(43 posts, started )
P166
Vehicle mod: P166
Details page: https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/2CFDA1

SHORT DESCRIPTION:
Quote :1970s Vintage Formula 1 Racecar

DESCRIPTION:
Quote :Fictional Recreation of Vintage f1 Era Technology

I have tried to recreate the specs as accurately as possible although the car isn't completely based in reality. I took inspiration from both late 60s and 70s era cars with a lean towards the 1970s. (Cars like MS10 Cosworth or Lotus 76 / Lotus 79)

- Classic High revving 2993cc V8 (Specs based off the Cosworth DFV)
- Double wishbone suspension front/rear
- Low drag Coefficient body
- Accurate 70s Tire specs & Handling setup
- Fun to drive but challenging to learn and master

------------------------------------------------------------------

The exhaust is very loud, if you would rather a quieter version
you can download it here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11SQNMDy-sMb8gIYaNWs-x3RvUTR2mlXg/view?usp=sharing

Update 1: Aero configurations, 4 different classic body types!

Update 2: Handling/Setup fixes - Body changes + fine tuning chassis

Big thanks to the homie Dhawl for helping with the headers & ITB intakes + always giving feedback in the discord call Big grin

Mod is coming out of "work in progress" phase, but fine tuning stages are still in the works! If you have any suggestions please feel free to message me!

COVER SCREENSHOT:
I'm fighting for my life driving this car. 10/10

In all seriousness, really good job on the overall modelling and configurations on this car. It can't be understated how much detail went into this mod. The multiple configs take the cake with the different eras represented in one mod.

One of, if not the most challenging but rewarding cars to drive right in this game.
Really quick, really fun especially with road super tires. Going full throttle after a turn is so satisfying with this thing.
Fun to competitive race! Fun to time attack! Fun to slide around with road tires! Amazing interior detail! Perfect exterior details and configurations! What more could you ask for? Skins to replicate old F1 races…
Quote from PopnLochNessMonster :I'm fighting for my life driving this car. 10/10

In all seriousness, really good job on the overall modelling and configurations on this car. It can't be understated how much detail went into this mod. The multiple configs take the cake with the different eras represented in one mod.

One of, if not the most challenging but rewarding cars to drive right in this game.

Heart Thanks Pop Smile
Quote from martin18 :Fun to competitive race! Fun to time attack! Fun to slide around with road tires! Amazing interior detail! Perfect exterior details and configurations! What more could you ask for? Skins to replicate old F1 races…

Might have some skins in the works..... Cool
This car is somewhat ruined by the ability to have 30degrees steering lock with a steering wheel ratio which feels like 8:1 or less at less than 300 degrees rotation.
Steering rack update helped alot. But I found when reducing total steering angle the wheel rotation was scaling down, so the ratio remained almost the same throughout, so I was unable to get it exactly as I would have liked.
Quote from BlueFlame :Steering rack update helped alot. But I found when reducing total steering angle the wheel rotation was scaling down, so the ratio remained almost the same throughout, so I was unable to get it exactly as I would have liked.

Aw Frown sad to hear that it didnt quite work out. LFS scales the steering turn angle to correspond to the total angle the wheels can turn.

Glad that it helped out a bit and made some impact! you can try setting your IRL wheels steering rotation up through your wheels setting app or in LFS in the Axes/FF tab.
Excellent job! My laptop can only run GPL and LFS so it's nice to have access to a car from my fav era of racing. The thing gets really slidey with road supers and no wings! I'm still figuring it out but it's still been fun learning it.
I noticed each car variant has only one shadow for all - the one without wings. The winged cars look weird on track then, without the appropriate shadow. Is it a bug or a feature? Smile
Quote from Kid222 :I noticed each car variant has only one shadow for all - the one without wings. The winged cars look weird on track then, without the appropriate shadow. Is it a bug or a feature? Smile

definitely a bug... I was sure I added the multiple configuration pieces to my LOD2 but will put out a quick update tonight fixing that if I had missed that during my recent update changing all the configurations lol
Is it me or all the configuration share the same aero dynamic settings?
It kind of kills the point imho.
Other than that it is brilliant.
this P166 make me appreciate F1. really exciting and fun to race (with a good setup)
Quote from loopingz :Is it me or all the configuration share the same aero dynamic settings?
It kind of kills the point imho.
Other than that it is brilliant.

I know Frown no way around it since you cant have aerodynamics be contributed to configuration sets.. Just like tire sizes cant be changed with different configurations either which is another thing i ran into on the P1 and the Phoenix. ( I just turn off the wing aero if im rocking the early spec Wink )
Quote from Molliwhoppa :Excellent job! My laptop can only run GPL and LFS so it's nice to have access to a car from my fav era of racing. The thing gets really slidey with road supers and no wings! I'm still figuring it out but it's still been fun learning it.

Man really happy to hear this Big grin Big grin. This is exactly the reason why I like making mods, Other racing sims can be intense to run on a older system so having this feature in LFS and the joy of being able to model/drive our favorite cars is so cool.
Quote from Jake_Blasted :I know Frown no way around it since you cant have aerodynamics be contributed to configuration sets.. Just like tire sizes cant be changed with different configurations either which is another thing i ran into on the P1 and the Phoenix. ( I just turn off the wing aero if im rocking the early spec Wink )

For me I would do 3 cars like p166 p174 p180. I understand you want to keep it neat. But this way you can run aero for Monaco in the no wing version. Bad trick!
how to downlaod , I see no downlaod button
Very good work in the car physics, however I don't feel much difference in car behaviour between the "Early Spec" and the "Late Spec". In my opinion, the difference has to be huge ("Late spec" rely hugely on downforce, while Early Spec should not, so my lap time should increase a lot in the second configuration, in my opinion), instead, the lap time and the car behaviour seem similar to me between specs. The actual car physic seems to be based only on downforce.
The different configs are just visuals at the moment.
(In original LFS cars, this function was only used for closed roof/cabrio option.) It has been suggested that different configs can have different physics but it is not possible yet.

---
You likely know already, but the default skin is just a white square..
Yes please split mod to give different characters at least on aero...
I have an idea. It is not that much, but may you create different standard setups per each aero kits? In this way maybe it is possible to choose kits with a setup that is as much "real" as possible. Unfortunately, I don't know much about car dynamic behaviour to set up by myself to correct this issue
Quote from edoardo94 :I have an idea. It is not that much, but may you create different standard setups per each aero kits? In this way maybe it is possible to choose kits with a setup that is as much "real" as possible. Unfortunately, I don't know much about car dynamic behaviour to set up by myself to correct this issue

Yea i can definitely make 4 default setups that reflect the cars aero package. Setups can be very personal depending on driver so I recommend tweaking them to make the car handling exactly how you would like it too.
Without splitting the mod and not much control on setups, people will run the early model with downforce and that's not cool. I know it is neat to keep it this way (with configuration) but I would prefer it much better by version according to their era.
Right now if I want to make a server with non aero F1 I have the gpl65 and the Tommy28. It would be nice having a exclusive p166.
Your car(s) is so nice it is ahead of the modding system. It is a family of nice cars!

P166
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG