The online racing simulator
BL gp / XFG need help with sector 1 !
Hi,
im practicing the BL gp / XFG for a long time and i cant get a good sector 1 time! my pb for the whole track is 1:34.590 and my sector 1 was 31.78! i saw the wr(31.13) and it means i have plenty of time to improve!
i tried AnalyzeForSpeed also and did not understand what wrong accept for his later braking
i've searched the forum and read somethings about trail braking, i didnt understand if its posibble to do with mouse\keyboard conf' and if maybe i'm already doing it.
i've attached the replay(lap 5) and an AnalyzeForSpeed pic.
hope you could help me,thanks.
Attached images
versus.JPG
Attached files
lamborghini8_BL1_XFG_13459.spr - 145 KB - 163 views
It looks like the other guy is taking a straighter line through the chicane and judging by how wide he went out of T1 is also probably getting on the gas sooner.
#3 - Jakg
Quote from lamborghini8 :Hi,
im practicing the BL gp / XFG for a long time and i cant get a good sector 1 time! my pb for the whole track is 1:34.590 and my sector 1 was 31.78! i saw the wr(31.13) and it means i have plenty of time to improve!
i tried AnalyzeForSpeed also and did not understand what wrong accept for his later braking
i've searched the forum and read somethings about trail braking, i didnt understand if its posibble to do with mouse\keyboard conf' and if maybe i'm already doing it.
i've attached the replay(lap 5) and an AnalyzeForSpeed pic.
hope you could help me,thanks.

are you using manual? flat shifting? engine braking? trial braking helps, but all these things give those little .1's that make the difference
-
(PartyBoyU) DELETED by PartyBoyU
Looks like your line through the chicane. And you take the corner tighter so can't get back on the gas as quick.
#5 - Tomi
everybody does trail braking without actually knowing what it is. What is important is the amount of this trail braking and where it is best applied :

Quote from http://virtualracersedge.com/trail_braking.htm :

Trail braking;

Trail braking (a.k.a. 'brake-turning', braking while turning toward the apex of a corner) is another learning curve for you to climb sooner or later. However, learn trail braking slowly; if you're used to road driving (where you're taught to finish braking before turning into a corner) then you might find it tricky to learn the extra delicacy demanded by trail braking. In PU, the trade-off between brake pressure and steering input is hard to judge when you can't feel the car turning and pitching through your body.

#6 - bal00
Three things:
-You're lacking about 3km/h at the end of the start/finish straight. This will cost you like 0.2-0.3 sec alone. Try to improve your exit out of the last corner.
-Turn in for T1: I can't really put my finger on it, but it seems like the car understeers quite a lot. Try releasing the brake a little bit as you approach the apex or if that's too difficult, use a tad more rear brake bias. Also, drop 2 gears at once as you hit the brakes for T1 and try to be a little more progressive with the inputs. Your entry doesn't look too smooth.
-In the chicane it's important to change direction quickly. If you're too slow with the steering, you'll run out of track towards the exit and will have to scrub speed. I know it's more difficult to do with mouse since there's no absolute positioning, so it'll take practice to find out how quickly you can go from steering right to steering left without getting the car into a slide. Basically your steering input has to match the weight transfer of the car.

Button clutch is worth a bit of time in the first two sectors, too.
first of all thanks for all the helpers.
I saw that when i'm taking the last turn better it does help the time so i'm working on that corner too.
I've also tried to approach t1 like the wr and i do get on the gas sooner but still his braking distance is smaller than mine and we are using the same cars setup!
about the direction changes i think i need to practice a bit more .
i usually dont use the cluch button, can it really help my times ? how ? changing up earlier ?
Quote from lamborghini8 :first of all thanks for all the helpers.
I saw that when i'm taking the last turn better it does help the time so i'm working on that corner too.
I've also tried to approach t1 like the wr and i do get on the gas sooner but still his braking distance is smaller than mine and we are using the same cars setup!
about the direction changes i think i need to practice a bit more .
i usually dont use the cluch button, can it really help my times ? how ? changing up earlier ?

it helps u getting more brake power from the engine, as u can shift down multiple gears in 1 step. so instead of doing 5>4>3>2, u can do 5>3>2, which allows u to brake a few meters later.
You also have to remember that the setup you are using was probably made by pbu FOR pbu. I don't use my own setups, but I've found a few that suit my driving style a lot better, thus allowing for better lap times. You might want to try look around and see if you like other peoples sets. And yes, button clutch is faster.
#10 - Jakg
Quote from RevengeR :it helps u getting more brake power from the engine, as u can shift down multiple gears in 1 step. so instead of doing 5>4>3>2, u can do 5>3>2, which allows u to brake a few meters later.

really? if this is true then thanks, didn't know this!
lol its only engine braking, thats basically what cruise control does to slow down a car going down a hill (and it wastes gas btw)
Quote from XCNuse :lol its only engine braking, thats basically what cruise control does to slow down a car going down a hill (and it wastes gas btw)

its seems i didnt use the correct expression, sorry for my english yea, engine brake would have been better
Don't over do it though, you skip too many gears and it'll lock up the wheels
It walks with this braking about it in order to as most faster stop braking, and car must slow down to curve without ur help. This can be use in all tracks. I cant brake very late without engine helps(4-2 ; 5-4-2 ; 5-3-2) problem is , if too fast change gears u burn ur engine. (Bad english)
[quote=bal00;200553]Three things:
-You're lacking about 3km/h at the end of the start/finish straight. This will cost you like 0.2-0.3 sec alone. Try to improve your exit out of the last corner.
quote]

This is a very important point. Don't underestimate how important the last corner is to lap time at this circuit. You have to get this corner spot on for a fast first sector and then again to get the good lap time. The reason is that it's taken quickly and the exit is steep uphill. This means that every 1mph you lose round this corner will cost you all the way down to turn one. And because the first part of the straight is uphill, you are on it for that much longer. Plus, the car is not accerating very quickly because you are in quite a high gear.

Good luck. btw 1:34.5 is a good time if you haven't managed to nail the final turn and sector 1.
Quote from tweaK_05 :Don't over do it though, you skip too many gears and it'll lock up the wheels

That is my biggest problem actually. A few guys have told me, i downshift
too much and upset my car's balance. Now i try to brake as much as i can
then downshift one gear at a time, instead of downshifting like i'm trying
to shoot down a plane or something. It does seem to brake better and
makes it much easier to keep the rear gripping as i turn-in. Once the rear
is hooked up in the turn, it's much easier to apply throttle sooner. ime.

Always think a few turns ahead, any turn before a long stretch affects
laptimes more since it will decide what speed you get. So that 1st chicane
and that last turn are the most important imo. Then it's T1, make sure you
are going through it thinking of the chicane exit.
Quote from tweaK_05 :Don't over do it though, you skip too many gears and it'll lock up the wheels

with doing 5>3>2 you wont lock your front wheels, although it depends on your brake settings as well. i suggest to use 590/70, its a really comfortable on all kind of tracks..
btw, on some tracks i often shift 5>2 in hotlap, like on as1, or i do use some insane brakes like 690/75 on as2
Quote from RevengeR :with doing 5>3>2 you wont lock your front wheels, although it depends on your brake settings as well. i suggest to use 590/70, its a really comfortable on all kind of tracks..
btw, on some tracks i often shift 5>2 in hotlap, like on as1, or i do use some insane brakes like 690/75 on as2

ofcourse the way you have your car setup will effect the amount of rear brake you can get away with. A setup that allows weight transfer to the front will not be able to cope with as much rear brake as one that has less weight transfer.

In addition, all tracks are different. You will need to adjust your brakes to suit the track. I always try and set the brakes up with as much rear as possible without them locking. This allows you to turn in while still on the brakes.

As for downchanging, it depends on the corner, the ratios and setup. The ideal moment to downchange is when you are able to do so without the wheels locking. Also, you will notice that downhill, in a low gear you won't be able to brake so much before the wheels lock. An excellent example of this is the braking area down to the hairpin at SO Long. Here you can hit the brakes hard at first but as soon as you are down to about 60mph you have to lift off the brakes slightly to stop the wheels locking.
lock up the wheels - press acc when this happend
The set that I use for Bl gti allways locks up a slight bit into t1, even though it's not proper locked this still loses you time unless you fix it by applying a little throttle.

When ur going down to 3rd and 2nd try tapping the throttle ever so slightly and the revs go up higher from the downshift and slow the car down quicker and stops the chance of locking up.

Btw, in the last corner, if you are just rolling through then try tapping the brake and then accellorating through, gies you better corner speed and much better exit.

In the 1st sector once your on the throttle don't let go, think of titanic, if you do you lose a ton of time so make sure your line allows you to have full throttle before the apex.

Good luck.
again thanks for all the helpers.

the last corner
i started to take that corner more seriously and now i get to top speed of 165 before t1 which is 1-2kmh improvment

braking for t1
i tried a few times using the cluch button and braking 5-3-2.i think its helping a bit but i'm not sure
"When ur going down to 3rd and 2nd try tapping the throttle ever so slightly and "
i cant do that because i dont have another finger to press the throttle button while pressing the brake + cluch
the brakes setting are 590\70
and btw the rear wheels are locked for almost all the way when i'm braking for t1

the chikane
i'm working on taking as strait line as possible .
i think i need to watch partyboyU's lap a few more times and just practice on that.
I know for the previous STCC race (TBO/SO2) The FXO and XRT had to normal brake after the long straight, whereas the RB4 had lethal engine braking (100 Meters, 5th to second) and I found that locking the wheels was actually faster.
finally a new pb! 1:34.09! and sector 1 - 31.41 still have some tenth to improve but its already looking much better.
Attached files
lamborghini8_BL1_XFG_13409.spr - 210.8 KB - 149 views

BL gp / XFG need help with sector 1 !
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG