The online racing simulator
S2 - S3 worth it?
(19 posts, started )
#1 - oops
S2 - S3 worth it?
Hi all I've been with LFS since 2005 but I've only just come back to it after a few years away and I must say that I'm enjoying it tremendously especially as I've got myself an oculus rift cv1 and I love it for sim racing, best peripheral I've ever bought.But I was wondering is the upgrade to S3 (I'm on S2)worth it as it only seems to give the user one extra track Rockingham (I know it has around 11 variations)?
One other thing, atm I'm driving the bmw fb02 around blackwood gp best lap atm is around the 1.17's but people are leaving me sitting and driving away from me on the straights, now I know it's all about the setups (which I'm working on Smile) but I keep missing the gears especially from 3rd on as you have to lift off the accelerator(blip)is there any way to stop blipping the gears? now I'm not talking auto, I want to be able to change the gears manually without having to lift off Thumbs up
It's worth upgrading to S3 if you think that amount of money is worth it to drive on an accurate laser scanned version of the real Rockingham race track. If not, then it's not worth it, and you should stick with S2 until we release more S3 content.

I sometimes wonder if people think they need S3 in order to be up to date and find anyone online... but that is not the case at all. You only need S3 to go to Rockingham. S2 is fine for all other purposes and is the best value for money at the moment.
Quote from oops :But I was wondering is the upgrade to S3 (I'm on S2)worth it as it only seems to give the user one extra track Rockingham

Depends what do you want. If just for casual pick up racing,then not really,unless you really like the track. If you're interested in league racing,at some occasions you might need it. Or if you just want to support devs.
Quote from oops :I'm driving the bmw fb02 ... I want to be able to change the gears manually without having to lift off

That's how the gearbox of FBM works,it's just like the real life counterpart,it doesn't have sequetial transmission with ignition cut-off like FOX,FO8,FXR and XRR has. There is one trick how to shift without lifting - you need to engage clutch,which leads to clutch overheating eventually. Or learn to press and hold gearshift up before you need it,then lift at the point you want to shift - gearshift engages. But be aware - it might happen also when car goes over bumps,so press and hold just before needed shift.
#4 - oops
Thanks guys for the fast replies, I'll probably get the S3 just to support the devs as I love this game especially with the rift Smile
no
maybe
#7 - Ped7g
There is particular bump on BL I'm using to shift without blip at one place. But overall you need to lift considerably, to save the clutch from overheating. So .. probably keep practising. Smile (and try some public setups too, just to get idea what other are driving with).
#8 - oops
Thank's Ped7g I'll keep practising Smile
Hey Oops!

Not entitled to comment on getting S3 so
FBM shifting needs good timing between you lifting off and changing up Like what Eclisped said, if you find it troublesome upshifting, especially on the straights, you can preload a gearup by holding the upshift key assigned, and then lifting throttle to shift up. Need for every gear though.

A look through LFSW replays of quick times will give you an idea of lines to take, throttle and brake positions. A good set from someone in a race server will go a long way as well. Good luck!

Nova
I've been around LFS for a really, really long time, and recently, in a drunken stupor, it dawned on me that S3 had been released! I punched up the LFS.net address into google and started poking around for the purchase page, ended up over on the forum here, and eventually went through with the purchase for the sole fact that Scawen, Eric, and Victor all put in an entire lifetime of work (combined together) to get LFS where it is, and the least I can do, even if I've never been and never will be anywhere near Rockingham, could invest in the future of this great sim.

I ran a few layouts against AI and figured I would check if there was any racing going on. Although I didn't find a server with any Rockingham layout/car combo's I was interested in, I found an old friend in the mix, populated by 11 people... "pick-up" tin top racing! My old friend XFG and that familiar Blackwood course brought back fond memories of CTRA and the endless hours of battling mid pack (I'm not really that fast consistently) with competition right on my level, rubbing panels and edging each other out on braking zones, taking unorthodox lines to block a fast run for either of us to keep the race going until the next corner... if only short courses of Rockingham were run with the XFG/XRG combo I would be in heaven with the updates and content since returning slowly over the past month or two as I've been busy elsewhere in life for a few years after CTRA went away, that moment killed sim racing as a full on hobby for me as I just can't afford to adhere to a set schedule for club/league racing.

TL;DR

Totally worth the content (the track and all the layouts are fantastic, really brings out the realism of the car/tire behavior) and the support for developers that have stuck with a project for well over a decade and are still very active in the community, assuring us that S3 will only get better with time. Plus there is still racing servers populated by enough drivers to have a good quick race almost anytime. Rockingham will likely gain a bit of popularity as people like me venture back into LFS through the next year or two, better to be a veteran of Rockingham than starting to get the hang of it by the time the servers start showing up with people wanting to race on it.
#11 - Resu
Quote from Scawen :It's worth upgrading to S3 if you think that amount of money is worth it to drive on an accurate laser scanned version of the real Rockingham race track. If not, then it's not worth it, and you should stick with S2 until we release more S3 content.

I sometimes wonder if people think they need S3 in order to be up to date and find anyone online... but that is not the case at all. You only need S3 to go to Rockingham. S2 is fine for all other purposes and is the best value for money at the moment.

I know I'm gonna be just one more of "those" guys and I'm gonna get hate for this but here it goes. I completely understand and salute you for the honest answer, but at the same time I'm kind of sad for it. After all this years I'm still reading the forum on a regular basis, waiting for that big update we've been promiced and actually enjoyed your post on the latest test patch where you said you were still working hard on the tire physics. I guess I was expecting a different kind of speech.

Don't take it the wrong way. You, without the help of the major "players" in the business were able to create what is in my opinion the best online racing simulator by far. Massive respect for that. I'm yet to play a game that allows the "bumper to bumper" racing the same way LFS does. Please don't let it die even more before it reaches V1.0
What makes you think we are going to let it die? We are working hard on new content. Trouble is, it doesn't matter how many times I say that, some people just can't bring themselves to believe it. Big grin

Of course, there are no guarantees, we don't give guarantees or promises of future content. But I can tell you we are working on it!
Quote from Scawen :What makes you think we are going to let it die? We are working hard on new content. Trouble is, it doesn't matter how many times I say that, some people just can't bring themselves to believe it. Big grin

Of course, there are no guarantees, we don't give guarantees or promises of future content. But I can tell you we are working on it!

Awesome news! Na-na
Quote from MicroSpecV :Awesome news! Na-na

That's not news becouse Scawen said that so many times but not everyone can understand this so he need write this every week..
because, because, because! Thumbs up

(never mind)
It can always be worse, quiz...

Quote :became a notable example of vaporware due to its severely protracted development schedule; the game was released in 2011 after fifteen years of development.

without using a search engine, what game is this Wink
is that the duke nukem thing?
or starcraft 2? dunno
It looks kinda funny that everyone complains when Scawen's not writing anything about development (game is dead, they don't care about us anymore, blah blah blah), and then complains that he's writing something about development (we're working on new content etc etc) Big grin

Test patches are the proof that it's still alive and well.
Keep it up Scavier, I still have hopes that one day I'll drive Bathurst, Nordschleife and Laguna Seca (and so on!) in this outstanding simulator Smile
Quote from R@fiXII :...
Keep it up Scavier, I still have hopes that one day I'll drive Bathurst, Nordschleife and Laguna Seca (and so on!) in this outstanding simulator Smile

That sounds a good hope to me aswell Petals
Some 458/gallardo/FZ50 turbo to reach the high speed required, and everything will be fine Hug

S2 - S3 worth it?
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG