The online racing simulator
Update is nice. Not exactly what I had in mind when ''graphics'' were mentioned, but improvement is an improvement and we can only be thankful for that!
I hope to see LFS on a new level in a year or so. I truly believe we are just around the corner to see a new phase (I recently built a new system so you better bring us some nice graphics Scawen Big grin). Meanwhile I will continue to work on my goals as well.
Never settle for less!
#77 - expr
The revamped controller support degrades the experience when running the game on Wine.

Now, obviously this is my problem – and not the devs', but the reason I'm posting this is to ask if anyone else has encountered problems, or better, not?

(After installing 0.6Q, every time the LFS window changes state, my wheel gets stuck in center position. The only obvious way to get the wheel to do anything else than center with full force is to reset its USB connection.)
I haven't heard of that until now and don't know why that happens.

But to save you resetting the USB connection, can you try "reinitialising controllers" in LFS? That is SHIFT+C in game or the refresh button in the controller options screen (or /refresh text command in that screen which may be assigned to your F5 key).
#79 - expr
Quote from Scawen :I haven't heard of that until now and don't know why that happens.

But to save you resetting the USB connection, can you try "reinitialising controllers" in LFS? That is SHIFT+C in game or the refresh button in the controller options screen (or /refresh text command in that screen which may be assigned to your F5 key).

Forgot to mention: reinitialising controllers is one way to trigger the issue – you can do it once after connecting the controller (including the one that's done when starting the game), but the next time it “jams” the wheel – interesting that, because I could guess the logic for refreshing controller list hasn't changed much. Luckily it can be done once, so you don't have to restart LFS after resetting the wheel. Problem occurs also when you select the wheel from the list of controllers.

All in all, it's not a big issue as long as you stay within LFS. (Although if I had to physically yank the cable every time when resetting the connection, that would probably get tedious really fast.) I'll check later if there's some new Wine diagnostics between P and Q and test it in another environment.
Quote from expr :Forgot to mention: reinitialising controllers is one way to trigger the issue – you can do it once after connecting the controller (including the one that's done when starting the game), but the next time it “jams” the wheel – interesting that, because I could guess the logic for refreshing controller list hasn't changed much. Luckily it can be done once, so you don't have to restart LFS after resetting the wheel. Problem occurs also when you select the wheel from the list of controllers.

All in all, it's not a big issue as long as you stay within LFS. (Although if I had to physically yank the cable every time when resetting the connection, that would probably get tedious really fast.) I'll check later if there's some new Wine diagnostics between P and Q and test it in another environment.

I experience no such issues with the latest WINE and Logitech DFP. I however did notice that the centering spring force stays on which messes with force feedback. I'm not sure why this would happen as WINE is supposed to disable the centering spring force when the device is acquired. Is LFS doing anything new in this area?
#81 - expr
Quote from MadCatX :I experience no such issues with the latest WINE and Logitech DFP. I however did notice that the centering spring force stays on which messes with force feedback. I'm not sure why this would happen as WINE is supposed to disable the centering spring force when the device is acquired. Is LFS doing anything new in this area?

I may have phrased myself unclearly, but I think we are talking about similar issues.

For me, LFS works like it used to when you start it the first time, but if you (un)focus, window-ize or fullscreen the window, or reinitialise the controllers, or close LFS the centering spring turns on and stays on until you reset the wheel (and as far as I can tell, masks all other FFB). The wheel still "works", you can still steer with it, but it tries to center itself (as far as I can tell, with full force).
Maybe updated interiors for turbos next update? They really, really look outdated.
Quote from expr :I may have phrased myself unclearly, but I think we are talking about similar issues.

For me, LFS works like it used to when you start it the first time, but if you (un)focus, window-ize or fullscreen the window, or reinitialise the controllers, or close LFS the centering spring turns on and stays on until you reset the wheel (and as far as I can tell, masks all other FFB). The wheel still "works", you can still steer with it, but it tries to center itself (as far as I can tell, with full force).

It sound like the same problem. Does it change anything if you enable the "Keep controls active even when LFS looses focus" option in the menu? WINE somewhat senselessly switches the centering spring (sometimes referred to as "autocentering") on whenever the Unacquire() DirectInput function is called on the device. I find it very odd that the centering spring stays on, WINE is supposed to disable it when the device gets grabbed again by the game. It will probably take some actual debugging to get to the bottom of this. It'd help to know if there were any relevant changes made in LFS that could possibly mess with the centering spring effect.
And that if a we add to this mode of "walk" the rotation of camera on the axis of mouse?
For example as in various shooting games.
Good job! I love this game!
Why does everyone complain about the graphics. They look fine to me. Then again I grew up with dos games and old nintendo. This game is about realistic racing. And it can be played on any computer not just high end ones.
Quote from kturner :Why does everyone complain about the graphics. They look fine to me. Then again I grew up with dos games and old nintendo. This game is about realistic racing. And it can be played on any computer not just high end ones.

You should try to guess by yourself (hint: answer is in your own post).
Quote from kturner :Why does everyone complain about the graphics. They look fine to me. Then again I grew up with dos games and old nintendo. This game is about realistic racing. And it can be played on any computer not just high end ones.

some S1 models look soooo 2004.

Yeah. Totally fine Big grin
Attached images
lfs.png
Quote from nacim :You should try to guess by yourself (hint: answer is in your own post).

I meant the physics
LOVE the mirrors in VR and love seeing my helmet. Wow I never would have though such a small change could have such an impact to self awareness and perception in VR. GREAT addition and thank you for continuing to support LFS!
Quote from cargame.nl :LFS is the only driving simulator where I cannot drive in cockpit view because it looks like a 2D aquarium on my screen. I don't have this experience @AC or Rfactor (which is also DX9). And I refuse to buy $2000-$4000 VR stuff for it and look like an idiot in the house when somebody wants to talk to me. So yes, people have a point that the on board graphics suck.

But it's not really helping to keep complaining about it, makes no difference.

Just curious, how many of those games can be played on a older computer. And also isnt there only like four guys who developed this. I mean give them a break, if this has out lasted so many games like people say it has then great job to them.
Quote from kturner :Just curious, how many of those games can be played on a older computer. And also isnt there only like four guys who developed this. I mean give them a break, if this has out lasted so many games like people say it has then great job to them.

So true lately i play AC and i miss stuff we have in LFS sure graphics are better but when u want to take a break it sucks in AC even chat is horrible and also noone talks in AC. LFS is in so many ways better.
This was my favorite game when I was a kid. I use to dream about having a game like lfs. This car had three positions straight, full left and full right. So to me the the graphics are great and realy don't matter to much. Wax fruit looks good but taste like crap. Kinda like Need For Speed. Lol
Attached images
NES_Rad_Racer.png
Also, Rad Racer, like LFS, got a 3d mode Big grin

The main problem with interiors is that most of these models are from ~2005. The XFG,XRG,XRT,XRR were remade around 2008 but some cars are more than due.
I'm sure Eric is more than aware of this. I would love to have his thoughts about it.
Quote from cargame.nl :I refuse to buy $2000-$4000 VR stuff for it and look like an idiot in the house when somebody wants to talk to me. .

Because nothing looks cooler than an adult staring at a screen and playing with a downsized toy steering wheel on their desk. Wink
./.
Quote from cargame.nl :But for most normal people it's not working and this is why, VR, will not be a success with the current designs.

Vive alone has sold 100,000+ sets. I wouldn't call that a failure.

New version 0.6Q - Realistic mirrors, better controller support and more
(244 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG