The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6K2 (now K26)
(462 posts, closed, started )
Quote from cargame.nl :By the way... To do without a bridge is possible but then we need traffic lights. The same lights as the model we already have but always showing red, orange or green. With object replacement instructions @InSim it then is possible to let the light have a different color (InSim detects upcoming traffic -> red). If a car decides to ignore the red light there could be a polygon after it which forces a backtopitlane admin command. And for cruising fans I think it can be useful too Wink

This is a great suggest! I am used to play on [TC] Cruise server, and im sure that this can improve the server in lot of ways Smile
Scawen, since you are correcting hotlapping - may I ask what (if any) measures are being made to disallow the use of handbrake during hotlaps in GTR & single seater cars?
Quote from JamesPeace :Scawen, since you are correcting hotlapping - may I ask what (if any) measures are being made to disallow the use of handbrake during hotlaps in GTR & single seater cars?

And oversteering fast setup who take advantage of physics flaw, automatique clutch macro on wheel profiler for fz GTR for example, side by side crash on multiplayer....

I think it's up to the incoming physics update to correct all those phys exploit.
handbrake is used to keep the car on the starting grid, so if removed, something new as to be brought to not have the car falling at Blackwood for example. But yes, clearly, using handbrake to be quicker (and it is real) on the race cars we have is silly Big grin
Maybe giving them a very low (Nm) force associated with a kind of lag when using it through a buton (I know this will not calm cheaters for long ...) could cure this (invalidating hotlapping is one (good) thing, but if in multiplayer it still allows people to go quicker, the issue is not solved)
It will be a good opportunity to fix all of these little loop-holes. I also think Button Clutch needs sorting (there should be no advantage over Auto Clutch).
I'd even go so far as to either limit cars to being RHD or LHD or ballast the cars so that the driver-side does not affect performance. (If you think it makes no difference, look at FernBay Club and Club Rev hotlap charts for XFG and UF1).
Quote from sinbad :It will be a good opportunity to fix all of these little loop-holes. I also think Button Clutch needs sorting (there should be no advantage over Auto Clutch).
I'd even go so far as to either limit cars to being RHD or LHD or ballast the cars so that the driver-side does not affect performance. (If you think it makes no difference, look at FernBay Club and Club Rev hotlap charts for XFG and UF1).

I have mixed feelings about fixing handbrake issues (mainly, why care?).

I agree that button clutch does seem like it needs fixing, though I admit I'm still a bit unclear about how it works etc (and why it makes a difference!... engine/clutch model needs a tweak? I'd have thought that making it equal to auto clutch ought to be trivial).

You've totally lost me on the RHD/LHD issue though: why on earth would you want to change that? It's entirely physically realistic for the driver position to matter...
Quote from Neilser :
You've totally lost me on the RHD/LHD issue though: why on earth would you want to change that? It's entirely physically realistic for the driver position to matter...

Realism? Yes, and no. Uneven weight distribution is realistic. Having a car, and being able to switch the driver side is not. You could argue if the cars were real, you could choose, but if they're for a one-make-cup or series like that, you most likely could not. But ignoring all that, the cars are all identical in every way, what's the point of having an advantage to being sat on one side or the other?

There are realism concessions all over the place to allow for parity and fair competition. IRL not every single engine makes identical HP, surely nobody would want that, no matter how realistic.
hard subject about LHD / RHD. In the begining I found very pleasant to have different adavantages given to the driver according to its country's specifications ... but when lots of people were not using cockpit view and were switching the driver position to take 0.1s per corner ... sometimes you feel bad Big grin (I have learned to drive with hood view because of this).
Hope it will not end like the roof option for LX and UF1000 : first it was giving a weight advantage (for the UF only) against a worse Cx ... everybody was then using the roof on, and then Scawen removed the adavantages/penalties ... sad end ! Simulation is put in the background while it should have been the main subject ! AC has found the workaround : put 2 versions of the same car with slightly different characteristics Big grin
In the end, maybe an hardcore 'option' would fit everybody : hotlap or multiplayer host only allowing onboard cam for example.

PS : agree on the f*cking buton clutch Thumbs up
I wouldn't mind invisible passenger on the other front seat in every hot lap stock car...

[trolling]
But, in the end, those are just training cars for open wheels, right? Big grin So you are worried about problem, which doesn't exist, just start to use the real racing gadget, where the seat is in center... Big grin [/t]
Quote from Flotch :
Hope it will not end like the roof option for LX and UF1000 : first it was giving a weight advantage (for the UF only) against a worse Cx ...

Really? I thought all real cabrios were heavier than the basic models because they need so much extra stiffening... It's all before my time in LFS :-)
Pretty random, but I give a shot...

Any support or plans to make a section about how fast can a time can be driven with all possible shortcuts, but without hitting objects?
Quote from Neilser :Really? I thought all real cabrios were heavier than the basic models because they need so much extra stiffening... It's all before my time in LFS :-)

UF has an hard top, so when removed, it makes the car to weight less (considering you do not keep it somewhere in the car to perform races Big grin )
LX have a soft top, so only Cx is affected when off.
There is a "shortcut" on the hairpin of Aston North Reverse that is not detected. This is a snapshot of the lap uploaded on LFSWorld, and 0.6K2 does not see it as "out of the bounds" stuff.
Attached images
lfs_00000034.jpg
Quote from aanrus :Sorry for offtop, this is was previously.
LFS number plate (bug)

I have tried to reproduce this but I see my number all the time. I don't see the blank plate.

Quote from sinbad :It will be a good opportunity to fix all of these little loop-holes. I also think Button Clutch needs sorting (there should be no advantage over Auto Clutch).

I'm not really planning to work on many hotlap exploits at the moment. I can take a look to see the the handbrake could be disabled in single seaters if you are above the "lock on" speed.

Can you describe exactly what the button clutch issue is? I know it's an old thing, but if I ever knew what it was, I've forgotten.

I suspect any fix without a proper physics update might cause all the hotlaps to go OOS. The code in the middle of physics processing is very sensitive to any changes, though some things can be done.

Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Pretty random, but I give a shot...

Any support or plans to make a section about how fast can a time can be driven with all possible shortcuts, but without hitting objects?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote from Flotch :There is a "shortcut" on the hairpin of Aston North Reverse that is not detected. This is a snapshot of the lap uploaded on LFSWorld, and 0.6K2 does not see it as "out of the bounds" stuff.

What is the replay name? So I can find it easily.
Quote from Scawen :I'm not really planning to work on many hotlap exploits at the moment. I can take a look to see the the handbrake could be disabled in single seaters if you are above the "lock on" speed

no
Quote from Scawen :...

http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=55745

addendum :

Quote from Scawen :
Can you describe exactly what the button clutch issue is? I know it's an old thing, but if I ever knew what it was, I've forgotten.

Instead of using autoclutch, you press a buton to simulate the clutch. As it is quicker, you have almost no speed loss when changing gear. So the advantages given to manual clutch user (I mean using a pedal) is there anhilated by people pressing a buton / or having a macro pressing the clutch when engaging the gear for example. The advantage is quite unfair for people really using a pedal.
example on an old hotlap I did on South City Sprint 1 with the UFR :
http://www.lfsworld.net/rafa/?raf1=Emyn_SO2_UFR_049840&raf2=Flotch_SO2_UFR_049970
other faster guys are using bc thing, on the rafa comparison you can see that on the straight he is changing gear quicker than me, spending less time on it, having a higher top speed. I do think he is using the same kind of setup than mine ... so this is not the pressure in the tires that is making him quicker.
More vicious people are using a macro to simulate an axis when changing gear, resulting in instant gear change Big grin
Forgive me if I am wrong, but if the guy is using the left foot for clutch, and right foot for braking and accelerating he is quite good :
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=60476
#43 - 5tag
Sorry for off-topic:

Quote from cargame.nl :[...] curbs "biting" [...]

I'm fairly sure it's the current tyre physics. Rather than simulating the whole tread it seems to calculate the forces based on one single point of the contact patch. So when you cut the curbs hard, it's just that one point travelling inside the curb and then suddenly hitting the inside edge of the curb (>70° angle, so basically like a wall although just a few centimetres high).

For that short moment, the tyre point has nowhere left to go while the car+wheel continues to travel further away from the curb. Inertia prevents the car from just sticking to the inside curb edge like a train so the tyre model gets stretched until it glitches out of the curb, changing the contact point's position almost instantly and thus sending a jolt through wheels, suspension and ultimately the whole car.
Quote from Scawen :I have tried to reproduce this but I see my number all the time. I don't see the blank plate.

I'm not really planning to work on many hotlap exploits at the moment. I can take a look to see the the handbrake could be disabled in single seaters if you are above the "lock on" speed.

I suspect any fix without a proper physics update might cause all the hotlaps to go OOS. The code in the middle of physics processing is very sensitive to any changes, though some things can be done.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I think it also would be good time to equalize the speed of button clutch vs autoclutch since in the end you gain free speed without any extra effort except pressing another button (or not even with effort using a macro for the button press). It also would be pretty easy to implement, just decrease the maximum button rate speed to be equal on the speed with autoclutch or just make autoclutch as fast as the quickest possible button rate. That way you wouldn't gain speed but could use the button clutch for extra control. Analog clutch axis should also be controlled in-game so that you can't have it calibrated for like value of 0-1, so that you have basically even faster button clutch.
The clutch problem has pretty easy solution.

Autoclutch works with the specific speed which is say 0.25 seconds to travel from 0 to 1.

When you calculate user input you just have to compare current input with previous value and if it traveled by more than this speed allows, you damp it back to the maximum possible value that the fixed speed allows.

The code would look like:

// assuming we run on 100Hz

// variables description
const float clutch_max_speed = 0.25 / 100;

float clutch; // the value you will put in the physics calculation
float user_input_clutch; // the value you get from your input system every frame

// now follows the code you run every frame
{
float delta = user_input_clutch - clutch;
if (abs(delta) > clutch_max_speed) {
clutch += sign(delta) * clutch_max_speed;
} else {
clutch = user_input_clutch;
}
}

Quote from JamesPeace :Scawen, since you are correcting hotlapping - may I ask what (if any) measures are being made to disallow the use of handbrake during hotlaps in GTR & single seater cars?

bravo Thumbs up
Quote from vitaly_m :Autoclutch works with the specific speed which is say 0.25 seconds to travel from 0 to 1.
[...]

const float clutch_max_speed = 0.25 / 100;

It's fairly clear what you're trying to achieve here, but if you're gonna post actual code you should probably check over it first Wink
In this case, you've miscalculated your clutch_max_speed constant (hint: it gets SMALLER if you reduce the time from say 0.25 seconds to 0.1, when it should get bigger...). The rest of it may or may not be OK Thumbs up
Quote from Neilser :It's fairly clear what you're trying to achieve here, but if you're gonna post actual code you should probably check over it first Wink
In this case, you've miscalculated your clutch_max_speed constant (hint: it gets SMALLER if you reduce the time from say 0.25 seconds to 0.1, when it should get bigger...). The rest of it may or may not be OK Thumbs up

In this case in the code I have 0.25 per second, while I rather wanted 4 per second.
Quote from vitaly_m :The clutch problem has pretty easy solution.

The solution is simple to code.

What is not simple is the decision to introduce code that makes many of the existing hotlaps go OOS. Maybe it's not just 'many' but ALL of the ones without auto-clutch. I suppose all the hotlaps where someone pressed their axis clutch quickly would be invalidated.

It's exactly the sort of thing which I normally think is best avoided until the new physics comes out which will invalidate all hotlaps.
You may introduce a minimum time to engage the clutch in aim to be able to change the gear. Instant gear change is not so possible in real life.

But yes, it seems wise to not loose time to delete hotlpas with this before you will naturally delete all hotlaps for the awaited new tire physics ^^
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6K2 (now K26)
(462 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG