The online racing simulator
Live for Speed SMS text message system
EDIT (February 2017) : The price for each text message has now been reduced to £0.05 and you get 3 free messages

The system allows you to :

- Get SMS messages (known as alerts) sent to your mobile phone when certain events happen
- Send messages to other LFS users without needing to exchange phone numbers
- Send messages to any mobile phone by entering its number

What events can send an alert?

You can set up the following types of alert :

At www.lfsworld.net - click : Live Alert... SMS Alert

- Send an alert when a specified LFS racer has been online for a while.
- Send an alert when a particular hotlap world record is broken.
- Send an alert when a new patch is released.

What about message sending?

You can send text messages to other people :

At www.lfsworld.net - click : LFS Messages... Send SMS

- You can send to any LFS racer who has entered their mobile phone number into the system
- Your own phone number is sent for reply only if you click the box to select that option
- You can also send to any mobile phone number that you type in manually
- Flat rate of £0.05 for all messages - local and international

Privacy :

We will never give your phone number or any other personal information to anyone unless for some reason we are required by law to give it to an authority. There is one exception - if you click the box "send my phone number as reply number" when you type in your message - then your number is included so the recipient can reply to your phone.

Cost :

Each message you send to someone, and each alert that you receive having set up an alert, costs you £0.05.
We have given everyone 3 free messages, so you can try it out before deciding to pay for more.
To get more than 3 messages, you will need some credit on your account : https://www.lfs.net/shop/creditselect

Another way to send - from within LFS while online :

If you are online and want to ask a friend to join, you can send a SMS from within LFS.
It will include your user name and the name of the host you are on.
To do this, you must type two commands starting with a slash.

/w msg USERNAME (initiates sending an SMS to another LFS racer)
/w txt MESSAGE (adds the text and sends it to the racer's mobile phone)

What to do :

We recommend you try out the system using your free SMS messages. Feel free to enter your phone number even if you don't want to use the system for your own purposes, so other S2 racers can send you a message if they want to get hold of you when you aren't online.

Improvement suggestions :

We are interested to hear about any other types of alert you would like to receive, or any other suggestions you may have for the SMS system.
Quote from Scawen :Another way to send - from within LFS while online at a S1 / S2 host :

If you are online and want to ask a friend to join, you can send a SMS from within LFS.
It will include your user name and the name of the host you are on.
To do this, you must type two commands starting with a slash.

/w msg USERNAME (initiates sending an SMS to another LFS racer)
/w txt MESSAGE (adds the text and sends it to the racer's mobile phone)

Sorry I dont have any suggestion but when I noticed the above I was shocked but ofcourse in the best way its possible.
I never saw such a feaure in anygame sending something like "live" SMS from the game...my comment is simply WOW :jawdrop:

Thanks Scawen and Victor for this.Keep your good work.
i think this is a cool feature for 24hours races e.g.
because when your driver falls asleep but he has to race because u are already tired u can send him a SMS *lookin angry at racer2418*
#4 - 4aged
how do i get notified when i get a message in LFS World ??? dont really need SMS alerts, just want an email to say i have a message (like a forums PM) i looked today and i had like heaps of messages i had no idea were there!
-
(bandaid) DELETED by bandaid
#5 - 4aged
yea if you wanted to get hold of a racer that wasnt on LFS forum you can send them a message in LFS World but they have no idea they have a message unless they login and open the messages window
Two things
1) there's an edit button, so no need for double posts. In fact, the number of consecutive post by a single member is indirectly proportional to said user's mental capabilities.

2) A SMS is a kind of wrong term that has coined itself in europe concerning mobile communication. SMS stands for Short Message Service, the service which makes the average cellular phone able to send and recieve text messages.

So that should answer your question! The person you message that way will recieve a text message on his phone, thus there's no need for him to be logged in anywhere.

On na sidenote: why are there these two extremes of inexperienced posters? The ones that open up new threads on already discussed topics, even though they are on the first forum page too, AND those who ressurect old threads that were burried in the depths of time a long time ago?

In this case, that's to be excused though, because I myself simply hve forgotten about that feature and found it nice to be remembered of it.
Shouldn't a thread like this be "sticky"?
great work
it loud be cool to add more receivers than one
for example if one race is coming in the next hours the admin send message to all the racers "mass message" for the race - not one by one
#9 - 4aged
Quote from ColeusRattus :Two things
1) there's an edit button, so no need for double posts. In fact, the number of consecutive post by a single member is indirectly proportional to said user's mental capabilities.

there was another message in between my 2 but the guy must have deleted it so sthu
haha ^ nicely put
Quote from 4aged :sthu

Interestingly, the usage of text or chat message abbreviations in a place where no maximum number of letters exists, or said limit is at least high enough to fill a whole standard screen at a resolution of 1280 times 1024 pixels with text, indicates the very same thing as posting consecutive answers.

A "sthu", or "shut the hell up" is both annoying (at least in it's abbreviated form) and rude.

Now if you had phrased your response similar to this:

Quote from 4aged :there was another message in between my 2 but the guy must have deleted it, so it wasn't my fault

it would have been a perfectly acceptable answer to my admitedly mildly ranting post, which would've led me to say "Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of that."

Sadly though you showed again, allthough this time deliberately and not by an unfortunate coincidence, that there might be stars shining more brightly on the nightly firmament than you yourself do.
Quote from ColeusRattus :
On na sidenote: why are there these two extremes of inexperienced posters? The ones that open up new threads on already discussed topics, even though they are on the first forum page too, AND those who ressurect old threads that were burried in the depths of time a long time ago?

Named the two types of inexperienced users wrong...

Those that listen, and those that don't...

Those that don't listen start new threads, because they simply don't listen to the experienced users that keep saying "use the damn search!"...

Those that listen bump old threads back up because when they search for it on the forums, they get old threads in their results...

We just have to figure out which we hate more... New pointless threads, or pointless thread bumping.
I wouldn't exactly call it pointless thread bumping when the bump is on topic.
sry for this noobish question, but is there a way to get the massages in icq?
Quote from John5200 :sry for this noobish question, but is there a way to get the massages in icq?

Thai or regular? With happy ending?
Quote from ColeusRattus :
A "sthu", or "shut the hell up" is both annoying (at least in it's abbreviated form) and rude.

I'm sorry if I find having wild acusations of myself retaining low mental capabilties offensive and I replied accordingly, I think you were the one being rude to start with and I did not see it as a 'mild rant' ... Good day sir [/pointless discussion]
Hello!

Is this system still working or not working on Japanese account?
I'm searching for the description, but couldn't get that.

Thanks.
I was wondering that I assume this system takes credit from your LFS account? ( EDIT: Yes it does )

How about having same system as downloading skins? 1£ for every 1000 messages received/sent in total available? Or is that too low?
I would like to actually try this, but not sure if 0.10£ is well... cheap enough? or is it?

EDIT: yes I know, old thread, and have usually in some point thought on this, but I have seen it is a bit too expensive for me if looking the benefits/output
Yes, the system should still work.

It definitely works for sending SMS messages.

1) Log in with your user name at www.lfsworld.net
2) Click "LFS Messages"
3) Select tab "Send SMS"

EDIT: I agree £0.10 seems expensive these days and I think it should be reduced to £0.05
Quote from Scawen :
EDIT: I agree £0.10 seems expensive these days and I think it should be reduced to £0.05

What you think, what could be the possible lowest price for each sms?

I was thinking that would it be possible to send alert message if certain lfs host gets certain amount of people, or it is gathered specific combo, and/or so on? Would that be hard to make actually work? At least it sounds for me there would be a lot of work to do but that would and actually will be very handy, at least for me.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, the system should still work.

It definitely works for sending SMS messages.

1) Log in with your user name at www.lfsworld.net
2) Click "LFS Messages"
3) Select tab "Send SMS"

Thanks for fast reply :D

I'm editing Japanese wiki right now, and found these functions (by watching English wiki): 'My LFSW Credit' and 'Chatterbox'.

But I coulnd't see these shortcuts on my LFSW, so I was wondering if they don't work on Japanese account...

When I clicked 'your account balance' on 'Send SMS' page, I can only get:
Quote :A page-load time out occured

What this message means?
Quote from Scawen :I agree £0.10 seems expensive these days and I think it should be reduced to £0.05

I've heard good things about clockworksms.com as a provider, if that helps any.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :I was thinking that would it be possible to send alert message if certain lfs host gets certain amount of people, or it is gathered specific combo, and/or so on? Would that be hard to make actually work? At least it sounds for me there would be a lot of work to do but that would and actually will be very handy, at least for me.

Anything's possible I guess. The questions for me are, is it worth investing time into?
Is the current SMS alerting exposed sufficiently? Is it interesting enough? Can people find it / do they know of its existence? Should it be moved to this site instead?
Quote from skylinekakkoii :I'm editing Japanese wiki right now, and found these functions (by watching English wiki): 'My LFSW Credit' and 'Chatterbox'.

But I coulnd't see these shortcuts on my LFSW, so I was wondering if they don't work on Japanese account...

When I clicked 'your account balance' on 'Send SMS' page, I can only get:

What this message means?

Ah, the LFSW Credit link pointed to a page I removed a while ago (for reasons). I've reinstated it now though. The chatterbox was a small window on LFS World where people could chat. But that has been removed a while ago as it didn't really add to a positive vibe.
Quote from Racon :I've heard good things about clockworksms.com as a provider, if that helps any.

We currently have a large prepaid credit elsewhere that we should first go through. But from a first look, clockworksms.com does indeed look nice.
Quote from Victor :The chatterbox was a small window on LFS World where people could chat. But that has been removed a while ago as it didn't really add to a positive vibe.

Lies! Tongue

However... the #LFS IRC channel could use some promotion...
Quote from Victor :Ah, the LFSW Credit link pointed to a page I removed a while ago (for reasons). I've reinstated it now though. The chatterbox was a small window on LFS World where people could chat. But that has been removed a while ago as it didn't really add to a positive vibe.

Thank you!

'My LFSW Credit' appeared on my LFSW right now Smile

Well, should I delete the section of the chatterbox from wiki?

Live for Speed SMS text message system
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG