The online racing simulator
Remove LX4's spare wheel
(47 posts, started )
Quote from mrbogeyman :remember they are still road going cars, so i doubt people would strip their interiors all the time. caterhams are pretty sparse anyway!

@bobvanvliet: its Eric who does the cars.

I wasn't talking about the LX with the stripped interiors, more the GTRs, which just seem stupid. As for road legal racing cars the vast majority are stripped down for racing and very few are actually used on the road.
Quote from ajp71 :I wasn't talking about the LX with the stripped interiors, more the GTRs, which just seem stupid. As for road legal racing cars the vast majority are stripped down for racing and very few are actually used on the road.

oh right, well thats fairly obvious GTRs have never had a interior made for them anyway, it is just a straight copy from the road going version.
Quote from mrbogeyman :@bobvanvliet: its Eric who does the cars.

Oop. Of course. Kind of a typo, had been reading a thread where victor had posted some stuff.
I got rid of the spare and the support brackets on my real Caterham SV (1300lb car, 250hp 4 cylinder 2.3 liter Ford Duratec engine):

caterham pics
Quote from Vain :Because no one likes 5-cylinder motors.

Vain

I do! Audi Quattro Sport goodness
Quote from JeffR :I got rid of the spare and the support brackets on my real Caterham SV (1300lb car, 250hp 4 cylinder 2.3 liter Ford Duratec engine):

caterham pics

Now, JeffR, that is one sweet car!

I can only dream!

But, I would say that is very comparable to the LX6.

How do you think LFS measures up?
Quote from mrbogeyman :How do you think LFS measures up?

LX6 has less power and is harder to drive, but so would my Caterham if I couldn't feel the forces in the car. The Caterham recovers from oversteer almost on it's own, unlike the LX6, but this could be setup / tire / differential issue. First gear is tall, 62mph at redline, and this is the first car I've owned where I can get lift throttle oversteer (mostly because first gear is tall enough I can be going fast enough for this to happen).
Further to this suggestion I think when you take the top off the LX cars the windscreen should change to the smaller wind deflectors that are generally used when racing all manner of super7 clones. Tonneau covers for the passenger side would also be nice as they are regularly used to also decrease drag.
Great idea!

This would lead to a full field of LXs looking even cooler than they do already.
It's true that everyone that wants the result of "fast as possible" would usally take out the spare wheel, as you don't care if there's one on a race-track.

At this point, fanboys will make their entry saying that it's not a race car. illepall
It is funny too. The spare tire on the LX4 pretty much DOES need to come off because we currently have a bug where the wheel on the back does not move in conjunction with the body when the rearend is damaged, it just floats. There really is no point in having it, I agree, but I guess it is the only most noticeable difference from the LX4 and the LX6. But I still would prefer the wheel off

:up:
Quote from tailing :Further to this suggestion I think when you take the top off the LX cars the windscreen should change to the smaller wind deflectors that are generally used when racing all manner of super7 clones. Tonneau covers for the passenger side would also be nice as they are regularly used to also decrease drag.

Windscreens aren't street legal, so that is why I have to use the windshield. I've read that in California, you can't wear a helmet in a car, even though the ratio of head related deaths in cars is higher than the head related deaths on motorcycles (more internal injury related deaths on bikes).
Quote from JeffR :Windscreens aren't street legal, so that is why I have to use the windshield. I've read that in California, you can't wear a helmet in a car, even though the ratio of head related deaths in cars is higher than the head related deaths on motorcycles (more internal injury related deaths on bikes).

Hmmm I wonder if we will ever be allowed to have that Volkswagen GX3 in the US then. I guess they don't allow helmets in cars because it makes people think they are racing But I guess people listening to music with their iPods and earbuds while driving is safer :zombie:
Quote from Tweaker :Hmmm I wonder if we will ever be allowed to have that Volkswagen GX3 in the US then. I guess they don't allow helmets in cars because it makes people think they are racing But I guess people listening to music with their iPods and earbuds while driving is safer :zombie:

When I first looked at that car it looked like a decent brutal machine but then this picture makes it look like a happy happy frog.

But I guess the LXs will change before S2 finish or at least the skinning models...
I think the LXs should be put on aeroscreens, a large number of Caterhams don't even have full windscreens on the road. The only cars racing with full windscreens will be in classes where the regs state that production windscreens have to be used, which aren't that common as they cause problems in the wet because these cars tend to have fairly comical wipers and stone chips from flying gravel is a nightmare.

Quote from JeffR :Windscreens aren't street legal, so that is why I have to use the windshield.

They're legal in the UK. Since aero screens were banned from the class we race the Morgan in we put it on aeroscreens to get it through the MOT due to the chips on the windscreen.
Quote from JeffR :Windscreens aren't street legal, so that is why I have to use the windshield. I've read that in California, you can't wear a helmet in a car, even though the ratio of head related deaths in cars is higher than the head related deaths on motorcycles (more internal injury related deaths on bikes).

Similar to what ajp71 said here in Oz wind deflectors are legal afaik and most that race competitively use them. I guess it all comes down to whether the LX's in LFS are road going cars having a day on the track where the wheel and windscreen should stay or if they're more race orientated where the wheel would be removed and wind deflectors and tonneau covers used.
Quote from tailing :Similar to what ajp71 said here in Oz wind deflectors are legal afaik and most that race competitively use them. I guess it all comes down to whether the LX's in LFS are road going cars having a day on the track where the wheel and windscreen should stay or if they're more race orientated where the wheel would be removed and wind deflectors and tonneau covers used.

That's just it. My initial point was that even when they're road-cars having a track-day, you would remove the spare wheel for the duration of that day because it's such a small effort.

Additionally, you would put cool looking tape crosses over the headlights (I guess to avoid shards of glass in a crash). I would love to have them in LFS aswell.
I apologize anyone who is getting disturbed of replying 13 years old thread. But as we know, threads related to LFS content does't get old so quick as we think Smile

I am little bit surprised, that LX6's rear is still more heavy than LX4's one, even it lacks the spare tyre. If we compare the total mass and weight distribution of those cars, LX4 rear weights 269,5kg while LX6 weights 280,3kg. How does anyone explain that?

Does this mean the weight of the spare tyre is 0kg? And LX6 is heavier just because of wider rear tyres?
Some more powerful models may have the battery at the back for room space issues or to get a better weight distribution for traction.
It is the case on my c63 w204 : seems that all models get the battery in the front, and the amg has it in the back. Almost 30kg in my case Big grin
The majority of the LX6's extra mass likely comes from the larger engine, but it also has larger wheels and tyres. FWIW, the LX6's center of mass is 2% farther forward.
Just an option for putting spare wheel on/off and we are good to go.

Remove LX4's spare wheel
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG