The online racing simulator
Help me! How do you create new cars?
Hello All
Do you [developers] have a system of making new cars or you follow your inspiration? How do you decide to make a new car for LFS?
Easy - they don't make new cars anymore. At least not in the last 10+ years. Big grin
#3 - 5tag
I think most cars were added 15+ years ago, which was back when they just went with it.
The later additions had to do with financial backing and/or promo. Obviously the business details elude me.
AFAIK the 2006 BMW Sauber F1 car was part of a deal with Intel. The Formula BMW came in association with the V1 Championship. And the infamous VW Scirocco (not yet released) was used for a competition at Games Convention in 2008. The MRT5 and Raceabout 06 are the results of university projects from Canada and Finland respectively. I'd be interested to hear from ErViSca how that came to be.

Storytime with devs when? Big grin
put a vob mod, now you got yourself a skyline
Quote from 5tag :I think most cars were added 15+ years ago, which was back when they just went with it.
The later additions had to do with financial backing and/or promo. Obviously the business details elude me.
AFAIK the 2006 BMW Sauber F1 car was part of a deal with Intel. The Formula BMW came in association with the V1 Championship. And the infamous VW Scirocco (not yet released) was used for a competition at Games Convention in 2008. The MRT5 and Raceabout 06 are the results of university projects from Canada and Finland respectively. I'd be interested to hear from ErViSca how that came to be.

Storytime with devs when? Big grin

I thought the Raceabout was actually some sort of production car from a start-up in Sweden. It's not? Wow. I never knew how the beemer came about. I just updated one day and it was there. Personally, I like that they make up their own cars and I think they should do that with any more cars they wanna put in the game. Since the base cars were already dated back in '03, I'd like to see them go historical. Base car models on real cars from earlier eras.... Like a '30s era FWD formula car/roadster. Or when everyone was still experimenting with aerodynamics in the late '60s and had those crazy spoilers. And I really wish they'd do more with the drag strip.
#7 - Gunn
I had always hoped for a vintage GP-style racer (or two) from around the early fifties.
I like most of the cars in LFS, though the RB4 could use a few more polygons IMO Taped Shut
Quote from Gunn :I like most of the cars in LFS, though the RB4 could use a few more polygons IMO Taped Shut

Some could do with a few more cylinders too Smile I think 15 / 20 are 4 cylinder.
As an Aussie, I'd always hoped for a V8 tin-top.
#9 - Gunn
Quote from farcar :Some could do with a few more cylinders too Smile I think 15 / 20 are 4 cylinder.
As an Aussie, I'd always hoped for a V8 tin-top.

Maybe a 1974 XB Falcon Hardtop? Wink
Maybe a Torana A9X to balance that and keep the real production car battle between GMH and Ford alive LOL

Mind you I once suggested the devs make a V8 powered XRR Etc. as an option to the turdos that is: Have the Turdos and the V8 so with the same weight, gearing etc would be good to see comparison
The only V8 I really want to see is an early 90ies Indycar replica - 2.6 liter turbocharged 11-12k rpm reving V8 with 700 or so HP,big fat tyres and simple aero. That would be fun!
#12 - 5tag
Quote from Eclipsed :The only V8 I really want to see is an early 90ies Indycar replica - 2.6 liter turbocharged 11-12k rpm reving V8 with 700 or so HP,big fat tyres and simple aero. That would be fun!

Sounds fun to drive indeed! But it would be rare to have decent races in them. I mean the FO8 is mostly collecting dust or being wrecked anyways, and that isn't half as mad as what you describe.

If we're talking V8 wishlist sensibly, something like "V8 Supercars" seems ideal to me. I cannot stress enough how badly LFS needs proper touring cars. Tilt

Regarding GTs I'd rather they leave the XRR as is (except give it higher RPMs) and introduce a 360 Modena type of car instead.

And yeah, I'm all for 50s/60s GP cars with no aero and period-correct shitty tyre compounds. Small displacement V8s and V12s would allow for close racing while producing filthy old sounds. Ya right

Help me! How do you create new cars?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG