The online racing simulator
2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W205)

This will be my first attempt at modelling a car model. It won't be nowhere near perfect or anything, but I will try. Thumbs up

If someone is interested, I'm following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPvxIrobFE

I will not try to match 100% same body shape or characteristics.
It will be my version of the C-Class, rather than trying to replicate it.
Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
#2 - lfsrm
Nice, try to keep it as close as possible to the original car, it might be frustrating in the beginning but it is all positive experience for future projects, with time and practice you will become more comfortable with your topology planning, I think it's the hardest part in the learning process since any badly placed N-gon (which I don't recommend to use) or tris will become instantly visible in the end result (shiny surfaces doesn't help either).

You can definitely use subdivision in game modeling, but since LFS tris budget isn't very high it will take you some time to optimize your model directly from a higher resolution mesh. For future reference, what I recommend is to use the shrinkwrap modifier in combination with the snap to surface tool on a non detailed guide that only retain the general shapes :

It's a little bit advanced for a beginner, but it is something worth knowing if you want to have the best result.
Attached images
Capture d’écran 2022-07-08 180827.jpg
Thank you! I will keep this in mind, but seeing this high poly body - is it better to have the full body shape like this and then start adding (cutting) parts like windows, doors etc.?

Also, I was thinking about making it somewhat good looking without subdivision and then just add level 1, but I'm not so sure anymore. Big grin
Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
#4 - lfsrm
Quote from Evolution_R :Thank you! I will keep this in mind, but seeing this high poly body - is it better to have the full body shape like this and then start adding (cutting) parts like windows, doors etc.?

Yes you can still do that of course, the whole shrinkwrap workflow is especially useful when the mesh density increases (which is inevitable when you want to reach a certain level of details), what you want when you model a car is to not mess up the surface flow when adding details, which is harder to achieve without any guide, the more vertices you have the more harder for you to manually keep every surfaces as clean as possible, for eg :

I just added a bunch of details on a surface

but now I'm struggling to keep them follow the car shape, because simply there is too many vertices and it will take forever to position them perfectly

as you might noticed the surface doesn't have a proper flow, but if I had a guide and used the shrinkwrap modifier it wouldn't be an issue at all

This is the result when I apply the modifier

Quote from Evolution_R :Also, I was thinking about making it somewhat good looking without subdivision and then just add level 1, but I'm not so sure anymore. Big grin

This is what you should aim for for the time being.

For SubD modeling, try to avoid using triangles outside flat area, its algorithm doesn't handle it well especially near edges or holes, it's not an absolute rule but for good result this is what is considered good practice for organic surfaces (cars, planes, animals, human etc..).

Attached images
Capture d’écran 2022-07-08 214834.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-08 214751.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-08 214441.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-08 220946.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-08 220639.jpg
#6 - lfsrm
lfsrm, thank you for the useful information. Smile

ClasK_03, no, it's fine, I also noticed some things I do not like, so I've been searching for some other tutorials, thanks, will check this one and the topologyguides.com Smile
This first tutorial got me into a dead end... I do not like how it goes / bad alignment. I will start again, but following The Natural Art Freak tutorial, which is more precise. I need to think through this whole "thinking with quads" thing. Big grin
Also maybe it's a good idea to make some low poly models to practice a bit.

EDIT: I decided to finish the model the way I started (will not have perfectly aligned panels, a bit Tesla Big grin ), but for the next model I will do a better job. Big grin
#9 - lfsrm
First step is to find a workflow that you are confortable with, even if it's flawed at first but with time you will include various other or even your own techniques, and always keep an eye for additional informations (tutorials, documentations).

Just finish something damn it Big grin.

Edit : sometimes triangles are inevitable , just try to use as much quads as possible.
I've been modeling for the last 8+ hours. Big grin
Topology is all over the place, but I will fix as much as I can... Schwitz
Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Nice! Thumbs up
Looks nice
As I see workflow:
1 make shape (no mouldings and gaps)
2 make sure general shape is ok
3 apply subdivision
4 make gaps and mouldings by offset edge slide
Gaps and mouldings in low-poly mesh are:
5 hindrance to shape correction
6 enemy of smooth shape transition (not visible on your screenshots because there is no matcap)
Am I wrong?
Egor K, I think you are right, I did a mistake making the holes before finishing the whole shape of the car, but still processing what and how.

EDIT: Some progress on the rear end.
Attached images
unknown.png
Great job! Thanks @ClasK_03 for the tips about topology
Quote from NENE87 :Great job!

Thanks... I'm trying hard to make it somewhat good looking with my noob skills. Big grin

Some progress on the rims - I followed this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVHNZmXyKtY

Wanted different rims (the last attached picture), but I've managed to make these by myself... so I edited them a little (not 100% the same as from the tutorial). Maybe after I release the mod I will try again to model the rims I want, but using different approach.
Attached images
rim1.png
rim2.png
1.png
2.png
3.png
rims-43-amg-19-inch-rim-set-c-class-205-5-double-s-20113-xl.jpg
see Big grin, it's not that hard!

Looks cool, keep up the good work.
Quote from lfsrm :Looks cool, keep up the good work.

A little late response, but still thanks. Smile

I'm returning to it and will try to finish it this time. Big grin
Attached images
int.jpg
I think I can imagine already this night ride cruising on South City (when they finish that LFS update) and smell the Mercedes perfume ( like the lion in their commercial).
Seriously now, thumps up from me and keep going.
Quote from ivo_drifta :Seriously now, thumps up from me and keep going.

Thank you. I cannot wait the updated South City too...

Some progress on the interior (It's more fictional than following the real car).
Attached images
d.jpg
More progress on the doors and seats:
Attached images
Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg
I modeled a new rims (still not ideal, but I'm getting more confident) based on the original rims and also improved the main body mesh. Smile

Followed this tutorial for the rims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stcMvCfTr_g
Attached images
Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled3.jpg
rims-43-amg-19-inch-rim-set-c-class-205-5-double-s-20113-xl.jpg
Exported it to LFS, but didn't like the results... mostly the proportions are wrong and now I go back to blender to try to fix it. Smile
Attached images
image (1).png
image.png
Updated the shape. It's a bit more dynamic.
Attached images
2.jpg
1.jpg
I think now it is a better representation of what I love in C-Class. I feel bad for the delay... but it's for the best.
Attached images
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W205)
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG