The online racing simulator
Should I download Firefox?
(40 posts, started )
http://www.deepnetexplorer.com
Never had any spyware, popups, malware etc etc since I started using this. Great web browser that has loads of cool features. Beats Firefox any day for me... but I guess everyone has different preferences
Nice little IE mod there. Not liking the fact it opens a new tab when I enter an address in the address bar though.
Opera ftw!
Yes, just about anything is better than IE
Tabbed browsing! cant live without it.

IE might have it now, I don't know. Used both opera and firefox, stuck with firefox as I'd spent so much time getting it just the way I want it. I'm sure I could do the same with opera.
Tabs rule! I've always hated having to muck about with a dozen open windows using IE.

I switch between Opera and Firefox atm. For a while I was just using Firefox but now and then, for a reason I can't discover, it freaks and crashes - and when it does, all my friggin bookmarks vanish! WTF? It could be that my PC is old and crap, but this started happening way back when my PC was ninj4. Oh well.

Currently the only thing I don't like about Opera is that you can't set multiple home pages like with Firefox. Apart from that it's the bomb. Either way, I'd kick IE to the kerb if I were you. I have to use it at work everyday, and every day I'm reminded why I hate it.
#32 - avih
Quote from Hankstar :Tabs rule! I've always hated having to muck about with a dozen open windows using IE.

I switch between Opera and Firefox atm. For a while I was just using Firefox but now and then, for a reason I can't discover, it freaks and crashes - and when it does, all my friggin bookmarks vanish! WTF? It could be that my PC is old and crap, but this started happening way back when my PC was ninj4. Oh well.

Currently the only thing I don't like about Opera is that you can't set multiple home pages like with Firefox. Apart from that it's the bomb. Either way, I'd kick IE to the kerb if I were you. I have to use it at work everyday, and every day I'm reminded why I hate it.

?? bahh, that sounds really bad (vanishing bookmarks). I've had firefox crash occasionally (not recently though), but I always use it with like 20 tabs open, loading and scrolling... i make it work hard . anyway, i've never heard of the "vanishing bookmarks" issue before, and i'm somewhat involved with firefox (you can even get an extension i've written by following my singature). I suggest to copy your bookmarks file somewhere, delete the profile directory, and start with a fresh install. I really think the bookbark issue will not return, or else it's a Data-Loss bug (highest severity) which's still open...
It could just be my ancient PC, because it's happened more than once over the last coupla years but I'll do what you suggested and see what happens :up:
It may be because the firefox process is still active and it doesn't recognise correctly the user. Try looking in task manager to see if the firefox process still exists when something like that happens. If so, kill it and restart firefox.
Anyway it could be something different, especially if the bookmarks don't appear again after a reboot.
#35 - J.B.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Speed: Opera>IE>Firefox
Customization: Firefox>Opera>IE
Security: Firefox=>Opera>IE
Stability: IE>Opera>Firefox
CPU and RAM friendliness IE>Opera>>Firefox

My edits in red.

So basically I think FF is, slow, crashes too often and uses WAY too much CPU and RAM but I love it for the extensions. (including avih's)
I think the choise between Opera and Firefox is just what you want and how you want it. There is no use of making comparisons between those two as the comparisons start always with the "my browser is the better one". I use both.

I just like the Opera better, like some like IE or firefox (or netscape )
Quote from J.B. :uses WAY too much CPU and RAM

I can run LFS with 5 tabs open in FF.
#38 - J.B.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I can run LFS with 5 tabs open in FF.

The highest ammount of RAM usage I've seen on my machine is 600 MB. And I can't use FF to browse while I am using my TV card to record something. The CPU spikes when opening or closing tabs make the recording stutter. None of these problems with IE.

But yeah, LFS won't mind since it doesn't need a lot of RAM.

Edit: I just tried a few things using perfmon: loading saved tabs using Tab Mix Plus can use over 90% CPU, opening an empty tab uses 50%. (2.5 GHz Opteron)
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Ahem.

Interesting read. Call me impressionable, but I'm going to try out "Opera." Personally I've been using Firefox very happily for quite sometime though. It was certainly an improvement over IE6, though I must say even IE7 looks pretty slick (My girlfriend uses that).
I use Opera and like it a little more than FireFox.

Should I download Firefox?
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG