequently. If it used to be once a week, scheduled on a daily basis. Now it's once every few months. I understand that scawen is also working on another test patch with minor fixes, and LFS Editor.
In theory, LFS Editor can be updated endlessly until it becomes similar to Blender or 3D Max and then surpass them. But even without that we can work in it. But shouldn't the main version (with physics and graphics) be the priority of development?

I don't know exactly what's really going on, but from the outside it looks like progress on tire physics isn't happening at this time. I understand that this is not an easy thing to do.
As I understand the topic of multitrading, 1khz physics, graphics and track updates are pretty much done, and it looks like all that's left is the physics of the tires. And if tire physics is at a standstill, maybe it would be better to release a test patch with current version of tire physics what is there to collect feedback from players who will compare the current physics to the new physics. And maybe this can somehow help further development and release a full-fledged update.

Its possible that im wrong and is already progress in the physics of tires that we do not yet know about and we needed only to wait.

I do not make complaints to anyone, I understand that the game is working only two people. Just im joke on April Fool's Day for the 3rd year with same joke in my social networking group dedicated to Lfs (with 6k subs), that the new update with graphics and physics is already out. And many believe me. Third year in a row. And it's kinda sad.
I agree,best would be to release the updated game whitout tyre physics,as it seems like it never be completed
I doubt this is as easy as it sounds. Scawen has stated multiple times, that his dev version and the public lfs version have drifted apart quite a lot. I doubt he want's to re-implement the old tire code and open another can of worms to make that work when the other option is working on the newer physics and getting those ready. In hindsight some other approach would probably have been better, but I doubt that he expected to work on that aspect of the physics/game on and off for a decade.

Some update would be nice, but I don't expect it. We all know by now where this is heading. If something big happens you'll get some kind of notification and until then you can do something else (like taking part in leagues Wink)
Quote from three_jump :I doubt this is as easy as it sounds. Scawen has stated multiple times, that his dev version and the public lfs version have drifted apart quite a lot. I doubt he want's to re-implement the old tire code and open another can of worms to make that work when the other option is working on the newer physics and getting those ready. In hindsight some other approach would probably have been better, but I doubt that he expected to work on that aspect of the physics/game on and off for a decade.

Some update would be nice, but I don't expect it. We all know by now where this is heading. If something big happens you'll get some kind of notification and until then you can do something else (like taking part in leagues Wink)

You probably don't understand what I mean. Skawen said, about two-tree years ago, that the tire version under development can already be raced, but it still needs to be worked on, and Skawen is working on it now. But looks like it's as if something is preventing that. And maybe some testing from players and getting feedback might give some ideas and will help in the development.
All I suggest is to publish the current under development version as a test patch (or test version if it need to be installed from scratch) and work with it from there. As far as I understand, it doesn't require to re-implement old tire code or somethink like that.
I'm working on it. Progress is not stalled.

I did spend a lot of time last month on test patch and editor updates, but that's not my focus now. I won't go into all the reasons why that happened, but there was an important update, then I saw the E-Challenge, saw something that could be improved there, thought of a few other useful improvements, one thing lead to another...

Not a problem, that's all good. The updates were significant and important.

The idea of the progress reports wasn't really "this is what I will do forever". It was an insight into the development process, and I went into extreme detail, maybe even too personal, so people could really understand what being a programmer is about.

Tyre physics doesn't go the way multithreading goes. For me, it's not really suitable for rapid progress reports. There's a lot of experimentation and testing, research and hard thinking.

However much you want the new version released, multiply that by 100 (rough estimate) and that's how much I want it released. The new version is what I work on and think about for many hours every day. All I can really say at this point is don't worry, I'm on it. Thumbs up
Quote from Scawen : All I can really say at this point is don't worry, I'm on it. Thumbs up

I'm glad to hear thatThumbs up
Excellent it is like in Pulp Fiction when they call Wolf to solve problems!

Edit:
https://youtu.be/ojTKkfgvwvU
The Progress Report has shown me personally how complex and extremely difficult software development is.

I admit I really understood very little about it...but it's always very gratifying that your efforts just seem endless and tireless. Man, I didn't even really understand how to really configure and use the changes in the TestPatch. I only really learned one thing. Go play and let the man do his job. Even if some developments seem strangely unnecessary to me, I now know that you always have better arguments and reasons why things happen the way they do.

I'm still happy to see a development report after all these years. A wonderful tranquilizer. Especially if I don't understand a real word....Big grin
Quote from Xenix74 :The Progress Report has shown me personally how complex and extremely difficult software development is.

Exactly! I have so much respect for game developers. I've done some myself and its so much more than just writing a little code snippet.
First graphics progress about new lightning and stuff was in 2018... soon 5y ago and yet no public version Frown
Quote from Viperakecske :First graphics progress about new lightning and stuff was in 2018... soon 5y ago and yet no public version Frown

So, what is your point?
If you don't like it here, you are free to leave.
Apparantly you did something wrong in the past and are proud to show that in your profile picture.
You have a new account and are still b*tching about the game at every possible moment.
Be pleased with you have and enjoy that or go and do something else and maybe check in once or twice a year.
Scawen only wants to deliver things at the highest quality possible and has proven that over and over again.
Let the guy do what he does best and at some point another gem comes out of the back.
Quote from Yisc[NL :;2043291"]So, what is your point?
If you don't like it here, you are free to leave.
Apparantly you did something wrong in the past and are proud to show that in your profile picture.
You have a new account and are still b*tching about the game at every possible moment.
Be pleased with you have and enjoy that or go and do something else and maybe check in once or twice a year.
Scawen only wants to deliver things at the highest quality possible and has proven that over and over again.
Let the guy do what he does best and at some point another gem comes out of the back.

Woah,why the sudden insult,i dont know you,you dont know me

Im not bitching around,its just sad

60k total km in 18years but over 1600 comment...please Na-na
calm, viper cake
He mostly posts about Insim coding/support like LFS_Lapper, it is helpful.
Update this year?
Sad
Yeah yeah but who knows when... i am sad
#73 - URUQ
Quote from Viperakecske :Yeah yeah but who knows when... i am sad

Dont be sad Vipera Skate please
Attached images
Gabor winner.jpg
I made progress report on my very good game. You can read that instead. Nod

Let's compare. Uhmm
map editor
Live For Speed: no