The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
virtual mirrors are not realistic IMHO and would give unfair advantage to other players (or can they be forbidden by server?)

Maybe a discussion in a separate topic would be appropriate, if many people are concerned about virtual mirrors.
Well, they're not more or less unrealistic as the chase view. It's a game after all. And how can it be unfair if all players have the same options? That's the exact opposite of unfair.

I would rather see different hardware (steering wheels, displays or VR glasses) as unfair.
0.6P6 is now available. https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/89703

Changes from 0.6P5 to 0.6P6 :

Mirrors :

Increased vertical adjustment range for central mirror position
Added a "Default position" button to restore moved mirrors
Improved shape of interior mirror for XR road cars

Fixes :

Audio devices were sometimes displayed using the wrong code page

Misc :

Various translations updated - thank you translators
I agree virtual mirrors are not realistic, but I don't think they should be forbidden by servers. This isn't quite the same as force-cockpit view. They may/may not be an "unfair advantage" when compared to using real mirrors, but on a single screen there is only so much screen space, so the virtual mirror can help with car awareness.

With that perspective, some would consider a triple monitor setup an unfair advantage because of the advantageous peripheral view.
Quote from chucknorris :Well, they're not more or less unrealistic as the chase view. It's a game after all. And how can it be unfair if all players have the same options? That's the exact opposite of unfair.

well, you have a valid argument and I dont care enough to keep lobbing for my opinion Big grin. I humbly beg you to pretend I said nothing...
The screenshot...
Attached images
lfs_00000248.jpg
lfs_00000249.jpg
lfs_00000250.jpg
That's very very nice to tune those mirrors Big grin
For the MRT, I would agree on removing those mirrors if they are not existing : when you race, you have to turn the head, so why in a simulator wouldn't we have to do the same ?
Hello,

Is it possible to add a "Axes" Tab when using mouse/keyboard?

The reason for that is to be able to use Mouse Y axis to control throttle / brake instead of buttons.

Whereas the same result could be accomplished by using wheel / joystick, setting steer to mouse X and thr /brk to Mouse Y. Wheel turn / wheel turn compensation will influence the input, unlike when using mouse / keyboard you adjust the sensitivity using steer center reduction.

As for the test patch I tested it today and the result were amazing, I loved the way you can adjust the range for mirrors and found no flaws at all.

It is necessary to add a anti-aliasing x8 for a mirror and add the sharpness when parameters -30.0; 30 ; when you change it to the left or right.
Quote from racerss :Hello,

Is it possible to add a "Axes" Tab when using mouse/keyboard?

The reason for that is to be able to use Mouse Y axis to control throttle / brake instead of buttons.

When I had a trackball instead of mouse, I had this setup. try to move your mouse in desired axis to asign throttle to mouse axis.
A crash report on this otherwise nice patch! (0.6P6)

I was riding along (spectating) another player in a multi-player race while configuring my freshly installed LFS. As I went through the options I could not remember the purpose of Display -> Drop shadows so I toggled that option off and on a few times. Doing this the screen suddenly went completely black. I still had video signal though since I could see (and move) the mouse cursor. I also still heard sound LFS appeared to be running in the "background", just without video.

I then hit shift-f4 to switch to windowed mode. As my desktop appeared LFS.exe crashed with the following report:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: LFS.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 57c05ec4
Fault Module Name: LFS.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 57c05ec4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0014cf5d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053
Additional Information 1: 4709
Additional Information 2: 4709938665fa84e3ff99c8cbe11223bb
Additional Information 3: 926f
Additional Information 4: 926f078b8e812fa896c67b2f2eabbe20

Event viewer entry (not sure if it's of any use):

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57c05ec4
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57c05ec4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0014cf5d
Faulting process id: 0x12c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ffde6e2e0efb
Faulting application path: C:\LFS\LFS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\LFS\LFS.exe
Report Id: 3ab63792-6bd3-11e6-b925-5404a62a7af5

Not sure if this is actually caused my LFS. It could be my freshly installed Win7 -- There are information and warning messages regarding the Desktop Window Manager just a couple of seconds prior to when LFS crashed.

Attached report.wer from Windows ReportArchive.

Edit: I am not able to reproduce it by toggling the drop shadows. :\
Attached files
Report.zip - 1.6 KB - 467 views
Scawen: There is a little thing that should have been there all along:

Would it be possible to add a command to directly select a particular horn without using the cycle button (shift+h): like "/horn 3" ?
Thanks for the bug reports and suggestions which I will look into. I also found a bug. If your car is damaged in a way that moves the central mirror (e.g. damage to roof) then the mirror image can become corrupted.

I was hoping to release this weekend but decided to let the test patch settle a bit, have a more relaxed week doing a few fixes then release next weekend.
Quote from felplacerad :A crash report on this otherwise nice patch! (0.6P6)
Edit: I am not able to reproduce it by toggling the drop shadows. :\

Thanks for the report. I think your use of the drop shadows option at the time is just a coincidence. It draws some black text slightly offset from the plain text on screen (like race position and lap times) for a shadow effect that makes it more readable against the sky.

I think when I've seen LFS go to a black screen but still running invisibly, it has been when the video driver has crashed. But then Windows did tell me that the driver had stopped responding and had been restarted. The crash address is in a place where LFS was trying to add vertices to a buffer. It's possible that the buffer had been closed after a driver crash and then LFS was trying to add vertices to a buffer that no longer existed.

So it's possible that may be the cause, rather than the test patch. It would be nice if LFS could deal with that and reinitialise D3D.
Quote from Scawen :[...] it has been when the video driver has crashed. But then Windows did tell me that the driver had stopped responding and had been restarted. [...]

Yes I have seen that message too and although I didn't get that notification this time that is probably what happened. I've had this happen in Rocket League as well (which, coincidentally also runs DX9).

It seems to have become a bit worse lately, I'm not sure whether it's because of a defunct graphics card, the state of the current nVidia drivers or simply the summer temperature that causes devices to overheat.
Tested the latest version last night and it's still great, did not find any problems with it. It would be great if the mirror adjustment could be assigned to controller or keyboard buttons and it could work like in a real car.

One other thing is that LFS menus could use a little overhaul, for example on the View page the 2D/3D buttons are further up than where one would expect to find buttons and the global view settings are mixed with independent car settings.

I think something like in the attached image would be more logical, the global view controls are on the top and the independent view controls and mirror settings are below.
Attached images
LFS_View_menu_mod.jpg
I noticed something regarding the wing-mirrors: The adjustments are based on left and right mirrors, which means when you swap sides of the car the adjustment is out. Normally, you'd have the two sides adjusted differently, because of the angles.

IMO it would make more sense for the driver's side adjustments to stay on the driver's side regardless of which side the driver is on (i.e. swap the left and right adjustments).
Having to click some 10-20 times in order to set the position I want is a bit frustrating, wouldn't it be better if the adjustment kept progressing when holding the LMB?
Quote from Ziomek21 :Having to click some 10-20 times in order to set the position I want is a bit frustrating, wouldn't it be better if the adjustment kept progressing when holding the LMB?

Someone has mentioned it earlier in the thread, and this was Scawen's answer:
Quote from Scawen :The right click moves the mirrors in 1 degree steps (10 times the left click). So that should save some clicking!

While it does save some clicking, I don't think many people know about the right click feature. It would be nice if you could hold the button for it to keep moving. It looks more intuitive.
There you can specify coordinates.
Hello, I'm facing a bug with these test patches. It seems that the steering wheel for the RAC moves, but the drivers hands are frozen in place.
Also, the new '3D mirrors' on the RAC seem to be quite buggy for me as well. Just seem to adjust themselves in random positions each and every time I leave the pits/join the track.

Other than that, a fantastic new addition to Live For Speed, these updates are. Smile
Thanks everyone for the reports and suggestions.

Quote from constant-drift-Xx :Hello, I'm facing a bug with these test patches. It seems that the steering wheel for the RAC moves, but the drivers hands are frozen in place.

I think your patch is not correctly installed. Somehow you are missing the new RAC steering animations which should be in your move folder.

Quote from constant-drift-Xx :Also, the new '3D mirrors' on the RAC seem to be quite buggy for me as well. Just seem to adjust themselves in random positions each and every time I leave the pits/join the track.

This may also be related to the missing steering animations, because LFS doesn't know where your drivers eyes are.
The GTRs have new aileron a bit more up , but on CMX still been the old ones. Shouldnt be them update? Big grin

indeed they are a lot higher now !
Could the mirror resolution be (optionally?) increased? On triple screens with realistic FOV they're distinctly blurry.
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG