The online racing simulator
October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
BTW I wish Scawen was ready to release test patch Smile
So we can forget and play Smile
"The planet has an organized intelligence, dedicated to killing your spirit. Your journey is almost over. We are all travelling backwards, so we don’t have to deal with the reality. We are doomed. If the sun wouldn’t rise up this morning, you wouldn’t know it until it was too late. It’s afternoon and the nervous system can’t take much more of this. The cosmic egg is cracking. You are blocking out the voices with television, with alcohol, with electronic games. Your time is now. Try to live. If you can’t, try to cry. The global human population is metastasizing. We have risen to technological heights in order to destroy ourselves. You are reading the book of last chances and have lost your place and are falling asleep. Soon it will be game over."
https://journeyism.wordpress.com/
take the pill!
Red or Blue?
Quote from RC-Maus :I wish

sigh, stop acting like a child.

Quote from Scawen :This is one of these things where you really need to experience it before you judge it. To the people who have tried it, you look a bit silly saying this repeatedly (I'm referring to previous posts where you have talked about VR in negative terms).

What do I judge? What if the VR enthusiasts actually are the ones going completely out of mind and judging that 2D is something from the past? Television makers already made that mistake by introducing 3D some years ago. Nobody wants to sit with colored glasses in front of their televisions at home. Let alone complete helmets!

But I like the idea of VR180 though and I follow whats going on with those 360 camera's, but, still.. I do not want to get infected with that helmet virus. Microsoft was doing something useful with this hololens thing/idea but overall VR news became very very quiet lately.. So, why not ask the ultra VR fans the question if something innovative is coming up because for the outsiders like me it appears to have stalled.

edit: searched myself now.. Version 2 was released this month. $3500, are they on drugs or what? Lol
with a pair of $2000 RTX needed ...
At this rate, it will be less expensive to buy a real supercar in the coming years than using a racing simulation Big grin
Quote from cargame.nl :edit: searched myself now.. Version 2 was released this month. $3500, are they on drugs or what? Lol

Are you serious? Do you have any idea what kind of R&D is going into this? Any idea what the hardware costs? Also did you know it's not meant for consumers right now?

There seem to be plenty of people that are willing to wear these VR helmets for an epic experience. I don't see why you're so negative about it. 3D didn't really take of because of the flawed implementation and limited material and effectiveness, not because no one wanted to wear those glasses (no they weren't coloured).
Quote from Flotch :with a pair of $2000 RTX needed ...
At this rate, it will be less expensive to buy a real supercar in the coming years than using a racing simulation Big grin

Hehe almost... But real racing (even the cheapest classes) are still a lot more expensive. And we can enjoy racing at the comfort of our chairs inside our warm house. Tongue
"And we can enjoy racing at the comfort of our chairs inside our warm house."

This is the part which makes the sim-racing maybe too soft on the people, sometimes I wish it would exercise me a bit more. Because then sometimes i manage to get on real track (not often enough, sadly), and I'm sore for another 3-5 days... (and yes, I'm too lazy to exercise periodically, my bad). Then again being sore after every session on computer... doesn't sound that attractive either. Big grin
Quote from Ped7g :...maybe too soft on the people, sometimes I wish it would exercise me a bit more.

I'm knackered after an hour of banger racing on Friday night (not so much "normal" racing, but still a little). Maybe it's the 200% FFB strength, but I do like my cars to fight back Big grin Warm house is also a problem, I need a fan on me from about 10 minutes in if my wife has been anywhere near the thermostat.
Yes, but that's like 1/3 or 1/2 of what it is in real race, the extra G forces in every corner are really taxing, it somehow accumulates and the body needs at least a day or two to recover. When I was still doing endurance running, I went for some public run races next day after karting race, and I was always about +30s per 1km slower than what was my regular performance at that time, without any particular reason, just the body was exhausted. But it's kinda funny, because I didn't feel like that. Just a bit sore from the seat here and there, but generally I felt like I should be able to run close to my regular performance, like +5s per km max, but however hard I tried, the +30s was real penalty (or more, if I tried too hard to push over it) for the previous day on track.

And to simulate that at home you need rig which costs ... a lot. Big grin
I'm not saying it's the same, just not entirely exertion-free. My being knackered is more of a comment on my fitness than on effort required Big grin
Quote from Bose321 :Are you serious? Do you have any idea what kind of R&D is going into this? Any idea what the hardware costs? Also did you know it's not meant for consumers right now?

yes, something to do for some people I dont see the problem, doesnt matter, no but thanks for pointing that out. Still not the best method to promote a new product.

Quote from Bose321 : I don't see why you're so negative about it.

criticizing != negative

But to get back on topic, nothing to expect from Microsoft then. Anything else, or is this all?
Quote from cargame.nl :Still not the best method to promote a new product.

criticizing != negative

But to get back on topic, nothing to expect from Microsoft then. Anything else, or is this all?

You missed the part where it's not ready for consumers yet. Hence no actual promotion going on.

Call it whatever you want, but you sound very sour about VR.

Nothing to expect from MS? They're the leader and one of the biggest innovators right now in the AR game, not to be mistaken by VR.
I've heard that the Index is sold out in a few parts of the world because of the new HL game. Seems like there are one or two people that are willing to spend money to sit with a stupid helmet on their head, who would've thought. Smile
Quote from Bose321 :... spend money to sit with a stupid helmet ...

The funny thing is in most of the games you don´t even sit but stand/move Smile
Quote from Bose321 :I've heard that the Index is sold out in a few parts of the world because of the new HL game. Seems like there are one or two people that are willing to spend money to sit with a stupid helmet on their head, who would've thought. Smile

Clearly you haven't used VR.

It's amazing, especially for racing simulators.

HL Alyx is going to be the first VR AAA game. Everything else has been a tech demo or throwing floating hands into a normal game.

It's super exciting.
I believe you guys missed the point of Bose321's comment. I think it was a sarcastic comment directed towards cargame.nl
lol HL:A is tech demo as well.
Quote from gu3st :Clearly you haven't used VR.

It's amazing, especially for racing simulators.

HL Alyx is going to be the first VR AAA game. Everything else has been a tech demo or throwing floating hands into a normal game.

It's super exciting.

I sure have, and I think it's awesome.

Quote from Sobis :I believe you guys missed the point of Bose321's comment. I think it was a sarcastic comment directed towards cargame.nl

Thanks. Tongue
Oh,I miss those good old times where new patch/progress threads consisted of topic related comments. Well,world is changing and as we see - climate is too. And now all around the world is almost mass hysteria as the climate change would be something unique and never happened before in the history.
Also quite ironic to see relatively small and environmentally advanced countries cutting their emmisions and raising taxes even more while emissions of big countries steadily grow. Even more ironic is the fact that these emissions from a certain big country grow because of their industry products are on high demond from... Well you know... Shrug

Fact you can't deny - we can't change the world order by discussing situation here,so why bother? Let's focus on the sim,which is quite big hobby for many of us around here.
Scawen: Can we expect a new progress report for this month/in the next few days from Eric and you? Or are you not ready for that yet?

Thanks anyway
Quote from Eclipsed :Fact you can't deny - we can't change the world order by discussing situation here,so why bother? Let's focus on the sim,which is quite big hobby for many of us around here.

Actually I think we can change the world by talking about it! It can't start any other way. We need to talk about that everywhere.

I believe online is a good place to talk about these things. Often in social situations people just want to have fun and not talk about important issues as they are too serious. Often in family situations it's not worth discussing because it can cause arguments. So we need to talk about it, and share views wherever we can.

A lot has happened this year to bring this stuff into mainstream conversation. Not as if it was hidden before. A lot of people have been trying to bring attention to the destruction of nature for a very long time, but somehow most people could avoid bothering to think about it, as if it wasn't urgent. But the truth is it has been increasing in urgency since the 60s and 70s. Finally environmental concerns are becoming mainstream and even politicians are talking about it, not only the Green party. Their efforts so far have been very minimal, quite pathetic in fact, and we have still been destroying our environment at an increasing rate.

We live in democracies so it is *us* who have to vote for the politicians who will take bold actions to drastically reduce environmental damage before it is too late.

Quote from Pasci :Scawen: Can we expect a new progress report for this month/in the next few days from Eric and you? Or are you not ready for that yet?

Thanks anyway

I haven't asked Eric about that, I've just recently sent him an update with the bloom and various lighting updates. I know he has been working on South City the whole time and I'm sure he'd like to show it soon. I've got some things to finish off. Like today I am trying to get the bloom working properly in VR.

I'm guessing we won't show anything this weekend, but it would be nice if we could prepare a progress report in mid-December.
Mid-december, eh? There's a good chance I'll have my head in an oven round about that time Wink
This thread is closed

October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG