The online racing simulator
Server Up - LFSportbikes Test and Tune
Hello,

I have launched a motorcycle test and tune server for the motorcycles mods called "LFSportbikes Test and Tune". Link: lfs://join=LFSportbikes%20Test%20and%20Tune

Use the server as intended, to test and tune, share setups, and start the conversations.

2 wheels are new to LFS, and I have been waiting for them to arrive for years. Bikes are hard to learn, very different from cars, but very rewarding when you get it right.

Cheers.
Yes, riding on 2 wheels with a steering is very wrong, but on a sim, its better that trying to understand the counter steering physics of a real bike if you have never rode before, or getting those physics correct in sim.

To start, I adjusted the steering for the TSR500.

In the 'steering' settings, reduce the amount of movement in your wheel, with front max lock at 10% so the wheel is 45 degrees lock to lock. I left parallel steering at 0%.

Under Controls, I went with:
Wheel turn: 90%
Wheel turn compensation: 0
Force Strength: 100+ (this was important for me to feel the bike and its handling)

But the biggest thing was how and where I was looking going through the corners. Most other bike sims would tilt your view so your eyes stay flat with the horizon, and although they thought this was how the sim needed to be setup, I disagree and usually turn this feature off. It feels funny, but you have to tilt your head through the corners, like a dog being asked if its wants a cookie. Still feels funny but works well.

If anyone is having more success with their setups, please share. This is just what Ive come up with after about an hour of testing.
#3 - Gunn
I am wondering if mouse steering might be more intuitive than using a wheel, for bikes. Uhmm
Quote from Gunn :I am wondering if mouse steering might be more intuitive than using a wheel, for bikes. Uhmm

It's actually not as bad as you might think Big grin I've had a lot of fun driving the GP125 and GP250 around many tracks with my wheel. dunno how many kilometers i've driven already, but i can keep the bike going without falling over once in a few laps so i guess i've got the hang of them Big grin

I would say it's most fun with what you're used to play with (obviously), i don't think theres any advantages or disadvantages between wheel and mouse. (apart from analog throttle/brake of course, but there's also the choice of using mouse for steering and pedals for throttle/brake/clutch inputs Big grin)
I made few attempts with bikes in LFS, but clearly not very fun ! Scavier needs to associate with Piboso to have GPBikes physics Omg omg omg
Quote from Flotch :I made few attempts with bikes in LFS, but clearly not very fun ! Scavier needs to associate with Piboso to have GPBikes physics Omg omg omg

Ive thought that many years ago, and PiBoso looks to have done well with the GP Bikes. I had a license but the community was lacking for races so I havent touched it for ages.
Quote from nikopdr :It's actually not as bad as you might think Big grin I've had a lot of fun driving the GP125 and GP250 around many tracks with my wheel. dunno how many kilometers i've driven already, but i can keep the bike going without falling over once in a few laps so i guess i've got the hang of them Big grin

Yes, thats why I picked Westhill National for the server, as its a smaller track with the easiest amount of corners to get those laps in and familiarize yourself with the layout and the bike. Im having fun!
Track changed to Rockingham national.
Back to Westhill National circuit.
Live now doing laps on the 125GP.
Best lap on the GP125 was 2:17.030. Still more speed to find, but felt good. Smile
I see people popping in the sever, jumping on the 650RR (or 650RR-T), crashing every 3rd corner then leaving in frustration (its some-what comical). The 650RR is not the bike to start on. Compared to the GP125 and 250, the 650RR is heavy, and handles like a fridge.

Select your gear for the turn, and be smooth on the gas, dont blip the throttle through the corner as it upsets the bikes balance (sorry mouse/keyboard users).

On the GP125, here's my gear selection for Westhill National:
corner 1 - 4th
corner 2 - 3rd/4th
corner 3 - 3rd/4th
corner 4 - 3rd
corner 5/6 - 2nd/3rd
corner 7 - 3rd/4th
corner 8 - 2nd
corner 9 - 3rd
corner 10 - 3rd
corner 11 - 3rd/4th
corner 12 - 4th

Not an expert here, just trying to help out.

Post your findings!
The 125 is the best motorbikes for me, i'm trying to beat you ^^ I use a XBOX360 controller with my vr cockpit vivew, it's so sensatioonnal!
Quote from NENE87 :The 125 is the best motorbikes for me, i'm trying to beat you ^^ I use a XBOX360 controller with my vr cockpit vivew, it's so sensatioonnal!

2:16.82...damn...haha

I was going to try a controller as well...good idea.
That was fun! We got into the 2:06's and 2:07's on the lil GP125. Thanks for the push, NENE87!
That was really fun :)i need to improve the gearbox ratio i guess...

My gears:
corner 1 - 5th
corner 2 - 4th smoothly
corner 3 - 4th
corner 4 - 4th
corner 5 - slow 3rd
corner 6/7 - 2nd and 3rd too
corner 8 - 4th/5th
corner 9 - 2nd
corner 10 - 3rd
corner 11 - 3rd
corner 12 - 3rd/4th
corner 13 - 4th/5th
Sport bikes need just 1/4 of throttle most of the time, so mouse isn't appropriate for them. But if you limit the power, it's quite driveable.

Though, I think mouse allows you to move steering lock to lock in a moment, which is impossible with wheel and bike, and once I made a bike flip: I was turning tightly, then put steering straight or to the other side, and the steering assistance put it in a barrel roll.

I did some laps in WE1 and FE4 in 650RR (with 10% restriction), and it's quite driveable.

The problem why bikes seem uncontrollable is because on bike, you fall down. In a car, you still need to do the same things as in bike: plan your curves ahead and turn in the appropriate moment. But in a car you don't fall down, just spin or slide.
I posted a 2:04.30 at WE National on the GP125 today in 3 laps. Still more speed to be found though.
And then I watched my replay from the pit wall..haha
GP12 PB by Motordirex: 2:03.20!
Woaw! I try to beat you now ^^

11:23pm You r too fast for me... I need practice Big grin
Quote from NENE87 :Woaw! I try to beat you now ^^

11:23pm You r too fast for me... I need practice Big grin

You'll get there. I only got that 2:03 chasing your time!

Track moved to Westhill International.
Posted a 2:35.74 on the GP125 before the server went on the fritz. The International circuit is wicked on the bikes.
Keeps getting more interesting and fun. Love a challenge.

Did some races on the Mosquito 150...hilariously enjoyable as some of the corners at Westhill Intl. you can do top gear fat out through.

The Mosquito is good to learn the track and get used to 2 wheels as you have to maintain speed, momentum, and your racing lines because there is no power in that machine.

Also put the brake balance at 90% front (GP125) to reduce the chance of locking the rear wheel and putting you into a tank slapper when slowing down, especially at lean. Adjust the balance with the brake force so the bike is as settled as possible under braking.
I found BX400 to be very cool bike to drive! I always fail on that first corner after back straight... always too far to the sand lol.

EDIT: Got 2:42.75 wit BX400 ( BX40 )

EDIT2: 2:38.86

Server Up - LFSportbikes Test and Tune
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG