The online racing simulator
Quote from racerss :...is it possible to investigate the reason as to why clicking the 'Game' tab option in the settings causes LFS to hang for the first time?

That's because of the Unicode characters. Do you get a long hang? On my computer it's just a split second.

Quote from racerss :Players above have also asked about the possibility of increasing the player limit, I think having 48 players on the track (as in 48 connections) would be awesome.

I've tested the patch and everything is working as expected (non VR features).

Thanks for the testing. We can't increase the number of players at the moment as it's a fully compatible version, just a minor update.
Hello,

the Dutch language file seems incomplete looking at its size and how it looks in game.
Thank you, I've notified Victor about that. Seems there is still a bug in the online translation page.
Quote from Scawen :No, we are several months away from the graphics update.

I was sure ... Eric is 'Westyling' the remaining things Big grin Thumbs up

No problem with T6, runs fine.
The filtered mode works great, I like it since i couldn't use rotareneg's insim version at the same time with lfslazy Big grin Also AI seems to take up less CPU after driving around with full grid. Thanks for the test patch Smile

A small question though, would it be possible to adjust the minimum filtering time to 0.05 seconds and have this option separate for cockpit and free view? It's a great way to add some "visual" cue on bumps to help recognise them easier. After a while of driving though I found the view to "bounce" around a bit too much, it might be less noticeable in VR setups but the minimum filtered setting is bit too much on standard screen setups in my opinion. I also like to race different cars with different view settings, it becomes a bit tideous to open up options to turn off the filter setting once swapping from a road car to fox, for example. Tongue
Victor is fixing the translation system and has replaced the Dutch file.

If anyone wants to use Dutch in T6 you can get it here.

Quote from nikopdr :The filtered mode works great, I like it since i couldn't use rotareneg's insim version at the same time with lfslazy Big grin Also AI seems to take up less CPU after driving around with full grid. Thanks for the test patch Smile

A small question though, would it be possible to adjust the minimum filtering time to 0.05 seconds and have this option separate for cockpit and free view?

I think it should be OK to reduce the minimum filtering time but I don't think I can do the separate saving for the custom views at this point. No real reason except that requires too many changes and I want to release tomorrow. Good suggestion though! Smile
Quote :If you select "Automatic" then the text to the left of "Automatic" will state the default vertical FOV (rounded to 1 degree).

I've got 76° in "Automatic" mode!

Feedback to online racing with 0.6T6:
Everything works fine to us! 2 different races with the Formular V8 and 5 AIs and MRT5 and 2 AIs. Driving with AI is much better then before. Thanks for that update! Thumbs up
Hello Scawen,

Since you're developing / fixing small things for this small update, may I ask something that would be really convenient for me: Having "analog steering smoothing" per controller instead of global. I frequently switch between gamepad and wheel (and sometimes both at the same time when I play in "split screen" with two instances on the same PC) so I have to change this setting each time.

Thanks. Smile
Quote from nacim :Since you're developing / fixing small things for this small update...

I'm pretty much finished now, need to get back to the graphics work. At this point I'll only fix serious issues, although your suggestion is probably good. The only thing I have on my list is to allow down to 0.05 on the view lock filter time.

I think you can achieve a reasonable result using the /settings command. Have two differently named copies of cfg.txt and set up two shortcuts something like LFS.exe /settings=cfg_1.txt

Then one can have the setup for the wheel and the other has the setup for the gamepad.
Quote from Scawen :I'm pretty much finished now, need to get back to the graphics work. At this point I'll only fix serious issues, although your suggestion is probably good. The only thing I have on my list is to allow down to 0.05 on the view lock filter time.

Sorry to ask late, but I never usually remember until it happens and this reminded me... I'm hoping it might only be a matter of changing a constant.

Is it possible to increase the gearshift debounce upper limit?

(My downshift doesn't click any more, it fires constant static when held down instead. The debounce takes care of it most of the time, but 250ms is just a tad longer than my hand sometimes lingers on the button, apparently, as I often get double downshifts if I don't concentrate on making my downshift a click instead of a squeeze).
Quote from Racon :Is it possible to increase the gearshift debounce upper limit?

Instead of that, please could you try the change in T7:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/93144

I found out the old code didn't look very good. I'm really nervous to change it this late but I can't really see the sense in the way it was coded before.

I think the problem with it was that if you held the button down longer than the debounce time, then there wasn't proper debounce when switching from on to off.

Now, the "debounce timer" is held to maximum constantly while the button is held, so it doesn't matter how long you hold down the button.

The code now has this effect:
When you release the button, you must wait "debounce time" before pressing it again.
Will do, but I'm afraid it can't be until I get home from work, around 7/8pm UK. My engines thank you in advance Smile
I tested briefly before going back to work : 40ms forces me to wait a lot when having to switch from reverse to 1st gear or the opposite. At 20ms it is working just fine (for me).
With Logitech G27.
I also have it set to 20ms but T7 still offers 20ms.
indeed, this is the setting I have used in T7 to have something working 'normally' Smile
Thanks for the testing.

I do think the new system needs shorter debounce time.

I think I'll reduce the minimum to 10ms and default to 20ms.
Hello everyone,
I want to report some fonts issues where the characters are displayed narrower than they should be and some other issues in general. From my understanding, this was supposed to be fixed in 6T2, but I digress.

First minor issue is the screenshot save path that is displayed wrong in Japanese and Korean language.

Second minor issue is this one. Just a few examples.

We are supposed to see 'VIII', but don't.
This issue is present in the following fonts :
  • Gadugi
  • Leelawadee UI
  • Lucida Sans Code
  • Microsoft Sans Serif
  • Nirmala UI
  • Nirmala UI Semilight
  • Segoe UI
  • Segoe UI Light
  • Segoe UI Semibold
  • Segoe UI Semilight
  • Tahoma
  • SimSun-ExtB
  • Ebrima
  • MingLiU-ExtB
  • PMingLiU-ExtB
  • MingLiU_HKSCS-ExtB
End of report.
Thanks for the report.

About the screenshot save, the currency symbols appearing in place of backslash is because that message is displayed in the selected language's codepage, and those characters occupy the backslash slot. It's fairly simple to fix but actually because it can be displayed in the "temporary message" slot in game, which doesn't yet have a codepage specifier, it's just a bit too complicated for today.

On the extra wide characters being truncated, that is expected and there is an explanation here on the November progress report thread:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1942922#post1942922

The thing that was fixed is that characters which were not too wide were also messed up in some cases, and it looked wrong in a different way:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1942787#post1942787
Thanks! The new gearshift debounce works beautifully with my crackly switch - I'm able to get the value down from 250 to 100 now, and can drag my finger for as long as I do when I'm not conscious of it without any double-shifts. No more excuses on the track Smile
Great, thanks!

Thanks to you all for the testing, it seems a pretty good little update.
Minor fixes
Quote from Scawen :That's because of the Unicode characters. Do you get a long hang? On my computer it's just a split second.

1-2seconds, shouldn't be of a priority but something that can be enhanced Smile.

--

Also since you're updating the gearbox's code, there's this little issue (it's really minor but something that can be looked at), while LFS auto gear shifter is shifting up/down and the user hits the shift up / shift down keys, the car goes to first gear or reverse.

Here's a demo (at 0:05): https://youtu.be/JFhvP1fbo-8

Possible cause: The auto gear shifter goes through neutral gear to transition from 1st gear to 2nd, when the player gives LFS input in that little timespan, the issue in the demo happens. Perhaps ignoring the given input as LFS goes through the shift up / downshift phase could fix this.

Hope I've explained this well.
Quote from racerss :Also since you're updating the gearbox's code, there's this little issue (it's really minor but something that can be looked at), while LFS auto gear shifter is shifting up/down and the user hits the shift up / shift down keys, the car goes to first gear or reverse.

Ah, this is what Wizard was describing in the main forum. Thanks for your explanation.

I understand this is an older issue, not made worse by the test patch, and I think it will have physics compatibility implications and should be looked at when I am working on the physics.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG