The online racing simulator
Some mod ideas
(45 posts, started )
Some mod ideas
I'm very much interested in high quality mods for when 0.7C with the new mod stuff arrives (for testing).

I'd like to propose some ideas for high quality mods that should be relatively easy to make based off the existing car models and their engine specs.

The idea is simple, place an existing engine in another car and tweak it until it roughly matches a existing car class. There should be a lot to tweak like mass, weight-distribution or the exact engine configuration/size, and i want to stay close to current LFS cars/classes.

First ideas;

LX8 - LX GTR (yeah i know there's a mod around)
Basicly the LX6 body with the FO8's 3 litre V8 under the bonnet. It needs slicks and some downforce and matches the GTR spec. Maybe wider wheels?
This one is far heavier than LX4/LX6, maybe lower the power or revs of the engine instead?
  • Total mass = 539+469=1008kg
  • Power = 335kW
  • Power-weight = ~332W/kg like the GTR's.
RAR - Raceabout GTR
Basicly the RAC body with the FZ5's 3.6 litre flat 6 in the back. It needs slicks, some downforce and some added weight to match the GTR spec.
  • Total mass = 800+10=810kg
  • Power = 269kW
  • Power-weight = ~332W/kg like the GTR's.
What do you think?
Maybe we can collaborate to make this work? Some community members might be better in tweaking the 3D model, others prefer to test/balance the specs (like myself).

Cheers, Stan (Boer Tarrel)
Good thread.

Something I would try to do is.

4 Door FXO Tongue
This is more of a request than a mod idea, modders please don't just focus on looks, cars need to be driveable aswell so have a good look in the mass layers and suchSmile
#4 - BeNoM
LX8 weighing a ton? No way!
Thats why I think limiting the engine maybe better. Somewhere below 750kg mass would be better, indeed..

In comparison to a real life alternative: a Donkervoort D8 GTO weighs about 700kgs, so that seems realistic. It delivers 340~380bhp and 450Nm torque.

The FO8's V8 has higher bhp and lower torque... Maybe it's better to create a completely new engine for this :-)
Quote from Van Sterberkt :Thats why I think limiting the engine maybe better. Somewhere below 750kg mass would be better, indeed..

In comparison to a real life alternative: a Donkervoort D8 GTO weighs about 700kgs, so that seems realistic. It delivers 340~380bhp and 450Nm torque.

The FO8's V8 has higher hbp and lower torque... Maybe it's better to create a completely new engine for this :-)

FO8's V8 has higher hbp = IndycarThumbs up

& LMP plzNa-na
Performance wise, I imagine LMP2 to be inbetween GTR & FO8, and LMP1 to be inbetween GTR & BF1. This could be another interesting thing yeah.
We'll only be able to simulate/mod from the late 90 early 2000" era, as LFS doesn't support modern complex electronics (yet).

Classic cars should be possible too, but we need old type of road/slick tyres if we want to mod something like an 70' F1 or touring car accurately, unless you could reduce the tyres friction/grip of the default compound which is an approximation but should be ok for the time being.
A batshit crazy early 2000s style V10 with 20k redline for FO8, with no traction control but improved underbody downforce to aid driving in dirty air.
1000cc bike sports are also very interestThumbs up
Supercars V8
Attached images
d7eaad96cd6dc8813797be6921bd6579.jpg
would be amazing to see a Dallara p217 clone, one of the most fun cars on iRacing, did the Petit Le Mans last month and I couldn't get enough of the car
Quote from lfsrm :We'll only be able to simulate/mod from the late 90 early 2000" era, as LFS doesn't support modern complex electronics (yet).

Classic cars should be possible too, but we need old type of road/slick tyres if we want to mod something like an 70' F1 or touring car accurately, unless you could reduce the tyres friction/grip of the default compound which is an approximation but should be ok for the time being.

Using road tyres to approximate older slicks might be the way to go.
#16 - 5tag
Or limit them to R3s or just R4s. How would you even go about getting accurate data for how grippy 70s slick tyre compounds were?

And yeah, the even older, grooved tyres could be approximated by using the road or hybrid compounds. But ultimately we need the new tyre physics to include some old cross plied tyres.
Quote from 5tag :How would you even go about getting accurate data for how grippy 70s slick tyre compounds were?

There's literature on the internet. One example would be "Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith
Some words of wisdom:

You're much better off learning the craft yourself than waiting on someone fulfilling your request. Those that can create this stuff don't sit around, not knowing what to do. And collaborating on these things does not mean one person writes down an idea, and another sits down for half a year actually making it Wink Literally anyone can come up with some fantasy specs in 5 minutes.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I know all this from the Assetto Corsa community.
#19 - R-to
LFS future is this.

Racing series just make the rules what can cars be and everybody makes by the rules their own cars and come to race in the series <3
FZ50 turbo based on a 911 996 turbo S (450hp, 620Nm, 1540kg, 4wd).
I made a test with this, and it is pretty nice. I simply did not find how to have the turbo not charging before 3k RPM... (edit : in fact in LFS it is good, it is just on the power/torque graph where it is not shown)
Quote from R-to :LFS future is this.

Racing series just make the rules what can cars be and everybody makes by the rules their own cars and come to race in the series <3

great idea
Quote from ACCAkut :Some words of wisdom:

You're much better off learning the craft yourself than waiting on someone fulfilling your request. Those that can create this stuff don't sit around, not knowing what to do. And collaborating on these things does not mean one person writes down an idea, and another sits down for half a year actually making it Wink Literally anyone can come up with some fantasy specs in 5 minutes.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I know all this from the Assetto Corsa community.

Actually im working on this myself. As you say, people dont sit around and wait..
This is not a request, im looking for other peoples thoughts/interests on this.
Quote from lfsrm :Classic cars should be possible too, but we need old type of road/slick tyres if we want to mod something like an 70' F1 or touring car accurately, unless you could reduce the tyres friction/grip of the default compound which is an approximation but should be ok for the time being.

When old cars are raced today, there are often not 100% original anyway.
For example there exists some series for historic cars, like "Historic Formula One Championship" but as far as I looked, they seem to use modern tire compounds.
So instead of "racing in the '70s" it could be "racing 70's cars in 2021".
With the same compromises that exist in real life when these cars are driven today.

(The game GT Legends does it similiar: The cars are old but they are driven on obviously modern tracks.)
Wonder if Scawen has a cross ply tyre ready to go.
Quote from Gutholz :When old cars are raced today, there are often not 100% original anyway.
For example there exists some series for historic cars, like "Historic Formula One Championship" but as far as I looked, they seem to use modern tire compounds.

The Touring Car Masters category in Australia is a good example of this.
Cars from the 60s and 70s running on modern rubber and other components to make the cars more reliable for racing.

Produces some good raging too.
https://youtu.be/AwXWdjiJMOY?t=93

Some mod ideas
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG