The online racing simulator
Where LFS is going?
(241 posts, closed, started )
it doesn't matter how much content there is or what the graphics look like, theres always going to be people who get sick of the new stuff and then want more, and its never going to stop, its just a loop. people just want more, and more and more.
I'm actually quit happy with the way LFS is right now. I like the graphics, love the physics and the haven't over done it on the content, but if LFS want to get more people playing it that's what there going to have to do. other wise slowly but shorly its going to die(sadly).
Quote from JohnT2005 :I'm actually quit happy with the way LFS is right now. I like the graphics, love the physics and the haven't over done it on the content, but if LFS want to get more people playing it that's what there going to have to do. other wise slowly but shorly its going to die(sadly).

It is like it is cpu's gpu's get better most games use that power so also games get better Shrug

But I really think lfs should be easier to find on google or bing. Try to find it without words LFS or LIVE FOR SPEED.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/92817-Search-on-google
Been away for a couple of years. Were the tyre physics updated in the end?
the tire physics havnt really got any where yet. still, i keep my hopes up
I think we are closer than ever to the new tire physics!
thats why fonts are being kerned and sharpened for weeks, seems logical.. No.
Quote from The_Great :thats why fonts are being kerned and sharpened for weeks, seems logical.. No.

I has to be done in case you bear in mind final picture. The priorities are questionable, but it's still progress and in correct direction.
I started playing grand tourismo 6 for a wile and its all right in some ways. but every driving/racing sim I play I always find my self back at lfs. its that good. I never get board of it. I think its the LEGENDARY physics which are spot on. and that's something very other sim gets wrong. along with you do the driving and not all these stupid difficulty setting and the grip levels on the track. or the one I hate the most" steering assist"!! lfs is free of that which is why I play it every single day.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Been away for a couple of years. Were the tyre physics updated in the end?

Still tyre physics pretty much okay. Think only supers and mostly R's need badly update.
But thats just me comparing with other sims Smile
since the tire physics are so difficult on the German car, why dont they just copy some of the tire physics of another sim with the car, then just make improvements where they need to be made.
Quote from JohnT2005 :since the tire physics are so difficult on the German car, why dont they just copy some of the tire physics of another sim with the car, then just make improvements where they need to be made.

Quote from DataFi :IF i remember right the VW is waiting for the new tire physics.

The problem are not the tire physics for the car. It simply was decided to hold back the release of the Scirocco until the new tire physics are finished and releasable. It is many moons since discussing these topics with Dom, but if I remember correctly there is one physics engine for all cars, unlike iRacing e.g. where every car has pretty much its own.
There also exists a version, I believe, where the VWS was drivable, but it was restricted to some fairs/events, just like Rockingham was before release.
Quote from Evolution_R :I think we are closer than ever to the new tire physics!

Do you? Because I have waited for 1 car and these supposed "tire physics" since 2007-2008. Nothing is funny anymore and people here have the right to complain just as much as people have the right to somehow defend this development ethic. A whole lot of people play other sims and games a lot more than lfs, they just arent here to tell you because they no longer care. Lets be real.

But, ill still always be here, waiting, hoping, drinking, dying.
i dont see why the vws physics are so difficult, because the FBM/BF1 are both real cars yet the tire physics are fine, and it took the team a lot quicker to do those than the vw.
Let's just agree that this 10 year delay is the biggest joke of the century. This game could be so much more, sadly it isn't and it won't be.
Quote from TFalke55 :The problem are not the tire physics for the car. It simply was decided to hold back the release of the Scirocco until the new tire physics are finished and releasable. It is many moons since discussing these topics with Dom, but if I remember correctly there is one physics engine for all cars, unlike iRacing e.g. where every car has pretty much its own.
There also exists a version, I believe, where the VWS was drivable, but it was restricted to some fairs/events, just like Rockingham was before release.

Quote from JohnT2005 :i dont see why the vws physics are so difficult, because the FBM/BF1 are both real cars yet the tire physics are fine, and it took the team a lot quicker to do those than the vw.

It is not about the physics for just the Scirocco, it is about new physics for all cars.
Quote from JohnT2005 :since the tire physics are so difficult on the German car, why dont they just copy some of the tire physics of another sim with the car, then just make improvements where they need to be made.

eee... I guess you have absolutely no idea how these things work in simulator? It's not predefined table or something what you can *copy* from somewhere. You set up few basic parameters of the tire, and then the simulation yields *some* results, and then you eventually somewhat tweak those parameters to get somewhat more reasonable responses from simulation, but if the simulation is wrong in it's principle (like LFS), then the produced results will be skewed off, no matter how much you tweak the parameters.

I'm aware there are some "simulators" based more on table data instead of pure simulation (like ISI engine generally), where you can tweak the behaviour lot more than in LFS, so while they may have similar or worse underlying pure simulation, the final result is more "real" on average, as the pure simulation is used more like just interpolation between table data. But LFS is on the path of quite pure simulation trying to grasp real physics (formulae based), instead of table data based physics.

Which makes "copying" from other sims impossible, without replacing whole physics simulation in LFS.

Hmm... thinking about VWS particularly, there's probably even more problem to that, IIRC the problem was not as much about resulting values like temperature/grip levels of the tires, but more like whole dynamics/feel of the tire, which pretty much invalidates my previous paragraphs, because then even table-based data wouldn't help LFS, if some "interpolating" simulation underneath would still produce wrong dynamics/feel.

Anyway, as Eric wrote once, the new tire physics *feels* much better, so let's hope he's sensitive real world driver and the "better feel" is actually real step forward toward simulation and not just his subjective "gamer" preference...

"I think we are closer than ever to the new tire physics!" - well, that is obviously factual true in any moment between start of the work, and release (or even if the release would never happen)... Big grin
Current tire physics is containing several flaws that need to be cheaten with setup to have something almost good. A good example, use force view with a FWD, you will see that when turning the inside wheel is leaving the ground. Workaround is to stiffen the front ARB and block the LSD => not very true in real Wink

The term used by Eric was "visceral" Big grin I'm ready for the visceral effect Thumbs up
Quote from klbbadd2002 :Do you? Because I have waited for 1 car and these supposed "tire physics" since 2007-2008. Nothing is funny anymore and people here have the right to complain just as much as people have the right to somehow defend this development ethic....

It is not a coincidence that the developers are updating graphics and all tracks - this move is a sign for something bigger. So I think this means the new physics are almost ready for release.
It is because they do not want to use "a table data" simulation intead of a "pure, formula based" simulation. And this is where the current physics become wrong - when you input the physics engine with "real" data.
Well,it's not like whole physics system is wrong,just a part (obviously most complex) is not accurate enough. I recall devs stating that applying VW's driving aids (TC,stability control and other crap people need to survive their awful driving skills these days) to Scirocco's LFS model caused them to function wrong,where main reason was tyre behaviour. I cannot quote that directly,but I recall something in these lines as a reason for the extended journey in tyre physics world.
Yes, I think so.
why dont they just go to the top gear test track with the car, get some data points like acceleration, braking, distances and get to know how the car should feel and how it goes
This thread is closed

Where LFS is going?
(241 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG