The online racing simulator
LFS Modeller Suggestions (3D object modeller only)
EDIT by Scawen:

This thread is for suggestions regarding the LFS object modeller only. That is, the editor you see if you click "Modeller" or you press E or "edit model" when you are in the vehicle editor. The modeller is about points, triangles, mappings and the tools you use to create, manipulate and texture the object.

Please DO NOT post suggestions for the VEHICLE EDITOR, or the mods system in general, in this thread.
If you have suggestions for the vehicle editor, please post them in Vehicle Editor Suggestions

There is also another thread for the mods system, such as how it appears in game and on the website.
If you have suggestions for the mods system OUTSIDE editors, please post them in Mods System Suggestions

Original post by Latvian Video:

The ability to change the camera clipping distance would be nice, right now I am trying to zoom in closer, so I can click the tiny tris easier, but it keeps clipping if I zoom in any more
Quote from Latvian Video :The ability to change the camera clipping distance would be nice, right now I am trying to zoom in closer, so I can click the tiny tris easier, but it keeps clipping if I zoom in any more

I know this isn't really the answer to your question, but I think in this case I could recommend having an extra point in the middle of the circle. So all the green triangles would be from two of the outer points and meeting in the middle in a radial formation. Such tiny thin triangles are best avoided if possible.
Indirectly related to mods suggestion for future improvementThumbs up It would be great to move and rotate view in LFS Editor by means of 3Dconnection SpaceMouse, which is already recognized by LFS and displays correct device axes position.
Spoiler - click to reveal
Attached images
3dc.jpg
I suppose it has been said a ton of times but I suggest again: exporting mesh as obj.

I would love to be able to modify existing cars on Blender and reimport them.
This one just came to my mind.

What about using OBJ materials to create dummy mappings.
And the same thing for importing LFS models (saved mappings)

Then also have existing mappings of the object you're overriding being inserted to the mapping slots of the object you import.
Quote from Kanade :
I would love to be able to modify existing cars on Blender and reimport them.

I suppose that won't be allowed because it would allow to steal models from LFS.
Quote from Scawen :But, about that bevel function, as I understand you are experienced in Blender and LFS editor, could I ask you to describe how you think a bevel function could work in LFS? Can you imagine an interface that would work for it, given that we don't have an edge selection system?

If you have an idea for that or a way to point me in the right direction, please post it in the suggestions thread:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95716-Mods-System-Suggestions

I might go through that thread at some point and separate it into editor suggestions and mods system suggestions.

I'm going to chew on this tonight and make a post in there tomorrow. There may not be an edge system in lfs modeler but can there be detection "added in" based on the same logic the light uses when you seperate groups?

Say you create an orange line along the seperation of 2 groups, could the editor understand that you are trying to radius or chamfer that edge? Perhaps when you pull the orange line (like you're extruding) the editor would create another 2 sets of connected tris and points like an extrusion and "bend" them around the original "edge" equilaterally in distance and angle.
Delete the import limiter of 35k. But add limiter that the sre models need to be under 35k (i mean import model with example 42k vertices and edit it in lfse to get it down to 35k)
LFS Modeller displayed point coordinates accuracy is three decimal places (mm), but in fact points coordinates are more accurate and, for example, points with a difference of 0.1 mm are not automatically fused. Therefore, please increase displayed coordinate accuracy.
-Selecting points by selecting triangles, so if I wanna work with one object on car, I select all triangles of entire object, press some keybind and it shows me only points on this object.

-Making own dashboards, or combine at least two or more standard LFS dashes.

-Ability to add new faces, or at least add group points to other points opposite. I know you can do it by yourself, but it saves a lot of time.

-Fixing metal texture 90%. Anytime when I trying to add more smooth on it, it looks normal in editor, but in game it always reflects something and became black.

-Working mirror textures on moving objects e.g. mirrors on steering wheel of bike.

-Resizing objects, subobjects etc with slider to see how it change or add buttons “+” “-“, doing it with number of multiply not comfortable, not necessary but would be great.
Thank you for the suggestions. Although I just don't have time to do these at the moment (you know why) it is a thread for me to come and look at when I do have time.

Quote from Ho4Hou_KoT :-Selecting points by selecting triangles, so if I wanna work with one object on car, I select all triangles of entire object, press some keybind and it shows me only points on this object.

That sounds like the button "select selection's points" which is available in tri mode. Is that what you are looking for?

Quote from Ho4Hou_KoT :-Ability to add new faces, or at least add group points to other points opposite. I know you can do it by yourself, but it saves a lot of time.

I am not sure what you mean, please can you describe in more detail? There is a button "build unmirrored" for the selected triangles, but I guess this is not what you mean.

I understand your other requests/suggestions but thought I would ask about these. Thanks.
Quote from Ho4Hou_KoT :

-Fixing metal texture 90%. Anytime when I trying to add more smooth on it, it looks normal in editor, but in game it always reflects something and became black.

If you are talking about "Roughness" , it is not supported YET. It will be with the new update.
Quote from Scawen :
That sounds like the button "select selection's points" which is available in tri mode. Is that what you are looking for?

-Yeah, thats what I meant, never saw this button before, maybe because its grey and I didn't pay attention.
Quote from Scawen :
I am not sure what you mean, please can you describe in more detail? There is a button "build unmirrored" for the selected triangles, but I guess this is not what you mean.

-No I mean make new face, bend, curve. For example I have square with 6 points (3 on edges), but I wanna bend it in the middle, so I duplicate 3 points from one side, place it in the middle, and need to rebuild all my triangles to connect all these points.

So the suggestion is the ability to connect group of points (3 on one side) to another 3(in the middle) dont do it manually.
Actually there is a way to do this quite quickly, at least for your example.

1) In "build" mode select two points (in your example one side to the other, left to right or right to left). You see a blob in the middle - click it to "divide edge".

2) Do the same for the other two "left to right" lines. Now you have your 9 points that you want, only some of the triangles aren't built correctly.

3) Use "rotate triangles" to rotate two of the triangle pairs that are wrong. Rotate triangle is: (a) select one triangle then (b) SHIFT+click the neighboring triangle.

Let me know if my explanation doesn't make sense.
Quote from Scawen :Actually there is a way to do this quite quickly, at least for your example.

1) In "build" mode select two points (in your example one side to the other, left to right or right to left). You see a blob in the middle - click it to "divide edge".

2) Do the same for the other two "left to right" lines. Now you have your 9 points that you want, only some of the triangles aren't built correctly.

3) Use "rotate triangles" to rotate two of the triangle pairs that are wrong. Rotate triangle is: (a) select one triangle then (b) SHIFT+click the neighboring triangle.

Let me know if my explanation doesn't make sense.

Yeah it makes sense, but a little confused about triangles that should be rotated. I mean understand how it really works in this way, but I did it, thanks.
Ah well, the logic of "triangle rotate" is:

- two triangles share an edge
- these two triangles form a quadrilateral
- that quadrilateral is "divided" by that shared edge
- triangle "rotate" replaces the 2 triangles with 2 new ones
- these 2 form the same quadrilateral but divided by the other diagonal

I'm not sure if this logic description helps or is even more confusing. Big grin
In short, if two triangles share an edge, that shared edge can be "rotated".
Quote from Scawen :Ah well, the logic of "triangle rotate" is:

- two triangles share an edge
- these two triangles form a quadrilateral
- that quadrilateral is "divided" by that shared edge
- triangle "rotate" replaces the 2 triangles with 2 new ones
- these 2 form the same quadrilateral but divided by the other diagonal

I'm not sure if this logic description helps or is even more confusing. Big grin
In short, if two triangles share an edge, that shared edge can be "rotated".

Big grin it's ok, more practice - more understanding.
Probably already mentioned, but a warning message would be nice when closing LFS Editor by the X. Mostly by mistake. Big grin
Quote from Evolution_R :Probably already mentioned, but a warning message would be nice when closing LFS Editor by the X. Mostly by mistake. Big grin

Massive +1 !!!
Why not let customize hotkeys like in Blender (see attachement), because that's pretty subjectiveSmile
Attached images
hotkeys.jpg
Because I'm looking at a quick update. Customisable keys not conflicting with other keys is a massive operation, more like a couple of weeks' work instead of half an hour.

But instead of making it up myself, I'm looking for a consensus of opinion, in case such a consensus exists. Smile
Could you create some way to select 2 subobjects and make a function to transform the 2 into just 1?

As if it were the "merge into main" function
same as hernicat, the function to merge subobjs. In adition to that, maybe the chance to name the subobjets? Many of us have multiple projects and can't remember which subobj is what. Just scrolling thru them and moving/cheking points is tedius

anyways, thanks @scawen for adding thee new shotcuts. the workflow has inproved a lot.
I see, a function to merge two subobjects would be helpful sometimes. In the current version you could merge them both into main then break off as a new subobject, but it's slow and prone to mistakes.

Quote from Facu23 :In adition to that, maybe the chance to name the subobjets? Many of us have multiple projects and can't remember which subobj is what. Just scrolling thru them and moving/cheking points is tedius

I understand that naming subobjects would be helpful at some point. I don't think it's possible in a quick update as it would make an incompatible file. Current public version could not read the object.

I just want to make sure you know, you can select a subobject, in subob mode, by CTRL+click on any triangle from that subobject.

Quote from Facu23 :anyways, thanks @scawen for adding thee new shotcuts. the workflow has inproved a lot.

Thanks, good to hear the updates are helpful.
Quote :I see, a function to merge two subobjects would be helpful sometimes. In the current version you could merge them both into main then break off as a new subobject, but it's slow and prone to mistakes.

or simply saving the subobjs, open them again as main and merge there. But its too much steps for something relativly simple. I would change the ''merge into main'' button to just merge. Then a submenu to select merge into main or merge to right, last one indicating the subobj you have in the right of the list. Idk if i explained myself well lol

Quote :I just want to make sure you know, you can select a subobject, in subob mode, by CTRL+click on any triangle from that subobject.

didn't know that. thank you

i understand the naming subobjs thing not working, i'm just too used to organizing layers in photoshop/flstudio by name Rofl but its not necesary atm.

P.S: any toughts on the extrude shortcut?

LFS Modeller Suggestions (3D object modeller only)
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG