The online racing simulator
Asymmetric uprights for double wishbone
I noticed something while trying to replace measurements i took from a real suspension in the LFS editor.

I dont know if this is a technical limitation of some sort to do with stability of the physics engine. Or if it simply is a feature that so far have not been needed.
Basically, currently you can only adjust 'half upright' which results in an even distribution of length above and below the hub line.

Many production cars with double wishbone suspension have a significantly longer upper portion.
I don't think there is an optimal way currently to replicate these suspensions

You could elongate the upper control arm but this results in a different camber curve.
You could also lower the upper and lower pivot points to compensate for the difference in hub height, but this results in a different roll center.

Would be a neat improvement to be able to adjust the upper and lower portion independently Smile
#2 - KD14
Interesting point, iv just tested it myself, never noticed that.
Do you know what are the reasons behind such design?
In the miatas for example the hub is in the same position relative to the lower arms, in your picture it looks like the engineers decided to raise the upper arms for some reason.
Quote from KD14 :Interesting point, iv just tested it myself, never noticed that.
Do you know what are the reasons behind such design?
In the miatas for example the hub is in the same position relative to the lower arms, in your picture it looks like the engineers decided to raise the upper arms for some reason.

Can't answer why they do it this way. It could be to get a certain camber curve, or for packaging reasons. But it is like this in many cars.

Some examples are:
Honda CRX, Civic EF, EG, EK
Toyota/Lexus IS200/IS300 Chaser JZX90, JZX100, JZX110
And most newer Audi Quattro models if not all.

Asymmetric uprights for double wishbone
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG