The online racing simulator
#1 - avih
Race school at Donnington on a bike :D : a report
Hey guys.
Yesterday I've been to Ron Haslam's Race school at Donington Park, UK. In one word, AWESOME

It lasted much less than i expected though. 3 sessions of 15mins on a Honda CBR600RR '05, with briefing and debriefing between. Every instructor rides with 2 riders, so it's pretty personal. On top of that, after the 1st session it turned out that my co-rider was riding at a different pace than me, so another instructor volunteered to ride with him, so eventually both of us had a personal instructor for the remaining 2 sessions cool.

So, what do i have to say about the bike? smaller than i though . the damn thing is really tiny, and the seating position is almost impossible (although i'm a bit above average, 1.85m). pretty strong though. 115bhp @13k RPM on bridgstone tires which i was amazed with. your elbow, knee and ears are an inch from touching the tarmak, you open full throttle and the damn thing just sticks to the floor. really fun

the track itself was also.. smaller than i've expected and smoother than i expected. you go out of T1 full throttle, right right right, fast left, fast right, left left, right, blind double-apex right, backstraight (wtf?? so short?...), chicane, short straight, hairpin, hairpin, DONE. it ends really fast it also goes much smoother than in most raceing games i've tried it. especially out of T1 untill the bridge. really smooth series of turns. and, there was a GREAT weather just like the sunny one in LFS

Eventhough the track time was only 45 mins, and the bike was too small and the track too small etc, The experience was second to none I would really recommend it to anyone who likes riding a bike. I do own a sport-tourer bike (Suzuki DL650) but i've never really reached the limits on public roads (well, i'm sure some car drivrs thought i was way over the limit. i wasn't ).

On the track, however, it's a completely different thing. You get full leather suit (the one with the airodynamic bump on the back), boots, helmet and gloves. you go up in pace slowly, and i think i managed ok. by the end of the 2ns session we've been passing most other groups on the track (overtaking is not allowed unless you're instructed to by your instructor). I felt very good on the bike, well into the race lines (the yellow pylons markers for turn-point were very usefull for me) nice speed up from around the apex, tuck in befind the windsheld for extra speed on straights. it felt very smooth to me, and it felt as if i could go much faster if my instructor would (he was riding ahead of me). on every turn exit i was on his tail. it didn't feel like riding on the limits, the tires were amazing and the whole things just felt "right".

too bad that on the last session after few laps when we were passing few groups one after the other, just before starkey's bride, i was looking left at someone we've passed, then eyes back to the road and like, OMG it's the GRASSSS!!!! :/ WTF am i doing here????

[TBC]
#2 - avih
[continue]

Now, i didn't even started preparing for the (left) turn. no break yet, just a short straight on the right edge of the track going straight. tiny bend of the track when i wasn't looking and i was driving straight.. on the grass. I immidiately started to think "hey, it's way too fast, i can't use the breaks, the wall (tires) is getting near, will i just go straight untill i hit the wall??" guys, i was WAY too optimistic split second after i went on the grass (prob around 130-150 kph) with a straight bike, i was on the grass, rolling and flying, everything turning upside down, and again, and again, and again suprisingly, i was in one piece. only one glove fell during the incidens, and everything else was in place (bones included).

i was slowly getting up to my knees, looking around, the bike's few meters from me, windsheld gone, right foot peg and breaks broken and hangs on wires. long groove on the grass where the bike slided and it's all damn quiet. a marshal runs towards me, red flags are up... rest of the riders are already at the pits.. oops.. did i cause all that??? hmm.. then the van came to pick me and the bike back to the pits, and he ask me to go in.. and a second later.. "hmm.. would you mind entering from the passanger's side?" opps. they do RHD in the UK, how did i forget that?

eventually, i was back in the pits too. slightly brused elbow, few muscles hurt a bit, but i'm fine and walking and smiling. in the last debriefing they gave me a brochure for lawn mowers they said i've started my gardenning career a bit late, but it's better late than never

overall, an excellent experience. i would definately recommend to anyone (except the crash. if you crash there, do it in style, not stupidly as i did )

cheers,
avih
Sound like you had great time!!! i live quite near to donningtion. 15 min away by car.

Jay
Sounds like you went off at the Craner Curves. You're not the first and won't be the last, it's a hell of a sequence of corners.

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/Circuits/Donington-Park.htm

Great to hear you enjoyed it and you weren't hurt. I live just down the road, and was there last month (in my car) and had one of the best days of my life
#5 - avih
Quote from durbster :Sounds like you went off at the Craner Curves. You're not the first and won't be the last, it's a hell of a sequence of corners.

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/Circuits/Donington-Park.htm

Great to hear you enjoyed it and you weren't hurt. I live just down the road, and was there last month (in my car) and had one of the best days of my life

no, actually Craner Curves were fantastic. downhill flick from right to left. very fast and lots of fun

i just went on the grass before starkeys bridge, on a complete straight part of the track. there's a lesson, do NOT take your eyes off the track even on a straight
Ah right, I should have guessed because there's no wall at the Craners (thankfully!) :dunce:

I've seen bikes going round Donington. I'm not into bikes at all, but they looked terrifying. What is it, 120mph through the Craners? And then there's the problem of almost taking to the air over the hump under the Dunlop bridge etc.

I'd say that Donington's one of the biggest and safest circuits to crash on in the UK, but I'll stick with 4 wheels.
#7 - avih
I don't think i've done 120mph on Craners. maybe around 100mph (150-160kph) but i can't really tell because the bike didn't have a speedometer (only PRM meter). bare in mind though, it's my 1st time with such extreme bike and 1st time on this track, so i don't have good assesment of actual speed. i know that we went around 120+ mph on the straight (fun exit from the double apex right), and we could have gone more if he didn't break so early

re: safest place to crash in the uk: i'll try to keep that in mind
#8 - AndyC
They have things like that around Oughton Park and I plan to go once i've gained a bit more experience. I love the Donnington Track though sounds like a real good time.

How much did it cost ?

andy.
#9 - avih
250 pounds (around $450)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG