The online racing simulator
D-SiS: minioval, my first layout...
(36 posts, started )
Edit: even newer version below, see https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1930986#post1930986

It might not be as great as UM's or Nova's, but I thought I could share my first layout... (well, second actually, my first attempt was "blue flag horror" at rockingham, if you're interested... ;-) )

... South City Minioval!
including the weirdest pit entry I could come up with ...

Should work fine, but considered beta, any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Suggested cars: slower road cars, e.g. UF1, XFG. Race cars (FOX, FBM) are more challenging.
Attached images
lfs_00000001.jpg
Attached files
SO6X_minioval_beta.lyt - 2.9 KB - 1049 views
#2 - lucaf
Looks very interesting Smile
Interesting!!!

EDIT: How about banked corners and that pitlane hairpin turn, put it a bit further, so BF1 can also steer, in case that will be used.

This kinda reminds my layout, as I have done one also, but never released it due so many bugs and "hidden" walls, so I simply putted it on hiatus and moved to another layout...

...speaking of layouts, I have too many layouts required to done. hm... hmmm... Are you willing to improve your minioval? if so, Excellent!

if not, can I have permission to edit it out?

Nice layout for following reasons:

Made by new guy
The 2nd corner is pretty narrow, suitable for slow and small cars.
It is on South City ( Although I dislike SO area in overall, doing some layouts and using them there are great, although actual making is kinda pain in a butt due hitboxes )

What are required?

Both corners having bankings, as alternative, making it actual super minioval
Pitlane must be reached further section to the junction for having wider turning radius ( so BF1 can do it as well! )
Thanks guys Smile really happy about the feedback!

UM, please feel free to modify/extend/do whatever you want with it, looking forward to see the results! Indeed after seeing some of your layouts today I thought about banked turns, but I will likely be too busy during the next weeks to work on that.

Problem with banked turns might be the fixed tire stacks, so the entire oval would be rather high, but it could be possible.

+1 on the wider pit entry and later U-turn.
This looks real fun, could work amazingly for a demolition derby type race, there's an idea!
Quote from versis :Thanks guys Smile really happy about the feedback!

UM, please feel free to modify/extend/do whatever you want with it, looking forward to see the results! Indeed after seeing some of your layouts today I thought about banked turns, but I will likely be too busy during the next weeks to work on that.

Problem with banked turns might be the fixed tire stacks, so the entire oval would be rather high, but it could be possible.

+1 on the wider pit entry and later U-turn.

Excellent! I will put on my list, unless you manage to do it first.

Or even better, let's make both our own versions and then let's compare them Tongue!
Well well... after UM's comments I felt quite motivated to work on this, postponed a couple of things and started from scratch... so there we are:

South City Minioval Version 2!
  • banked turns Ya right
  • even weirder pit entry, using actual pits Nod
  • banking optimised to make UF1 inside and outside lap times similar Thumbs up
  • some styling added Petals

Beta in a sense that the levels of the banking could be a little smoother. But good fun so far. Enjoy!
Btw I still haven't figured out why hotlapping sometimes says hotlap invalid, wrong direction... Shrug
Attached images
minioval-total.jpg
minioval-closeup.jpg
minioval-pits.jpg
Attached files
SO6X_minioval-v2-beta.lyt - 6.6 KB - 513 views
Beauty! Gotta try it in this weekend!

EDIT: Excellent work! have to make mine soon!
Thanks for your praise UM Hug

Since you have much more experience with layouts, what would it take to use this on servers, e.g., for RTFR XL? Ya right Big grin

I've noticed that without layouting grid positions, I am placed on P1 of the original layout, and pits work too, but there's no speed limit in pits. Other than that, do you have to do something for airio to work properly?
That looks nice and fun, how about LFS Bangers, don't they race on similar ovals?
Quote from versis :Thanks for your praise UM Hug

Since you have much more experience with layouts, what would it take to use this on servers, e.g., for RTFR XL? Ya right Big grin

I've noticed that without layouting grid positions, I am placed on P1 of the original layout, and pits work too, but there's no speed limit in pits. Other than that, do you have to do something for airio to work properly?

there is speed limit working if no additional pitboxes added.

Not sure about airio, I guess it is simply similar method as everywhere else, just simply adding to database and adding to track pool or something.

Indeed that pitlane is one of the greatest thing made ever I have experienced.

EDIT: The praise is earned. Banked corners are smooth and things added to track, such as cones, gives some detailed atmosphere/background, but indeed the most amazing thing is that pitlane. It's exit goes under the track and gives vision to drive on tunnel.
Looks a bit too big for bangers Wink Looks like great fun, I shall definitely be having a play around with it, but our banger circuits are about 15 seconds per lap and comparatively narrow.
Quote from versis :what would it take to use this on servers, e.g., for RTFR XL?

For RTFR XL it's simple - win it,pick it. Big grin Of course car has to be apropriate...
Quote from Eclipsed :For RTFR XL it's simple - win it,pick it. Big grin Of course car has to be apropriate...

hmmmmmm.....!
I'd say UF1. Will be close racing. Or BF1, if you want to kill everybody. Tongue
I'd make it go anti-clockwise as that is the way ovals normally are.
Quote from k_badam :I'd make it go anti-clockwise as that is the way ovals normally are.

Yes.
Good suggestion badam. Currently that would mean starting towards a sharp left turn into pits xD - I have some improvements going on, including a later end of the banked turns (currently it's fairly easy to hit the wall, especially after T2 when the track goes flat again). I'll have a look what needs to be done for a reverse configuration.
Quote from versis :Good suggestion badam. Currently that would mean starting towards a sharp left turn into pits xD - I have some improvements going on, including a later end of the banked turns (currently it's fairly easy to hit the wall, especially after T2 when the track goes flat again). I'll have a look what needs to be done for a reverse configuration.

Please, if possible, keep that damn tunnel part!

EDIT: Or simply extend.... oh yeah, can't because there is that damn tire wall there.... hmmmm
There we go, beta 2 is ready, updates:
  • reverse direction, as in a usual oval
  • banked turns extend into the straights
  • highlighted walls for the straights
  • additional scenery
  • additional cones etc for pitlane
  • the damn tunnel part is still there Big grin

Will be happy to address further suggestions.
Attached files
SO6X_minioval-v2-beta2.lyt - 8.2 KB - 664 views
ooohhh.... I might get goosebumps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it is amazing...

but uh-oh... all of sudden, this makes me feel the track is either on too high or corners have not enough banking, which it causes this sign to lie in middle of racing line.

hmmm, it is still beta

I suggest to make it more faster, not much required, but at least step-up more banking. Tongue ( Or, if possible, try to get rid off from that bloody sign... because this track is high quality for sure! )

EDIT: I will look results... inspire me!
Attached images
lfs_00000006.jpg
I know, that bloody sign... unfortunately I can't remove it in the editor, so either I have to raise the entire track (lots of effort, won't do this) or reduce the width of the back straight (difficult because this is also where the pit entry is, and it would need like 4-5m to clear that sign, so I won't do this either).

Moving T1 further outside isn't an option. The only approach I could think of is introducing a "dip" at the end of T1, so T1 goes downhill and the back straight goes uphill. Not sure if that's any easier to do, but it might work.

Currently the car sits at ~2.6m with about 0.75m of clearance. A typical car would need about 0.5m of additional clearance, so that might be possible.
Could you just make a "dip" in the pitlane there so the cars drive under the sign? As in lower the slabs and put ramps down at that area to form like a valley. Or just make a small hill over the sign lol
Good Idea, but makes things harder in further in case drastic changes happens.

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG