The online racing simulator
April Progress Report
(209 posts, closed, started )
Not necessary:
Quote from Scawen :I do hope the new tyre physics can be released with the new graphics, otherwise I'll have to move a copy of the old physics into the new version.

That to happen is really really unlikely. He would not want to do this out of many reasons. He would need to be hard stuck in the tyre update and like getting sick even thinking about it. At least the second point I hope he is far away from. But every developer knows these projects and tasks. Wink
I'm actually wondering if there is a webpage that shows Scawan and Eric's todo list... Once finish something just check the box :S
LOL, that will sounds like a "must-provide" list if some would find it Tongue
I hope Eric is well progressing with the placements of street lights among the tracks to brighten the night Cool, and I do really hope we see the tire physics coming with the graphic updates : it is THE thing that really matters to me Ya right ... Getting mad with locked diff Big Eye Big grin
I wish we got some news for May Shrug
still tomorrow ... or it will be next month ... Ya right
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Evolution_R : no surprise
Yeah, cus it's 1 June 2019.......

Na-na
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Evolution_R : the cake is a lie
Yeah I hope we get a report this month as well. Even if it's nothing major, the monthly reports still boost the mood nicely Smile
I am more excited to wait for an LFS progress report (even when there is "no progress report") than the release of AC competizione Big grin
LFS
... even if it is a very nice simulation. Actually, I would need GT3 cars in LFS to make a fair comparison Omg omg omg
They forgot us Schwitz ... nvm LFS forever Heart
May is dead.
isn’t it May the 32nd today ? Tilt
Hi guys, sorry but I don't think we can do a progress report every month now.

For my part I have been continuing with the lighting, and working on getting it to look right with the real time generated skies while preserving the look of the tracks.

I've looked at the albedo levels for various materials and adjusted the brightness to get the lighting right as we gradually move to a more physically based system.

I've been experimenting with a high dynamic range (HDR) render target (as an option). This involves rendering the image to a texture which uses a 16-bit floating point number for each colour channel of a pixel instead of the standard 8-bit gamma corrected integer. This has various advantages for lighting and can produce more realistic images. I've been trying some tone mapping functions that can be applied in the final post-processing stage where the HDR render target is output to 8-bit format for display on the screen.

There's more to do but not too much to talk about at the moment.
Smile I see this also as small report. No worries I will be waiting with patience. I'm sure the end result will be great as the perfectionist u are.
Wow, day/night system, real lightning, HDR. Any plans for little tyre physics test patch before you start creating Ray Tracing in refractions of light in heated outlets of exhaust gases taking into account the particulate effects of smoke after imprecise ignition caused by engine damage after bad downshifting? Tongue

Thanks for that report chief, have a good day!
Great Wink
The relatively low polygon cars will suffer from all this sumptuousness when done Big grin Uhmm
Probably, a new version, high polygon cars are in the making. Big grin
It is kinda funny to see how this "little experiment" about setting time of day has slowly turned into a "well, might as well upgrade the whole thing while I'm at it" project. Omg omg omg
Quote from three_jump :It is kinda funny to see how this "little experiment" about setting time of day has slowly turned into a "well, might as well upgrade the whole thing while I'm at it" project. Omg omg omg

This is what makes Scawen different (and stand out) from regular developers.
He doesn't like doing in a half baked but it will still work kind of way, but is always aiming for perfection.
People looking at this in a negative way, will say that it's slowing things down, etc. etc. while those that are liking a journey like this, are fully enjoying the ride and are patiently waiting for the outcome of all of this.
Keep it up Scawen, I for one, really like this journey.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :People looking at this in a negative way, will say that it's slowing things down, etc. etc. while those that are liking a journey like this, are fully enjoying the ride and are patiently waiting for the outcome of all of this.

Just to be clear, my comment was I no way intended to be negative (or come across that way). My point was that this experiment ended up becoming a bigger project than probably anticipated. It's something completly unexpected but very much welcome.

LFS has this "here is something that we like for you to enjoy" approach to me and that is something I wouldn't change for the world.
I don't mind! See you in next year. ( Assuming it takes place further along... and why not, quality stuff is quality! )

Let it be this year... let it be this year... okay, early 2020 sounds good too Big grin
This is sure to make LFS 10x more exciting then it already is!

I love what i just saw after following the link and i must say it improves the graphics a whole lot, and the lights!!!

I can't wait for these to be implemented, This excites me A LOT!
Nothing to report on so far? Big grin
This thread is closed

April Progress Report
(209 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG