The online racing simulator
Would it be possible to have hybrid cars in LFS ?
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask a question, as we can now have electric cars in the LFS with this mods support, could there be an option to have hybrid cars in which we could connect the electric motor to the combustion engine, for example.

Example that is happening with Rally1 in the WRC, imagine trying to recreate a car of this genre in the LFS? 🤔

I'm asking this because now in the LFS we can have electric cars with the combustion engine, and there could be an opportunity to have both at the same time and we can have a way to connect one engine to the other, if that happens I think that LFS could be first SimRacing simulator to have this and once again LFS would be a pioneer and create history
#2 - gu3st
I was thinking allow mods to do the same thing that old cheats used to allow which was negative handbrake value for "boost".
There are many variants of hybrid drivetrains, some I think would be easier to implement, some - rather difficult.

Series hybrids would probably be the easiest to implement, since ICE is essentially just a battery charger in such cars (code would literally be just "if SoC <100%, increase battery charge and reduce fuel by 0.1% every X seconds until fuel drops to 0"), meanwhile more power-split hybrids, especially with CVT gearboxes, might be quite tricky.
I think it would work and be a little bit easier if the game would allow for different engine modes ( which it might and i'm just unaware), for example if you could adjust fuel maps, diff settings and in this case the electric motor regen, deployment etc similar to how you can adjust brake bias on certaint cars. Then, in theory, you should get the hybrid effect working nicely.
It's just that I really think it could be interesting.
if we could have hybrid cars and we could choose the engine we want to use and still use Hybrid power as with new WRCars Rally1
#6 - Ped7g
IIRC Scawen mentioned hybrids when introducing EV.

Something along "not yet", it's not supported by the physics engine at this moment and requires more work.

If you would magically pour infinite amount of Scawen's work onto LFS to jumpstart the development time and get "final LFS" version now, you would surely get also hybrids, must be on the roadmap, as hybrids are lately in all the major series (LeMans prototypes, F1, rally), while EV are more like curiosity in motorsport I guess? (maybe I'm biased Smile )
From what I remember hybrid powertrain is much harder to properly simulate than electric motor is (which has pretty simple power and torque curves). Also there probably wouldn't be even EV's in LFS if the E-Challenge championship hadn't exist.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG