The online racing simulator
Sudden Disconnection
(31 posts, started )
Sudden Disconnection
I'm having a problem with random disconnects. I'm really not sure what is going on because there is no warning. No lag. No frame rate issues. No cars skipping around me. No performance issues of any kind. I'll be racing along, everything fine, and then I'll just get disconnected.

I'm not getting kicked (as best as I can tell), so I don't have a clue what's going on. It isn't server specific (happened on 4 seperate servers). I'm using Comcast broadband thru a cable modem thru a Linksys wireless router. The PC I use is connected via ethernet cable (NOT wifi. The wifi is for my laptop). Standard stuff.

Any hints?

I did a search and didn't come up with anything. I'll search again, but if anyone has any suggestions, please post them.

THanks
#2 - Bisch
I am desperatly looking for hints too.
LFS really rocks for me since my buddies and I take part in beginner cups.
The problem is that a whole week of training and 50minutes of sweat and struggle for positions can turn into infinite disappointment.
It's like lottery.
Sooner or later the net graph grows and grows and all hope: Please not me.
Then someone drops almost randomly. It's like the musical chair or "journey to jerusalem" (german phrase).

All other services stay online (However... of course I cancel them before race excluding Teamspeak 2)

I had never problems with any other online game. In training sessions I dont have these problems either. Ping is always great. Strange is that sometimes it happens, sometimes everything is fine. Id say in 1 of 3 1-hour-races I get a disco. And some other friends have the same experiences.

Before races I switch to to a fix LAN connection and dismount my WLAN-Stick.

The only hints I have read are "tweak MTU settings" and raise minimum sleep in LFS. Its difficult to test these settings because Id need several complete races to be able to evaluate the success.

So my question is what you can recommend?

- MTU settings for router
- MTU settings for LAN adapter
- Value in "minimum sleep" setting
- Other possible settings
- Does direct connection provide improvments compared to conncetion via router?

Other hints and tips are welcome too!
How are the bars on the bottom left of your screen before this happens to you? The thing is you may not see any lagging but might be lagging yourself, last night I saw someone who was contstantly getting connection lost and kept coming back in slowing the server down (causing slow pits, joins etc).
I am having the same problem with these disconnect problems
"lost connection to host"
I've been unable to connect to servers. Sometimes i cant even connect to the master server to get a racelist. Other times i i get various messages when trying to join and if i do join i will get disconnected within several minutes.
It seemed to work later this night after I:
-finished a virus scan
-reset modem
-reset wireless router
-turned off wireless zero configuration
-looked for adware/spyware
-changed LFS to full screen
-closed all other programs
-reset pc
Im not sure if it was just a coincidence that I could play without the the "lost connection to host" or I have actually fixed it anywho I will report back on my results and as to whether I have achieved success. I must say playing LFS for that extended period of time was truely a delight. Great game.

Good Luck, see you on the track
I have a very similar problem which took me a while to pin down as to what it was. You can search for my thread in this section if you like....

The short story is, it was all down to my ISP. They have a crap, overloaded network that has numerous port restrictions in place.

I can surf the net as normal, but whenever I use an application that uses a port in the restricted range I struggle to stay connected.

Try phoning your ISP and asking if they have any port restrictions - if they do ask them to unblock LFS on port 63392.

Anyway, thats what MY problem was, yours sounds similar but might be totally different.
#8 - steve
I see alot of people online randomly dropping from the server, i think the messages says something like "Lost connection to user xxxxxxx"
Yeah I got it again under the same variables : (
Quote from Spinjack :I'm having a problem with random disconnects. I'm really not sure what is going on because there is no warning. No lag. No frame rate issues. No cars skipping around me. No performance issues of any kind. I'll be racing along, everything fine, and then I'll just get disconnected.

I'm not getting kicked (as best as I can tell), so I don't have a clue what's going on. It isn't server specific (happened on 4 seperate servers). I'm using Comcast broadband thru a cable modem thru a Linksys wireless router. The PC I use is connected via ethernet cable (NOT wifi. The wifi is for my laptop). Standard stuff.

Any hints?

I did a search and didn't come up with anything. I'll search again, but if anyone has any suggestions, please post them.

THanks

Wierd , same internet, same router, and after installing the U20 Patch, I have been disconnected a lot. Before installing the patch, I had no such problems. illepall Possibly the patch
Today (Patch U20) I also was disconnected multiple times from a League Server. I had driven in the server previously in previous patches with no disconnection. I have a feeling that it is the later patches somehow causing these disconnections.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Today (Patch U20) I also was disconnected multiple times from a League Server. I had driven in the server previously in previous patches with no disconnection. I have a feeling that it is the later patches somehow causing these disconnections.

remember you were not the only one on the server - i was also on U20 - no problems
Yes, but in general, Patch Uxx have been giving me many more disconnections compared to the days of old.
Hmm ISP, client problems.... dunno....
My problem is that I play day by day.. hour after hour without problems.
No disconnect at the weekend for example.
But in races sometimes it happens and in 2/3 it doesn't.
The same for a lot of other people among us in the race league.
It's just like lottery.
The bars go up and up short before a drop. But all bars go up and all players see them. Then it shells someone by random.
This is so anoying cause this aint simply a FPF or FPS Mod where it wouldnt be a problem to reconnect 2, 3 times a week.
These kind of disconnections have happened to me as well. Luckily, never in league races, but I can imagine the frustration.

Same as the guys above, my ping and everything is ok. Disconnections only happened a couple times but its strange.
and LFS is the only game that I get any kind of connection hickups, I can play CSS and stuff for hours, with like a ping of 70, and no connection errors ever, but as soon as I fire LFS up, within an hour, connection fails. and I remember in patch U it was there, but not much, but the later U patches have made it 200% worse.
Quote from BurnOut69 :These kind of disconnections have happened to me as well. Luckily, never in league races, but I can imagine the frustration.

Same as the guys above, my ping and everything is ok. Disconnections only happened a couple times but its strange.

I have same problem - sudden disconnect
#18 - JCTK
I have the same problem too.
But everything was running extremely nicely when I join an Australia or NZ server, but I simply struggle to get onto any other server, and once I'm in, I'll be lucky to survive anything more than 3 laps~!
I find that it usually happens when I have much traffic in view tho, like in the STCC RB4 Sprint, I had a fine ping, but after the race ended and it became free for all, I lagged out, same as in the race, I was fine, until the safety car clumped us all together.
I have had problems of disconnections due to a high (above 90%) CPU usage,
try stopping unuseful running processes and you might see a difference.
I was running on minimal processes, pretty much just LFS (not even Explorer)
I have been having connection issues for the last month, its ok when I race for fun i get a few disco's no problem, but when it starts doing it evry 15mins on race day....:banghead: it really pisses me off!

Most recently my first race of the STCC, put in hours of practice came to race & could not even connect to the master server. (on for top 3 finish to) It just gets worse.

I am gona get on to my ISP today & tell them what for. Whats the point of paying for something that does'nt work?!?

hopefully its just a case of restricted ports like mr bogeyman, by the way what ISP do you have ? I am on orange & they suck.

edit: mr ldriver I really dont believe that connection issues can be related to high cpu usage unless you are downloading, filesharing, or browsing multiple websites at the same time as playing LFS.
I am also having same problems I can bearly play on any servers. Kind of sucks since I bought LFS to play online also with my new wheel but I can't stay in servers for 5 - 15min. The bars down the bottom left (Net graph?), one of them would rise untill it his top then I would get D/Cd. I would also get errors like "Can't get track info" etc and I would try again and i will be like "Can't get guest info" then I would try once more and I would get in for 15min or so. Really frustrating.

I hope someone cause sort out the problem as judging by this thread its a big one.
i get random disconnects, too. is there any way to test your isp other than phoning him? because i don´t believe in call centers to tell you the truth, they simply don´t know it.
what i also wanted to know: were the people posting here the only person on that server that got disconnected or were other players also disconnected?
another thing that come into my mind - is there a way that another player in the same race could spam your connection with something like constant private messages so that your connection gets overloaded? kinda like a script that tries to kill other player to his advantage?

peace mo
Quote from anttt69 :I have been having connection issues for the last month, its ok when I race for fun i get a few disco's no problem, but when it starts doing it evry 15mins on race day....:banghead: it really pisses me off!

Most recently my first race of the STCC, put in hours of practice came to race & could not even connect to the master server. (on for top 3 finish to) It just gets worse.

I am gona get on to my ISP today & tell them what for. Whats the point of paying for something that does'nt work?!?

hopefully its just a case of restricted ports like mr bogeyman, by the way what ISP do you have ? I am on orange & they suck.

edit: mr ldriver I really dont believe that connection issues can be related to high cpu usage unless you are downloading, filesharing, or browsing multiple websites at the same time as playing LFS.

Im on Talktalk crap.

Sudden Disconnection
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG