The online racing simulator
Wessex R69SP - A vintage sports prototype
For some stupid reason I decided to do an LFS car and now I only dream in triangles Big grin

The car I went for is a fictional late 60s style sports prototype, most closely related to the Porsches (particularly the 910/8) but also with influences from Ferraris, Alfas, etc.

I decided to do the mechanical development first so that I could wrap the body around the resulting suspension travel, etc – I think this was the best approach. I already had a 917K schematic I found online and so I measured the geometry from that and scaled it down to ninety percent for this slightly smaller car. Rear suspension has particularly short upper wishbones to fit in with the wide boxer engine and intakes, making for quite high camber gains.

The engine is a water-cooled 2.8 litre flat-8 making 374bhp @ 9300rpm. Weight is currently 644kg which makes for a fun power-to-weight ratio!

Slicks were not available in the 60s so this car has road normal or road super – I think authentic grip would be somewhere between the two.

Aero is very primitive and has a heavy rear bias which leads to aero understeer in the high speed corners if you put both ends on max. Downforce is limited to the extent that top speed is barely affected – think of it more like “aero trim”.

For the body I wanted a starting point as I had zero experience. I found a low-ish poly model "Porsche 910 Bergspyder" on Sketchfab with a CreativeCommons Attribution (BY) license which was close to the idea in my head. The model is by dagtholander so thanks to him, ref https://sketchfab.com/3d-model ... 2ba42477b9e73a4a6895104bc

There were a lot of adjustments needed to shape and proportions and I have made subtle changes all over and created many parts from scratch to hopefully make it distinct enough to be its own car.

I wanted to make more realistic lights because I think this lifts the realism and particularly with the rears you are looking at them a lot (start line, slip stream, braking manoeuvre, etc). I realised that modelling the internal reflector would not add that many triangles and would actually save on textures. Rear reflectors ended-up at 34 triangles and the bulbs are 8 each – I think it works pretty well.

There are still lots of details to improve but I hope to get version 1 uploaded soon!

Attached images
Suspension_Modelling.jpg
Light_Structure.jpg
Car_Shot_Option_3.jpg
It looks so amazing!! Big grin
#3 - BeNoM
Looks awesome, excited as!
Excellent work! i would love to test it, looks outstanding!
#5 - P V L
Shouldnt it be middle position for driver ?
Looks gorgeous!
wow, nice Smile
Quote from P V L :Shouldnt it be middle position for driver ?

Most of these cars were right-hand drive and many had two seats so I have made it switchable and also have allowed a passenger (which is a crazy idea but at least you have the option Smile).
oh yes ! it looks great and really curious to drive
Version 1 uploaded for review.

To do:-
- Interior detail improvements
- Exterior smoothing and tweaks
- LOD2 triangle reduction
- Skin support
- Setup improvements
... plus all those other things I will notice that will start to annoy me Big grin
Totally look forward to this one.
The model looks very tidy.
Whole car is really well done and properly setup. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Feels great to drive so far, looks great visually as well, great for VR.
congrats !
your car, in first version is very good Thumbs up
can we have the possibility to make skins ?
with some aéro and some body options, for various looks, your car become just perfect Cool
Uhmm when the slicks tyres hapened ? i think they exist in the 60's ... Tongue but i agree whith you, the drive is more fun whith road tyres
What a beast!!!

I really enjoy to drive it. Good work
Looks great, probably drives great but too much power for my feeble skills. But the driver steering animation doesn't quite line up with the wheel.
Thanks to all for the positive comments and constructive criticism. I will feed the ideas into version 2.
what a car, I like what you said about "never mastered" because that certainly rings true, you can't sleep driving this car, any too much sliding and it spits you out the corner sideways or backwards!
Great car, love the sound, it feels so old school!
Quote from M3THANOL :what a car, I like what you said about "never mastered" because that certainly rings true, you can't sleep driving this car, any too much sliding and it spits you out the corner sideways or backwards!
Great car, love the sound, it feels so old school!

Thanks M3THANOL - you said it perfectly as to what I wanted for this car but hopefully also really raceable because LFS should always be about the battle! Nod
-audio is clipping (shift+a)
-text on license plate is shifted. Try text "12345678", the last letter will "wrap around" and a part of it is shown at left edgge.
Awesome car. Not easy but very rewarding. I tried a full grid at BL1 with AI, so fun, they are kind of fast when they brake soon enough which is not always the case...

One question what is the height of the CG (curiosity).
Quote from loopingz :Awesome car. Not easy but very rewarding. I tried a full grid at BL1 with AI, so fun, they are kind of fast when they brake soon enough which is not always the case...

One question what is the height of the CG (curiosity).

Sorry for the late response and glad you enjoy the car Thumbs up

The CofG is 0.287m above ground with the editor stating the minimum as 0.212m. I think there are some complex things going-on with jacking and the rear roll center but it is too complicated for my tiny mind right now!

The AI seem to lock the rears under braking - I think this is a combination of the known problem with the tyres / physics (transferring too much weight) and the low engine inertia / lack of springing in the clutch simulation - they just seem to dump the clutch on the downshift while fully on the brakes and lock the rears. I could move brake bias forward but then you couldn't trail brake effectively.

Hopefully the car will come even more into its own with the new physics and also the headlights will allow good endurance racing through twilight and into the night!!
i really like the look of front light behind transparent covers ! good job
damnit
my kid found this but it's not downloadable. now he's whining at me.
Quote from WarrenK :but it's not downloadable

You have to upgrade your licence to S3 to download and use mods.
Yep don't let your kid whine anymore get S3 upgrade!

Wessex R69SP - A vintage sports prototype
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG