The online racing simulator
#1 - lfsrm
XF2 ? (slightly newer XFG replacement)
Hi,

I thought it could be a good idea to start something to kill time before the mod support test patch, so I started a project to test some ideas and why not a practice opportunity since I am not super comfortable in making low res assets.

It's a sort of concept for a newer version or a replacement for XFG, basically it's your typical everyday 2002~2008 small city car with a relatively powerful engine (GTI).

I am still undecided about of the engine configuration or other technical aspects, let's say it will have around 170 hp max (for now).

So here are some pictures of the design, I will probably change/add some details later when I make some progress but this is mostly the final version.

Attached images
Capture d’écran 2021-11-05 132922.jpg
Capture d’écran 2021-11-05 133035.jpg
Capture d’écran 2021-11-05 133130.jpg
#2 - Tazka
Wow that's really nice! You got some talent on car design!
#3 - lfsrm
Quote from Tazka :Wow that's really nice! You got some talent on car design!

Thanks Smile, I just wish I could bring this project to completion.

I forgot to mention the car dimensions :

Length : 3.90m
width : 1.81m without mirror (2.01m with it)
height : 1.35m
wheelbase : 2.40m~
Looks nice! Are you thinking about a XRG (RWD/saloon car) replacement with matching specs as well?
#5 - lfsrm
Quote from Van Sterberkt :Looks nice! Are you thinking about a XRG (RWD/saloon car) replacement with matching specs as well?

Why not, if I succeed to properly convert this car. Smile
Looks nice. Regarding technical specs,you should consider a "basis version" which could fit in the current GTi class - 3rd (and who knows,maybe in time 4th and 5th) car would make racing more interesting in that class. And maybe the top version (same engine,just turbocharged to make it real life like) could fit in TBO class? Aaand of couse a race-spec version could fit in NGT class and some crazy 4WD super version can be used as RX car...
Just throwing out ideas,maybe you're interested to fill some of those.
#7 - lfsrm
Quote from Eclipsed :Looks nice. Regarding technical specs,you should consider a "basis version" which could fit in the current GTi class - 3rd (and who knows,maybe in time 4th and 5th) car would make racing more interesting in that class. And maybe the top version (same engine,just turbocharged to make it real life like) could fit in TBO class? Aaand of couse a race-spec version could fit in NGT class and some crazy 4WD super version can be used as RX car...
Just throwing out ideas,maybe you're interested to fill some of those.

I might consider all these variations, after I get the necessary motivation boost by at least completing this first version. Schwitz

Plus I'm worried about the texturing part of the editor, so we'll see how things goes..
Good job so far, I like it! Good to see that people can express their creativity this way now. I'm looking forward to further progress Smile
#9 - lfsrm
Schwitz

Pretty much finished with the exterior, but there is a slight issue ( major one in fact ), the exterior alone is 36k triangles, so I guess I must compromise in the overall shapes quality Frown, unless I make an UF1-like interior Petals.

Attached images
front.jpg
rear.jpg
That looks like a fun car! Nice to see some more realistic and modern cars being created.
#11 - AdZy
Wow, really impressive!
As #10 said, nice to see a realistic, modern-looking car.
Nice! Looking forward to this. I also wish there will be an XF sedan mod
Is the X-shape of the front grill intentional? Really nice believable design, hats off for that Thumbs up
Quote from ACCAkut :Is the X-shape of the front grill intentional? Really nice believable design, hats off for that Thumbs up

Yes, it's supposed to house a logo texture.
This is amazing piece of desing... Can't wait to drive it!
This looks fantastic, can't wait to try it out!
This looks epic dude!
Looks amazing dude! I´ll waiting for the release to try it on track, keep this good work man!
#19 - FIZ
Quote from lfsrm :
unless I make an UF1-like interior Petals.

Please don't!
Interior > Exterior while driving.
Imho, only the front and the back of the car should be detailed, leaving less detailed the other parts (top, sides, bottom) that are more rarely seen during a race.
Interiors in LFS official cars are sooooooooooooo empty.. 15 years ago was ok, nowadays nope, not at all!
Amazing work man, keep going.
Quote from FIZ :Please don't!
Interior > Exterior while driving.
Imho, only the front and the back of the car should be detailed, leaving less detailed the other parts (top, sides, bottom) that are more rarely seen during a race.
Interiors in LFS official cars are sooooooooooooo empty.. 15 years ago was ok, nowadays nope, not at all!
Amazing work man, keep going.

You pretty much said it ! I will surely do some more optimizations after the completion the interior base mesh.
Pack it in with performance like XFG and XRG and it will be MEGA!

Looking really good, keep it up Big grin!
cant wait to give this thing a spin
Damn, this car is probably one of the best i've seen here until now.

Not that i'm kind of fan of its design, but of the way it's made.

First of all, it does look well made and designed
And second one, I like how it's keeping XFG's DNA :
-The overall form of the car
-The way it look like grabbing designs from some IRL cars
(front look like fiats stilo/punto, rear a mixture of a duster and 208)

Can't you try, for the interior, to take XFG's actual and make some slight modern changes? It's how most of constructors were doing in the past Tongue

Worst case scenario, you will make a gen2 of it with redesigned interior on the future Big grin
Quote from Kova. :Damn, this car is probably one of the best i've seen here until now.

Not that i'm kind of fan of its design, but of the way it's made.

First of all, it does look well made and designed
And second one, I like how it's keeping XFG's DNA :
-The overall form of the car
-The way it look like grabbing designs from some IRL cars
(front look like fiats stilo/punto, rear a mixture of a duster and 208)

Can't you try, for the interior, to take XFG's actual and make some slight modern changes? It's how most of constructors were doing in the past Tongue

Worst case scenario, you will make a gen2 of it with redesigned interior on the future Big grin

Thanks, I'm still figuring out the interior shapes and dimensions, so the only thing I can guarantee is it will retain the central "punto-like" air vents style with of course some (many) changes.

Plus there is some issues I (maybe) need to fix with the front window shape, when I tried to test out the car dimension in-game, I found the interior front view a little bit claustrophobic for my taste :

I need some opinions about that.

EDIT : I think it's actually fine when compared to an Audi A1, which is nearly similar in size :

Attached images
dim_test.jpg
A1 compare.jpg
Honestly I think it looks good the way it is. That "claustrophobic" interior suits the modern style of cars.

XF2 ? (slightly newer XFG replacement)
(117 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG