The online racing simulator
Online everyone REALLY Laggy!
(35 posts, started )
Hi, I just recently bought Live For Speed, I've been Sim Driving for 5 to 6 years now and I've never incounted this problem.
So my problem is when Im online everyone is really twitchy and julty well mainly lagging. I've never seen this before in a game. In Assetto Corsa, I can tandem with people from the whole over world and Still have awesome lines. Even in rFactor its fine. ALSO for other people I seem perfectly fine, Im not lagging at all!

Is there anyway to fix this because I feel like just leaving this game when Ive only got a couple hours on it! :/

Thanks guys,
Smilez
So you want to join people -all over the world- from Australia?

You know this is technologically impossible don't you? Otherwise you need some basic network lessons first. Most servers are based in Europe at the moment (you are now on a Russian server), it's not possible for somebody from Australia to join an European server without lag. No matter what game title. If you cannot understand this you can better leave this sim yes.
No there is no solution and i think u also have it in assetto and rfactor but there cars don't disapear but they are warping.

Only solution stick to servers near by
ehhh I just dont understand how Ive got such good connection on rFactor and Assetto from servers all around the world!
When I play Assetto I see players from south america warp a lot and I really hate that close racing is impossible then.
A NZ perspective.

Unfortunatly LFS on Aus servers is nearly dead, and this is really sad for someone who has been racing LFS for as long as I have been.

Sadly, owing to the update cycle that seems to work on a geological time scale, most racers in Australasia have moved to other racing sims.

The good news is that the Devs are promising that the 10 year tyre physics update is being worked on, so that's a positive..........

However, We are still awaiting any actual time period for this.

There is still some European racing but owing to distance from NZ and lag it's pointless trying to join these races as lag is extreme to say the least.

I really wish I could be more positive but due to the previous 10 years of work on tyre physics with no update time table, test dates, or in fact any material update to the sim, other than Rockingham (which the Devs require payment for), and some graphics updates to pre-existing tracks the game, which was once the leader of racing sim's, is now 10 years behind current gen sims.

That's not to say is it's a bad sim, in many ways it's still very good. However, the 10 years of work on the one update has led to the death of LFS online racing in Australasia.

I'm sure that all of us still on this forum are eagerly awaiting the long anticipated tyre physics release and are awaiting future updates to the game which will hopefully bring LFS back to life as "The online racing simulator" that the Dev's claim it is on the web page, because at the present time in Australasia, LFS online racing is dead.........
No, I went on a JAP server (on AC) and it was impossible to tandem. Same with AUS servers - the ping is way too high (around 350 for me) and it just doesn't work, it doesn't. Not possible.
#8 - lucaf
Check out Digital Rainbow servers in LFS, they are in Australia and very nice people racing there (not many but..)

It may be also depend on days, sometimes I lag on Digital RB servers much, and sometimes I can almost forget I'm on australian server, doing close racing with locals (when I say close, is not as close as pro drives do Smile).
https://www.lfs.net/forum/226-Aussie-Monday-Night-Racing-League

Yes,
Quote from lucaf :Check out Digital Rainbow servers in LFS, they are in Australia and very nice people racing there (not many but..)

Online gaming relies on X number of people wanting to play a game, sim racing in this case, so when you go online there are Y number of people who are wanting to play the game (LFS in this case) at a specific time.

It's great to see that Scrawen has spent the last 2 weeks on sorting out a multiplayer lan setup, shame the rest of the player base is STILL waiting for the long (10 Years and counting) update to tyre physics, apparently due to a (now out of date and updated by the car maker VW) play issue due to front wheel drive.

We have had a VR update, shame VR is about as dead as LFS in the gaming world, the current buzz is 'Augmented reality', I can hardly wait for that update.

LFS boasts that you can use a 'potato' as your processor and LFS will still work, shame the requirements for VR are far higher.

FFS, just release the f##@ing update so the large number of players who actually want to play this f***ing game in this part of the world, with a VIABLE user base can play this "THE online racing simulator" that the developers STILL claim that it is, with a growing player base that will in fact earn the Dev's the money to pay for future updates.

Yes, a pointless post as updates will happen "sometime" and Scrawen is clearly far more focused on "Z" ATM.

I'd just suggest that they change the webpage to "An online racing simulator, Caution, it may not function in your region" as being a more correct statement.

After all, there is a requirement in most countries to be "honest" in advertising your product, and LFS is currently in clear breach of NZ law.......
Quote from Smilez101 :... when Im online everyone is really twitchy and julty well mainly lagging...

Check the ping already in server listing? If it's under like 100ms and stable over several refreshes of list, it should be playable, but not true close racing.. under like 30ms is usually good enough for quite close action. Around 200-300ms you have already to compensate and guess where everything will be and not worth it.. Also the ping to server is one thing, and ping between players another, so even if you have good ping to server and some players, others may still lag to you.

I don't think there's particular network problem, or not obvious one, because if you would have like UDP blocked, you wouldn't see other players updating at all, till you would switch to TCP. You may still do that out of curiosity, it should make the lagging somewhat worse, but in case the UDP packets are very unreliably delivered to you, TCP may actually make it somewhat better.

You may want to check these to better diagnose which part of communication is lagging for you most and whether it's just everything slow on average (physically implicated by your distance, unless you move, there's not much to do about it, even light travels only so fast), or there's some additional problems with your PC/OS/ISP/...

https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Display#Latency.2FLag_bars
FFS, Your insanely lucky to get a ping less than 500 in Australasia to ANY Euro/American/ANY server.

It's not our local domestic issue, it's the fact of distance, we are many, many km away from the servers. Often Telco's here use satellites because these work for phone communications and there are not the cable circuits owing to the changes in IT over the last few years.

To game online here, you need local servers, but, without the local player base, the game dies.As has LFS.

Any online game here requires a viable player number, and as LFS has resisted updating itself for 10 years, the gamer base has moved on to games that do update.

Still, I'm sure that the Dev's do care about those of us that did /do buy this game and are working full time on releasing the update.... Nod
Quote from Racer X NZ :and as LFS has resisted updating itself for 10 years, the gamer base has moved on to games that do update.

Why not try and stick to the facts, instead of making up things that aren't true and stating them as facts.

Quote from Racer X NZ :Still, I'm sure that the Dev's do care about those of us that did /do buy this game and are working full time on releasing the update.... Nod

Yes, we are, but obviously you are insinuating that we are not.

I suggest you take a break, make sure you are signed up for LFS newsletters. We send one usually once or twice a year when we do an update.

That's the purpose of the email, so you can go and have fun with all the other things that life has to offer, then when we have an update you can come and give it a go. Unusually compared with other businesses, we give you free updates so you'll be able to come and have a go without it costing you anything.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from Racer X NZ :Still, I'm sure that the Dev's do care about those of us that did /do buy this game and are working full time on releasing the update.... Nod

Yes, we are, but obviously you are insinuating that we are not.

To be clear, we are working towards an update.

I've said it many times recently. So many times, I am getting bored of hearing these words ringing in my head when I type this. We are working on important graphical updates.

We are not currently in the final stages of a release. If we were, then the test patch forum would be open.
Quote from Smilez101 :Hi, I just recently bought Live For Speed, I've been Sim Driving for 5 to 6 years now and I've never incounted this problem.
So my problem is when Im online everyone is really twitchy and julty well mainly lagging. I've never seen this before in a game. In Assetto Corsa, I can tandem with people from the whole over world and Still have awesome lines. Even in rFactor its fine. ALSO for other people I seem perfectly fine, Im not lagging at all!

Is there anyway to fix this because I feel like just leaving this game when Ive only got a couple hours on it! :/

Thanks guys,
Smilez

I race with a friend who is from australia and its usually not so bad that it ruins the race but at the same time i have raced with people a lot closer to home who can lag like crazy.
When at the server list what ping times are you seing on average
Some of the servers are just people hosting from their PC. So THEIR internet connection may suck.

Try hosting your own, put AUSTRALIA in the name, maybe someone will join... who knows.
https://imgur.com/a/CeNPJ

There are already many NZ/Aus servers, but only the cruise servers have a population, and many of them are bots.
The above was taken at 3.30 pm on a Sunday.

And yes, like many people I have taken a break and race other sims, and I do apologise for getting my facts wrong about the 10 year timetable.
Just to correct the facts..

"Sat 22 Aug 2009, 7:14
We are pleased to announce that a new tyre physics model is currently in the testing and refinement stage."
Bla.. bla.. bla.

This is again a discussion without any knowledge. It's assumed that the topic starter is interested in RACE, but I know, because I've seen, that he is interested in DRIFT.

I saw that he ended up on Nubbins AU Drift.. And thats where he should be because it's an AUS server.

Well.. The IP is AUS according to LFSWorld. But this GeoIP thing doesn't have to say everything (for example the cargame demo server right now has an Irish flag but it's not based in Ireland).

Quote from Scawen :We are working on important graphical updates.

Which will have a short term boost like the BL update and WE update accomplished. It's not a structural improvement for the online environment. But it's OK, it's your project, your idea how the future should look like concerning LFS. In theory every update is good.. As long as it is timed and more frequently then the last -many years-. Remember Chucks candy story.
I find it odd that you say everyone appears to be lagging - that's not how lag works. Drivers with low ping - ie, closer to the server - shouldn't be teleporting or twitching out... Sounds like that's a problem with the server not being able to handle the connection load, not your internet.
I don't agree. Everyone else will appear to lag, as seen on your computer, if there is a long time delay between the server and your computer.

Your PC's time clock should become synchronised quite well with the server. Then if there is half a second delay between the packets being sent from the server and arriving at your PC then the cars will seem to lag a bit every frame before they are updated to where your computer thinks they should be.

The delay could be due to simply distance from the server, but could be made worse by poor connections. Specially if packets start being dropped...

The solution, in these times of lesser online activity, must be to try and arrange for some people in your own time zone to get online and have a race, on a server in your time zone.
Which is the issue in Australasia as I have repeatedly said.....

Whilst we have MANY servers, good servers, hosting (and wanting to host) LFS for local players there is no longer the player base.

I've been saying this for a while, but the issue is now at a stage where most experienced sim racers here are using other sims.

The local player base is now, as you in fact suggested I should do, is taking a break from LFS.

Blah, Blah, Blah.... Said it all before..... This issue is that until there is a reason for players to return to LFS, this situation will continue. It simply appears here first as we had a smaller player base to start with.

Fine, I fully understand your opinion that it's our fault for having too many servers and not organising local leagues.

Problem is the local leagues mainly died in 2013, 5 years after the announcement of the soon to be released tyre physics update.

I took your (Scrawens) advice a while ago regarding taking a break and playing other sims while awaiting conformation by email of the LFS update, so for me this isn't an issue, I simply remain mildly (not enough to buy S3) optimistic that this update will eventually be released.

In the mean time, the situation in Australasia will simply continue as it is, or get worse.

But, as per your post, that's only our fault.........
Quote from Racer X NZ :Which is the issue in Australasia as I have repeatedly said.....

Whilst we have MANY servers, good servers, hosting (and wanting to host) LFS for local players there is no longer the player base.

I've been saying this for a while, but the issue is now at a stage where most experienced sim racers here are using other sims.

The local player base is now, as you in fact suggested I should do, is taking a break from LFS.

Blah, Blah, Blah.... Said it all before..... This issue is that until there is a reason for players to return to LFS, this situation will continue. It simply appears here first as we had a smaller player base to start with.

Fine, I fully understand your opinion that it's our fault for having too many servers and not organising local leagues.

Problem is the local leagues mainly died in 2013, 5 years after the announcement of the soon to be released tyre physics update.

I took your (Scrawens) advice a while ago regarding taking a break and playing other sims while awaiting conformation by email of the LFS update, so for me this isn't an issue, I simply remain mildly (not enough to buy S3) optimistic that this update will eventually be released.

In the mean time, the situation in Australasia will simply continue as it is, or get worse.

But, as per your post, that's only our fault.........

I live in Singapore, and the ping we get here is almost as horrid as you Aussies. And the way LFS handles lag is sometimes frustrating too (not teleporting about), how cars "wiggle" left to right, derived straight from the input of the laggy driver.

I've had many complaints of my lag causing this "zig zag" motion, and the only way to compensate is to not make sudden steering movements, and make gradual smooth inputs instead. But that itself ruins the experience..
Not sure but I'd go for the rFactor/iR/F1 2017 style of netcode, where the cars sort of "slither and crab" and slide out of the lag instead of reacting literally from direct input. At least the car then would still be a solid safe object to pass, and you won't get booted in the door by the lagging car.

But of course, I doubt at this stage, online netcode for LFS can be modified or improved? @Scawen
Or perhaps a ghosting method for races? Because at current its virtually impossible to race with anyone with 250 ping or higher..
I wonder if doing a community poll about what people would like to be updated next would be a good idea. Of course Scavier would choose what goes in there but be open to reasonable suggestions. I am sure many others would prefer to see tyre physics finally done rather than a graphical update, even if it helps Eric get on with another track.
Hmmnah.. You don't tell a writer what book he/she needs to write, or a movie maker what movie he/she needs to produce also don't you. LFS started with no public interest, there was even surprise that there was global interest when 0.1 got released. The same "easy-going" mindset does still exist today, it's not possible to change that way of living. People here need to learn that not much is going to happen in the future, I am amazed that a small group of people here just keep trying and trying. It's not possible when you need to run family life and have an aging brain. Team Scavier is not in it's early 20's anymore, it's humanly not possible, all great talents stop after around the age of 35. What could be the reason for that hm?

The only problem is that the current generation is too stupid to produce something good on its own.
A: Who are you calling an Aussi, Australasia is a geographic area. Big grin

B: Just release the F***ing update that's been promised, LFS is a great sim and 8 years ago it was bleeding edge... 8 years ago....

C: Other people are releasing great sims, there are a large number of CURRENT sims that allow modding, have physics that are NOW as good as LFS was 8 years ago.

Seriously, I love(d) this sim, I believe that Scrawen & Eric have the ability to release an update that is capable of restoring LFS to it's previous position of 'THE' racing sim. There is no point in blaming the community that still supports LFS for the current slow lingering death that we here are seeing.

The next stage here will be people removing the great servers that we currently have because servers cost money, and if no one is using them, why spend the money ?

I expect this to be a deleted post as it's cutting to the bone of what I believe is the current issue here, and most people hate to hear that.
Have a 3 month break.

Reason : Asked you too many times, stop repeating the same stuff, swearing and being generally unpleasant.

It looks like you think we are sitting here with a release, ready to go, that we are holding back just to annoy you.

You believe you know so much better than us how to make a racing simulator. If it's so incredibly easy to do, why don't you go and do one yourself? Maybe you can do it during your three month break from the LFS forum?

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG