The online racing simulator
How did you discover LFS?
(118 posts, started )
saw it on giga-tv, as a game-presentation. after that downloaded the demo...
still playing it...
still being slow....

(S1, that is...)
PC Games. A small preview and a early demo version of S1 was on the CD. LFS was the reason to leave SCGT.
I used to drive the Papy NASCAR games with keyboard (sucked at it too). I was on BHMotorsports lookin' for setups and cars when I saw the demo. I downloaded it, tried it out, thought it was only ok (remember, keyboard), and out it away. In the meantime, I had purchased two AVB FFB wheels (one for me, one for Dad) so we could race Dirt Track Racing via LAN. Back in the 60's and 70's, he ran stock cars at one of the tracks in that game, so that was great fun. Once I got the wheel, I thought about firing up LFS again, and after driving it with a wheel, I was hooked. I drove on dial-up for a long time, until I got sick of timing out. This game made me get my Momo Force and ADSL. Damn this "game" for taking my personal life away!!! illepall
Quote from Mc21 :I think it was PC gamer. Back in the S1 days lol..

I was trying to remember if it was PC Gamer or Format, must of been teh Gamer then
Back in late 2002, when I used IRC a lot, a friend told me about it, told me that it was the best sim he had ever played, I wasn't so sure about that so I gave it a try and I fell in love with it, and now here I am.
On a forum a guy posted a video drifting and racing, so i thought it was cool so i tried the demo for 3 days, after that i bought my license and a logitech momo wheel, im still a newbie
I found it on BlackHole motorsports, when I was looking for stuff for CMR2 . Been a demo player for years, and eventually found a way to buy S2
I discovered LFS through a friend, markredden. As it turns out we are now in the same team, although we have been fairly inactive over the last couple of months.
#85 - Sage
Some guys on a forum that I'm a member of we're talking about it, so I decided to try it out. Finnanly decided that demo was too boring and that s2 would be amazing, so I bought s2, and I love it. That's how I got into it.
i remember when i played lfs the first time... it was the s1 demo, with xfg, and i was like drunk for a time lol when finally i knew control it well. i was playing the demo about 1 year when i bought it. i saw the demo in a forum of cars i think... maybe blackhole motorsports, i dont remember it well. when the s2 was released, i played the demo many time too... when finally i bought the s2 license, like the s1 . when i discovered this game, i never played more racing games, because all of them looks to me arcade and not realistic, except lfs... the best realistic racing simulator that i never saw :bowdown:.

greetings.
I discovered LFS demo at a friend in the summer of 2003 played it for 2 min and then as soon as I got home i dlded it and the rest is history
i found lfs on tucows way back when the 1st public versions were around

thanks tucows!!
Quote from NetDemon01 :I think I had played Racer first. Heard people talking about some LiveForSpeed game, and saw the forum section for it at RSC. One visit to the LFS site had me playing the demo, and then purchasing S1....

The same except for the S1 license, I bought S2, so I got in later. I kinda went back to racer a bit at the moment, it was time for a change, and in some way racer attracted me again.
I was reading some forum, don't remember which, thoroughly fed up with GPL. I hated the lack of immersion in GPL. The aural/visual/controller interface and I simply did not get along. Racing Legends was my only hope.

The conversation went something like this in the forum:

"RL is going to be the greatest ever."

"Sure it looks good, but is it a driving sim? Who's played it?"

"OK. But it looks like it will be the best ever..."

"Anyone can draw pretty pictures. Who's actually *tried* it? Can I try it? I think not."

"Yeah, but just imagine how beautiful the world would be if RL actually existed."

Then someone posted something like this:

"The West's got it all wrong. They're making all this hype but nothing to show. GPL did it right. They posted a video of a sim that was running, then shortly thereafter a demo that you could *actually* drive. Like these guys --->"

And there was a link to LFS. I was off GPL at the very first demo. None of my GPL friends would follow because the thing had virtually no features. But I was hooked.

I am soooo happy the thing has made it this far. It is, in my mind, the only option we have for racing from our office chairs.
#91 - ste_
I was moaning on some forum or other that there was no game that was like Gran Turismo, but online. Someone linked me to the S1 demo which I tried out, but it didn't really click for me; I think there were other games out which demanded more of my time, so I didn't give S1 too much attention.

Then later I somehow stumbled across the S2 demo (via another forum post) and gave it a proper try. Initially I only really liked it because of the online racing aspect, but then I got to know some of the regular racers and found that the community was big enough for many demo servers, but small and dedicated enough to give a good vibe out and so you could bump into the same people. Then I got to know what the game stood for and its grand plan, I became a proper LFS fanboy and signed away my £24 as soon as S2 was out.

Best. Decision. Ever.
one day i was at dads company, replacing the fired graphic artist (). actually, i had nothing to work on, so i jumped on bhmotorsports, and dled some demos. if im rite, there was only S1 that time. i liked it a lot, and told myself that i gotta dl this game as i get home. but i forgot it half a year later i found it again, and next nite i bought my s2 licence. then somehow i forgot it again and finally, in january i started playin it again, but demo only. my aim was to get under 1:32.00 w xfg on bl1 as time went by, i got under 1:32, and of course, wanted more. so i played only the demo, while ive had my s2 licence for like 7 months. i managed to get 1:31.76 in hl, then the new physics came, and shocked me. next day i moved to S2, and im still there
Quote from Dajmin :I used to play Motor City Online, and after that folded I started the long search for a good replacement. I stumbled upon LFS then and have never looked back!

I read BigBens review of the LFS demo on the MCO forums, and... well... what Djamin said, I never looked back.

PS: apart from a GPL affair
I'd beenGT1, GT2, GT3, drifting away (except GT2, handling REALLY sucked on that). Had bought a DFP in preparation for GT4. Had been on gtplanet.net for a while, someone there mentioned LFS (in fact, someone on there was called LiveForSpeed, but anyway) I downloaded the demo, and goddamn it was awesome.

Showed it to a friend. We played on the demo for ages. Then came some school holidays or something, i was at his, we'd been playing it, then just thought, we need to get S2. So we did. First thing we got in was the LX6 on South City. We were like, SO excited, it was hilarious. The sheer power of that thing, after being in an XRT for months.

Of course we just had to try to F08 then. Wow. Hehe.

Haven't been on so much recently, having the wheel in front of the monitor all the time bugs me, but every now and then I hop back in. Great game. Won't ever uninstall it
LFS is the first sim i've played, actually i didn't really know racing sims existed before finding LFS. Been strangely attracted to racing games all my life without having any real interest in motorsport, starting with Monza, Road Fighter and Rally on the Spectravideo, Outrun, Mario kart .. , Sega Rally, more recently V-Rally 3, TIR, Burnout and Forza on the XBox. Never looked for racing games on the pc, pc was just for playing Quake.

One day i was browsing Buzz, the original swedish 'linkdump' site. Clicked a link named Cool Car-simulator, saw the Force Dynamics videos and forgot about it. For some reason a few days later i dug up the link to the 301 videos again to find out more about "that game", googled, downloaded the demo and got hooked in about 10 minutes driving with the mouse.

I got completely addicted to XRT/BL1 so first investments were a DFP and parts for an FFShifter, with the new gear i also had to try every single sim/semi-sim i could find. Finally bought the S2 license ~4-5 months after finding the demo.

Also a bit funny how i'd probably not been able to play on my main pc at that time. Since i basically never played anything but Quake (1), my main PC still had an early Geforce 2, but i had just bought another one to build a MAME cabinet / home arcade. for the cabinet pc i had bought the cheapest over-the-counter card i could find (radeon 9550se) which as it turns out runs LFS just fine. Combine this with the fact that my main pc wasn't actually in my home at the time, and i was temporarily using the cabinet-to-be pc. Needless to say i got distracted from the cabinet building plans.
Having played GPL since 1998, I stumbled upon a thread about LFS in the RSC forums in August 2002, and I've been playing it since the first demo...
It was BH Motorsports site i think...?

Any issues regarding me then it's their fault
Pc Zone and/or PC Forum or something like that. They'd done a bit about LFS in the online section. Looked it up, had a go on the demo and viola! A rabbit from a hat and I wish I was a baller.

No, thats not right. Viola, here I am two years later spamming the LFS forums for all I'm worth.

But never fear . . new job, new money, new gaming rig. I'll soon be back terrorising Aston National with my purple (Not Pink!!) FZR . . .
Hard to remember, it`s such a long time back, now.

I know i tried an early demo - I was hunting cargame demos, to test. I found Lfs and tried it out - I had only keyboard then. Then some time after this, my brother bougth himselg a tiny pc, and he really was into car sims. I did my best to keep his computer running, and I saw the most of the sims out there. Tried a lot of them, but was never caugth by the action. It didn`t feel real, driving those "car games".

I then remembered the Lfs simulator demo, and searched for it, and installed it again. The devs must have improved it, because now it was a total different thing, to drive the cars around. I was a little impressed with the way the car handled. So I started up, driving a lot with keyboard, and then my brother bougth himself a new wheel. I borrowed the old, and really got out on the demo tracks.

I drove on and off for a few months, and then i decided to buy S1. I remembered that I was a little angry with the "gather points" to release next car, but I had to live with it, and I did so. I kept telling my brother about this Lfs and brougth him the demo. He didn`t like it, in the start. "This is to hard" he said, but he was used to the "cargames" - Now he is a believer and he drives the shit out of me. I can`t keep up with him, yet !

Then S2 came out and the rest is not so interesting.

I don`t know how old the early demoes are, but I feel like I saw the first for about 4 years ago ? Could that be ?
Roughly this time two years ago someone from digimods.co.uk suggested LFS. After joining several of their drifting sessions I moved to the racing scene, haven't looked back since.
A few days before I tried LFS, the same person suggested Racer, I expected LFS to be equal, or worse than that... boy was I wrong.

How did you discover LFS?
(118 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG