The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Life has to be about doing the things you like to do, not wasting money on expensive crap to show off to other fools.

More people need to live like this. This is my general view on life as well.

It's better to get paid less for something you love than get paid more for something you hate.
how come we dont see responses from any other devs? (within lfs, only scawen?)
Quote from bdog922 :how come we dont see responses from any other devs? (within lfs, only scawen?)

Scawen is the only programmer of LFS, so he knows the most about the programming side of the game. Then there's Eric, the track/car artist, and Victor takes care of the websites.
Indeed, so Eric, what is going on currently ? Petals Heart LFS
what you need?

mhmm... begin with.... Lust for Speed.... Uhmm
#31 - Eric
Quote from Flotch :Indeed, so Eric, what is going on currently ? Petals Heart LFS

Flotch, thanks for your interest and involvement for over nearly 2 decades of LFS, .......but this ain't the progress report thread Smile

I Don't normally offer advice or replies about graphics because it's self-explanatory, in my opinion.

To add to Scawens answer about making a racing simulator on the graphics side of things, laser scanning of real tracks and real cars modeled from the original 3D CAD data or 3DS Max meshes will produce the quickest and most accurate results for generating content.

Quality fictional content will take longer to produce because of the design element involved. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

Custom texture work is essential and is also very time consuming, so get yourself a couple of good texture artists.
I'm still interested because it is brilliant, thanks to people involved in doing great things, and not giving up !
So, thank you Wink Thumbs up
And as you suggest, do not hesitate to go onto some progress report thread existing, or create your own, to share whatever you feel interesting ^^

Marino108 : I guess you can have your plans up to date now Petals
Quote from Flotch :And as you suggest, do not hesitate to go onto some progress report thread existing, or create your own, to share whatever you feel interesting ^^

To add to this - if you don't want people to start spamming under a post(s) you create about progress, a great idea would be a locked thread where only you (devs overall) could post. I'm pretty sure the majority would be very thrilled to read some insights even if they are very minor Hug
Quote from Scawen :For me, having a good life and plenty of free time to do the things I like is far more important than being rich. If being rich was a high priority there are many other jobs I could have done, and probably would have had to work 9 to 10 hours a day and only have a few holidays a year. But what's the point in that? So I could wear a fancy watch or clothes with logos on them so other people would be impressed? I don't get it. Life has to be about doing the things you like to do, not wasting money on expensive crap to show off to other fools.

Hard to do motorsport if you aren't rich though?

I am very sympathetic tyo your statement, but couldn't help myself. Cool Smile
Another thing I would say to anyone developing any kind of Sim/Game/application, and this is from experience of a semi-failed dev cycle for a sim (not racing but principals apply), if you develop a sim and there are some stand out elements, as soon as the other elements are workable, but not exceptional, release a free version, let people experience it.

Even if there's not a lot of content, it will enable you to get peoples' attention if you have a sim that let's say, does realistic damage, but the tire physics model is using some off the shelf bit of code, that can be updated over the next updates. Once you nail the content generation pipeline then start whacking out the content.

Main thing is just getting the sim's name out there, building up the community and whilst you're refining elements, update as regularly as you can without burning yourself out.

One of the biggest lessons I learnt was that just because a sim doesn't look like the latest big budget version out there, it doesn't matter if it never get's released as there is nothing to show for the hard work.

Hope that helps, I have to admit writing this has been rather cathartic!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG