The online racing simulator
Hot tyres
(32 posts, started )
Quote from djfatrod :Sounds to me like Scawen is simply trying to get the old(current) tyre heating system to work with the new tyre model, in which case no there wont be any changes to the way the tyres heat up and cool down!

Maybe.

But at least our devs are forced to take another look at the system, and they may do something.
Quote from Shotglass :from my gut feeling id say the tyre core heats up too fast and cools down way too slowly
it feels almost like the tyres dont really dissipate heat at all which is also quite apparent by the way that the outer layer of rubber never really gets colder than the core even on the front of a single seater with 300kmh of chilly air rushing past it

Quote from yaper :Smaller wheels are rotating faster which helps cooling it.

What you both fail to realize is that, as speed increases, so too does the frequency of flex of a particular radial segment of rubber. This flexing generates heat.
nowhere near enough to combat heat dissipation from 300kmh worth of air blasting against it though
Quote from Artis89 :
Why I am touching this topic? I just hate, that now in regular S2 servers, all the guys burn their tyres until they are un-drivable, so that they smoked while drifting, and only then head out on track

Me, personally, even when I really want to drift, it is not fun anymore, because when drifting with cold tyres, you are way way faster than anyone else out there.

people do it so they can do twin drifting easier, most people fail at following on colds because they don't know how to keep drifting when someone is slower in front of them, with hot tyres its pretty much no effort to keep the car sideways

can't wait for the new tyre physics, would like to be able to do more then 1 lap on a track without having to pit
Regarding tire heating/cooling, I think I have a apifany(or how the heck it is spelled:P)

Heating:
Surface heats rather fast by friction
surface temp will transfer to inside slowly(heating)
Incide temp will influence surface temp slowly(cooling it)

Is ambient temp/air temp even in the mix?
If so, wouldn't increasing the cooling factor(speed=cooler) fix most of it?

Just my thoughts about this, unsure how code is written though
I never had a issue with drifting with my DFP on 900 :/ In fact i felt i was in better control at higher angles post 120 degrees tire temp. As for losing traction at 100 degrees, i find that the XRT is still drivable at high speeds whilst gripping. It's not exactly WR pace, but it still rings the "Good lap/good split" on insim servers.
Turns out, in real life some of the tires actually loses traction ( not completely ) if very hot temperature gathered.

What I try to say is the mixture of rubber does also make in play!

EDIT: I did write like a captain obvious, but despite tire physics in LFS might be wrong, the experience from it is both wrong and right, more or less.

EDIT: Oops, I did check the dates, I did bump big one, my bad.

Hot tyres
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG