The online racing simulator
OSW notchy FFB
(9 posts, started )
OSW notchy FFB
Hello.

I am the owner of a OSW wheel.

LFS is very notchy on an OSW wheel, like a ticking or feeling of steps in forces.

iRacing ffb is 60hz update rate but it doesn't feel as bad as lfs does.

I've managed to track down the FF Step setting, if I lower this for example to 64 there's a lot less ticking, but they are of course of greater strengths.

I can't seem to go above 256 for this setting though.
Right now I'm using the reconstruction filter we have to filter out the peaks in ffb so it feels more rubbery like it did with my t300.

Interestingly, not sure if placebo or not it also feels like there's a difference in ffb between 720 degrees and 900? the 900 feels like you can feel more but it is also a lighter ffb.

Thanks in advance.
i did some more messing around. I found the value with cheat engine, it wasn't too hard as the setting doesn't move around.
Even better is that it is editable while the game is running.
With some of my resarch I found some people using 65535 for some similar settings in rfactor.
What a difference, with 0 recon filter I can barely feel the steps, there's a very fine grain now. Recon 1-2 is plenty compared to the 8 I was using before.
Thanks for pointing this out.

The input to DirectInput is a value from -10000 to 10000 so it makes sense to have a maximum value of 10000 for FF Steps.

I've now set that as the maximum and changed the default from 256 to 500, so that will be in U7.

Do you find 10000 works well?
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for pointing this out.

The input to DirectInput is a value from -10000 to 10000 so it makes sense to have a maximum value of 10000 for FF Steps.

I've now set that as the maximum and changed the default from 256 to 500, so that will be in U7.

Do you find 10000 works well?

Thanks for the reply scawen.

Yeah 10000 works quite well, it's quite a bit smoother, less reconstruction filter means the signal input is less smoothened and has less "processing" delay. Most other sims like assetto etc 1-2 is usually all that's needed and it's pretty similar now with LFS.

On the same note, I did think a bit and went to 3d/monitor view and uncapped fps. This also produced smoother wheel feel, even at 256 steps. There was a decent difference at 90fps cap or unlimited (900fps).
I remembered something about the engine either running 50hz or 100hz and tried 100/110fps cap, but it still produced different result from uncapped.
I can see why going to a very high frame rate can help get more force updates. The output is limited in a way that does depend on the frame rate. It's really old code and I'm not happy with how that works. Ideally there should be no advantage in going above 100 fps.

I think I need to make a change that allows the force output to be limited in a controllable way that does not depend on the frame rate (if the frame rate is 100 Hz or higher).

I'm thinking we need two settings.

1) FF Steps : from about 500 to 10000
2) FF Max Update Rate : from about 25 to 100 Hz

For a high end wheel like yours you would set both to the maximum and that would allow the best connection between LFS and DirectInput, if your frame rate was 100 Hz. In that case there could be an output after every physics update, if the force changed according to the available DirectInput resolution (0 to 10000).

For a lot of wheels the force outputs must be limited and I'm guessing that 500 steps and 25 Hz output may be enough, but I'll know more after I implement this.
Well it wouldn't really be an old game if something didn't depend on framerate Big grin
That would be nice, I'm in VR so forced 90fps cap, so I guess that limits the updates to 50hz?

I would guess 500 steps would be enough, my friend with a TSPC said he can't notice any ticking with his lfs, though he is also on a monitor with uncapped fps. Belt and gears do have some inherent slip+delay in ffb delivery, compared to a direct drive.
** Best answer **
I think you could set it to 100 and then you'll get a 90 Hz output. It would always output the steering torque from the last physics update.

I'm planning to add these settings to the Axes / FF tab in Options - Controls so we can see the effect more quickly.
That sounds good.
Will be awaiting U7 then Smile
OK, it's there!

OSW notchy FFB
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG